Send Topic Print
Marcoux Bromberg (Read 4010 times)
Reply #65 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 11:57pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Amazing how great minds think alike.  Back and forth from airframe to cockpit and outside again.  It's a wonder we ever see any progress.  Not to worry.  We'll see the end.  You're doing great.  The horizontal stab/ elevator will be good.  Don't see what the issue is.  Maybe I missed something?

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:05am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Decided to set aside the elevator assembly for a while to give it some room to float around in my mind for another solution so turned to finishing the fuselage former design. To create these I needed to layout and measure the formers from the top and side view drawings, taking the available height and width of the fuselage at the relative stations. W. F. Kerka used the actual stations and there are 18 of them so the development took a couple of hours spread out over quite a few days. It all looks relatively simple but blending the curves to the actual outline when it is not shown except in photos makes for some time at the drawing board. Next week I'm off to the copy center for a copy as is and a copy in mirror image so to be able to cut them apart, tape them back together in their correct orientation and make the formers. Will also need to go to the workshop and modify my assembly fixture to accommodate all the formers and then probably another blending exercise to make the fuselage flow correctly. At that point, just another stick and tissue model, ....sorta.

From there and while in the assembly fixture, I'll begin assembly of the wing starting with the rib layout and building along with the front and rear spar. Like Gary says, it all seems to go back to the cockpit so the wing fuselage joining will be interesting, a lot of interconnecting features going on there. More to come.
Mike

Overview_Left.jpg (48 KB | 3 )
Overview_Left.jpg
Overview_Right.jpg (46 KB | 2 )
Overview_Right.jpg

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 11:54am

New Builder   Offline

Woke up in the night thinking about the Marcoux Bromberg and how the elevator would not descend beyond the tail section of the fuselage, so today was surgery day. Laid out the cut with yellow tape and began cutting and at about a dozen slices, felt the knife exit the far side. Took off the tape and started to pick out the cutout and came up with two halves, not what I needed today. Was able to glue one side securely with CA and aligned the two pieces and added a temporary brace. When the glue is dry will add one to the far side, smooth out the rather ugly cuts and add the elevator to the horizontal stab. Better luck from here on out...hopefully.
Mike

Broken_Hinge_1.jpg (128 KB | 6 )
Broken_Hinge_1.jpg
Broken_Hinge_2.jpg (107 KB | 6 )
Broken_Hinge_2.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 11:37am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Great work.  I know exactly what you mean about adjusting to the tablet.  My antique iPhone 4 gave out and I was "forced" to upgrade to iPhone X!  Wow, what a change!  still scratching my head what happened.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 6:32am

New Builder   Offline

Hi Gary - Thanks for the nice words and a little progress is all right with me, nothing but time so can experiment and do it right. Trying a new photo method. These pics came from my tablet and is light years ahead of my simple digital camera I have been using. Needs an extra step to move them from my tablet to my computer but seems to be worth the effort. These pics show the assembly of the elevator and the horizontal stab. Need to get to the store for some epoxy to bond the hinges to the horizontal stab then add the top covering, add the tips, sand, etc. As mentioned earlier, back to the wing.
Mike

Elevator_Stab_2.jpg (101 KB | 7 )
Elevator_Stab_2.jpg
Elevator_Stab_3.jpg (115 KB | 7 )
Elevator_Stab_3.jpg
Elevator_Stab_4.jpg (112 KB | 9 )
Elevator_Stab_4.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #60 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 9:40pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Wow.... You really have come a long ways on the racer.  Kudos to you and your easy-going pace to give you some artistic license as you go along.  I know exactly what you mean.  You've done a fantastic job on the horizontal stab.  I'll definitely be watching over your shoulder and learn as you go along.

Thank you for your posts!  Thank you

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:53am

New Builder   Offline

Hi Paul - Thanks for the good words and looking in. It's going a bit slow since there is a lot of design work going on since there is nothing to go on except the very good three view drawings. I'm stealing some functionality from the AT6 but having to design my way into the rest of it.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:45am

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Looks great Mike Smiley
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 7:19am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
I think you're already building an rc ship, Mike

A lot of things will come before that ever happens again, like buying a yacht, moving to China, I'll even build another peanut before going back to RC. All the components and the mess, this is the quiet form of this hobby that I need at this point in my life. I chose the hinge as a nice substitute for making one and it will mostly be covered when all is said and done. Wait till you see what I have ready for the piano hinge replica for the flap arrangement. That's a bit down the road however. Moving back to the wing, more small parts to make a bigger part.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 4:32pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I think you're already building an rc ship, Mike!  Cheesy Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 7:10am

New Builder   Offline

Elevator covering complete and tips added and shaped. Will need a bit of final sanding and then add to the horizontal stabilizer, cover that, add the tips there, sand to final shape and move back to the wing. Counted up the small pieces in the elevator and came out to 26 parts. Structure is very strong now and can handle pretty well to sand and fill.

Been thinking that this may make a pretty good rubber powered model with a bunch of weight reduction. Will have the fuselage formers completed and the wing outline done so with some light wood and a sliced rib wing, may fly fairly well.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 8:19am

New Builder   Offline

Hi Neal - Ironing on covering is a technique that allows sheeting to be added to a compound curved surface such as the horizontal stab section of my airplane. The surface curves down in the horizontal direction as well as the front to back direction and I just don't have enough fingers to hold everything in place till the glue dries. All that is necessary is to apply two full strength coatings of white or yellow glue to the surfaces desired to be bonded together and let each coat dry between applications. Then I usually glue some surface in a small place just to hold the sheeting from sliding around. Then set a household iron to a fairly warm setting and literally iron on the covering. The heat reactivates the glue enough to adhere to each other and cure hard. Be sure everything is where you want it as this is absolutely permanent and "bark on tree tight", no rework can be done. I'm using 1/32" covering and the heat is moderately warm, my convention is just don't turn the wood brown. I also bought a small travel iron at our local Value Village for about $5.00 and use it just for this application. I think this methodology originated in a veneering shop by some enterprising woodworker that didn't want to use the usual application of hot hide glue and veneer hammering. It'd a bit messy but absolutely traditional.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 9:05pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Looking good, Mike...iron on?  I've missed something.... Huh

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:30am

New Builder   Offline

Back to work on the horizontal stab hinge solution and it is well under control. Got the hinges in and the frame stabilized so I could actually touch it without breaking it. The bottom cover on the horizontal stab is done and ironed on and the bottom of the elevator is done and ironed on also. Time to trim it up, install the mating surfaces and iron the final covering.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 1:24pm

New Builder   Offline

Hi Neal - Thanks for the good words and for looking in. I knew somebody would recognize the hinge. I started to build some and went to the model shop before I got started, glad I did. Think I'm going to use thick CA for the tube, maybe can control it a bit more then iron on the skin and assemble the whole thing.
Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print