I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Industry on Parade....

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:40am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Fuselage box...3/32" well-aged, like whiskey.  15"ws version used 1/16" of course, but this 18"ws version relieves me of that struggle with the larger-sized strip-wood...at least, that's the choice I've made.

The Bristol Aeroplane Company, originally the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company(very quaint...love that), was both one of the first and one of the most important British aviation companies, designing and manufacturing both airframes and aircraft engines. Notable aircraft produced by the company include the 'Boxkite', the Bristol Fighter, the Bulldog, the Blenheim, the Beaufighter, and the Britannia, and much of the preliminary work which led to the Concorde was carried out by the company. In 1956 its major operations were split into Bristol Aircraft and Bristol Aero Engines. In 1959, Bristol Aircraft merged with several major British aircraft companies to form the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) and Bristol Aero Engines merged with Armstrong Siddeley to form Bristol Siddeley.

BAC went on to become a founding component of the nationalised British Aerospace, now BAE Systems. Bristol Siddeley was purchased by Rolls-Royce in 1966, who continued to develop and market Bristol-designed engines. The BAC works were in Filton, about 4 miles (6 km) north of Bristol city centre. BAE Systems, Airbus, Rolls Royce, MBDA and GKN still have a presence at the Filton site where the Bristol Aeroplane Company was located.

Quite a legacy...and a current construction site right here where I am.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:16pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Mike...I agree, the Bristol Fighter is quite the subject...the more I learn about the actual aircraft, the more I'm impressed.  I'm not certain that anyone except Bristol really appreciated it's capabilities...until they finally couldn't deny it!  The RFC was presented with that elusive multi-purpose combat airplane (aeroplane)...the Mosquito of WWI.

Like most of those old kit plans, there's always something left to the builder with regard to design.  I've yet to come up with a good plan for attaching that lower wing.  Once I've got it installed...the rest should be SOP.  I can imagine your challenge back in the 70's....

I'm stunned by your Skyrocket, Mike...that is my idea of perfection in modeling.  Absolutely beautiful achievement.

Thanks again, Mike.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:09pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Great subject for your build, Neal!  I've got a soft spot for this airplane - in the early 1970s my father spent several months in England, and came back with a number of Airfix kits for us kids to build (I was aged single digits then).  The F2B was one of them, and was probably the most complex kit I'd built to that point.  After many years it ended up in pieces in a box of plastic model parts - when I retired my son and I went through the boxes and he picked out the fuselage and wings from that F2B to build a creation.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress and admiring the finished airplane.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:35am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

The subject of this build has been inspired by the flying career of Andrew Edward McKeever DSO, MC & Bar, DFC (21 August 1894 – 25 December 1919), a Canadian World War I two-seater flying ace who, in conjunction with his gunners, was credited with 31 victories. He was the highest scoring two-seater fighter pilot in the Royal Flying Corps or Royal Air Force.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/canada/mckeever.php

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:24pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Attention:  THIS IS NOT A DRILL...it's a circle cutter.

Kerak wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:58pm:
A plastic one.  I'm sorry, Rick...just couldn't resist that one. Grin Grin Grin  Reminds me of an interview I saw once with George Harrison...this media guy was trying to cultivate a conversation from the Beatle..."What kind of strings do you use on your guitar?"  Harrison came back with "Long shiny ones." 

Here's a website Rick...not expensive...and works well as long as you've got the center point well anchored into a cutting surface (so it won't skid around).

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=circle+cutter

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Nice one Neal...where'd you find this one?
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:37pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well...I have the fantastic Model C-101 Circle Cutter...$6.99...removes warts and can also perform tonsillectomies in an emergency!  It cuts circles as well.  Has a built in compass, too...'case you're lost.

Neal

C-101.jpg (316 KB | )
C-101.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I have the Olfa 9911 CMP-1 Compass Circle Cutter at the bottom of the page and it works quite well. Around $14 U.S..
I find a drop of thin CA into the initial center hole before completing the circle cut keeps the center hole from going oblong.

For me the secret is taking my time and not forcing the cutting of the circle.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:28am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Here is the link to Olfa Products Circle Cutter
https://www.amazon.ca/Olfa-1057028-Rotary-Circle-Cutter/dp/B001CEAMCY/ref=sr_1_7...
$26.27 Canadian
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:21am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

As I said...easy components first...here's a bit of tail-feathers.  I've modified the Comet design to allow a continuous horizontal stabilizer...will require modification of the aft fuselage to accommodate.  I have little faith in my ability to get it straight with equal degrees of incidence using the old Comet method of attachment.  They were undoubtedly smarter than myself...using less wood and correspondingly less weight...and also far less a clumsy builder than I.  Oh well...I love Comet Models...something to aspire to...been admiring them for more than half a century now. Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:10am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Rick - Olfa products makes a circle cutter also. I got mine from Amazon for us here in Canada.
New Builder
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:58pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

A plastic one.  I'm sorry, Rick...just couldn't resist that one. Grin Grin Grin  Reminds me of an interview I saw once with George Harrison...this media guy was trying to cultivate a conversation from the Beatle..."What kind of strings do you use on your guitar?"  Harrison came back with "Long shiny ones." 

Here's a website Rick...not expensive...and works well as long as you've got the center point well anchored into a cutting surface (so it won't skid around).

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=circle+cutter

Made a graphic for my F2B tissue-cals.  Process is to tape white tissue to 8x10 cardstock...print graphic (sized according to model)...then flip the printed tissue sheet over so the back side is now showing...lightly mist-spray with rattle-can white to give cals slight opacity...also makes them more durable and less likely to be effected by glu-stick when attaching.  Carefully cut out and attach.  That's it....easy things first.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Nice job on the wheels Neil.    Smiley   Looks like a "dished" dome on the outer side of the wheel, and a nice radius on the inside and outside of the tires.  And
REALLY
lightweight too!  What kind of "circle cutter" is that?
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print