Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Widgeon Part Deux - Dumas kit #328 (Read 2554 times)
Reply #20 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 2:33pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I enjoy that too - we had a rainy day here yesterday and I spent much of it looking on all of the modeling forums and fan pages at all the amazing models folks have built. The Guillows site, VirtualAerodrome, This site and others.. there are so many skilled artists and airplane fanatics building flying models and display models of extreme detail and precision. Very inspiring!

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 3:49pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

That is a nice-looking plane.

I enjoy looking at all the threads of other people's builds.

Ed

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 6:29pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Heywoood,

Very well done!  Thank you for your reply on the side-mounted windows.  Beautiful model all around.  Very impressive!

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:13pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

so the side windows are cut from very thin clear acetate - it was the remainder from the sheet that came with the Stinson Reliant kit. So when I cut out the windows from the birch ply siding I used the Widgeon kit provided side window decals as the template. Just cut one off the decal sheet, trimmed it to just a bit oversized - maybe a millimeter all around - and traced it onto the siding in the four places where I needed to cut. Then after the plane was completely assembled and painted, I traced the same window decal onto the clear acetate with a fine point sharpie and cut each one out leaving the black line intact as the the window surround. I also rounded the corners of the acetate windows to help hide them as surface mounted. So what you see is the black outline over the silver paint as if the windows were inserted instead of surface mounted. White glue applied with a fine paint brush directly to the aircraft around each window opening and then carefully lay each window centered carefully over the opening so that black line was even and visible all the way around. My 'Reply #7' below shows the effect pretty well I guess...

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 4:36pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Heywoood:  First off, your model of the Grumman Widgeon is outstanding.  I'm really impressed with the level of attention you gave it.  Just so you'll know, when I was a young oh, 15 years old, I was lucky enough to get a ride in the Goose (radial engines) from Long Beach, CA., to Catalina Island off the coast of L.A.  Man, I was in Heaven!  Just a quick question.  How did you glue in the side windows?

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 3:31pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Thank you, MKelly
I appreciate that and I agree - the CG colors do look good on this kit.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:04pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

That came out really nice! Love the Coast Guard colors.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 1:59pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I have to agree..the Pink Lady served her purpose - my little Olivia loves to have it hanging in her room. But this is a proper suit of clothes for the Grumman baby Goose.

Thanks for that kind appraisal, LWM - I find the infill process calming and meditative. Plus I like the challenge of working toward that perfect, smooth surface.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Heywood - you
ARE
the master of
infill planking
!!  Cool  Your cylinder wrapping is excellent!  Exquisite Widgeon!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 7:30am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Heywooood - Glad to see you back and yes, another perfect build. Must say this one is my preference over the pink one.
New Builder
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:32pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

overhead and a look at the wing float bracing

q7R4N3r.jpg (215 KB | )
q7R4N3r.jpg
FbJHs8W.jpg (169 KB | )
FbJHs8W.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:28pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

a bit more detail on the nacelles - not a whole lot to the conversion really..

rqDy5R7.jpg (245 KB | )
rqDy5R7.jpg
iB2roJJ.jpg (100 KB | )
iB2roJJ.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:17pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

here you can see the cowlings before and after I shortened them

hs95jNh.jpg (95 KB | )
hs95jNh.jpg
0sFik1X.jpg (83 KB | )
0sFik1X.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 4:15pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

couple more pictures

5GJB53Z.jpg (66 KB | )
5GJB53Z.jpg
OptnuUS.jpg (73 KB | )
OptnuUS.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 4:13pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding...the perfect example of the resourcefulness of S&T modelers!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print