Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pratt & Whitney "Wasp" R-1340 (Read 2161 times)
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:03pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Okay, that didn’t take long. In a spirit of levity, I actually cut new inner discs out of the bottom of the box a Guillows 402 Mustang kit came in. They were easy to keep round, the hole left by the Olfa cutter didn’t hog out like it did in the balsa, and consequently they lined up nicely on my high-tech jig. As a bonus, the fin count came up perfect. Looks like I’m making eight more...
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:10pm by Craig 3 »  

IMG_2094.jpg (61 KB | )
IMG_2094.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I save my cereal boxes for the cardboard.  It's probably thinner than a Guillows kit box.  But I use them to make flexible straight edges.  I can use a Sharpie ultra thin point marker to mark panel line breaks etc which makes putting panel lines on a model much easier.  A bit of masking tape to hold in place and I get a nice sharp line. Using the masking tape for the stopping point gives a nice clean stop without running past a line also.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:02pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

But, speaking od cardboard, before I jump into prototyping a cylinder head, I'm going to try something and see if I can turn out a lower cylinder I like better than these. I cut a surfeit of manila discs, so it should be a quick job. I'm shooting for 11 fins in a 5/16" stack. Changing the cylinders out at this point would be easy.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:58pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Tom, you're right- I should have been more specific and said "Guillows box thickness," We all know the cardboard in a Guillows box is heavier than the equivalent cardboard in say, a Diels box Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I know it's bad to assume anything, but I'm assuming the "Guillows box" reference is for the cardboard material of the "Guillows box" rather than a special Guillow's tool!   Grin Wink

I know some have used Brass tubes of the proper internal diameter to use as a punch by sharpening the opening with a round jewelers file to get a very sharp edge.  I've done this often for various lightening tools for wing ribs etc.  I cut several with the tube before using a dowel to punch out the discs from the tube.  resharpen as needed and punch more.  The brass works well.

I've noticed that some of the fellows on HPA are starting to use a craft cutter machine to cut out those discs and wing ribs, as well as various fuselage formers.  Click Here

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:56am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Mike, I got pretty good at cutting circles out of the manila and ovals out if the balsa with the circle cutter- that tool takes some finesse, for sure, but my experience with punches and dies was similar to yours. On the next one, I’ll use something like a Guillows box for the inner discs- my calculations say I should have eleven fins at this height and I have only eight, but I still think it’ll look better than spiral-wound thread. Live and learn! Oh, and perfection is the mortal enemy of “good enough”

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:49am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for paving the way here and a great job on your creation. I started on the same road as you for the engine for my Marcoux Bromberg (and a couple of other race planes with P&W engines) and tried the manila folder (and bond paper) cylinder method but could not keep them flat and my experience with the circle cutter was rather a mess. I did however paint the manila pieces with thin white glue and clamped between two boards and waxed paper and that worked pretty well, it even thinned them down a bit. Bought a Harbor Freight punch and die set to make the fins but the fit between the punch and die was so bad the tool is now a door stop on a windy day. I'll be following right behind you soon.
Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:20am by New Builder »  

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:38am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Some progress- but I imagine I'll be lucky to crank out one upper cylinder a day.

IMG_2083.jpg (114 KB | )
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg (60 KB | )
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg (81 KB | )
IMG_2086.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:22pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Figured I'd split the cylinders into upper & lower sections to see how this idea would work- since the lower section has a straight profile and the upper section gets complicated rather quickly. Alternating discs of 1/32" balsa and manila folder, over a base made of a1/32" flange and a 1/16" disc before the fins start. Not perfect, but I think it will work OK.

IMG_2052.JPG (79 KB | )
IMG_2052.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG (38 KB | )
IMG_2079.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 7:48pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Tom- I'll probably fake the fasteners with whatever I can whip up- it's almost a 4 hour round trip to the "Local" hobby shop Smiley

Got a bit more done- meaning the pushrod tube bosses, made of 3/16" brass tubing to accept 1/16" aluminum pushrod tubes. From the period photos I can find of this ac, the front crankcase was probably painted gray, with the remainder of the crankcase bare aluminum (like the illustrated engine). Also, it looks like the ignition harness was in the back, again like this one.

Now for the fun part- trying to make cylinders with fins that look like fins instead of thread trying in vain to simulate fins. I can see a lot of time with the Olfa cutter and some card stock in my future...

IMG_2051.JPG (108 KB | )
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (91 KB | )
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG (91 KB | )
IMG_2082.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:40pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Very nice Craig.... thanks for sharing this build with us.  If you have a Model Rail Road shop in your area I'd recommend a visit.  They usually have all kinds of miniature fittings and bolt and screw heads that might fit your needs.  Sometimes a strategically sanded (hex or octagonal sides) balsa dowel rounded from 1/16" sq or small strips might work for you.  Check our JohnO's tutorials for some ideas.
Tom

IP Logged

Apr 8th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

In the queue, there are two aircraft which seem, because of the complexity & scale accuracy of the plans, are destined to be static builds. One is the Cleveland plan for "Mr Mulligan," the Howard DGA-6 of racing fame, and one is the Megow's plan for the Stinson Reliant SR7-A, another really complex build. Both ar in 3/4" (1/16) scale.

While the Howard was powered by a P&W Wasp of 850 horsepower, with the Stinson being propelled by a Lycoming  R-680-4 of 225 hp, they were both 9-cylinder radials and quite similar, save for size, in construction and appearance.

I'm going to start cutting balsa for one of them pretty soon. Well, I flipped a coin and technically I guess I have. I like starting with the engine anyway.

While the Wasp I did for the F4B was ok for for a "flier," it was at best stand-off scale, and fortunately for me had a shroud over the crankcase. Not so on the Howard- so I'm going to have to step it up. I got this much done in the wee hours, and a couple hours this morning. I gotta go find some teeny bolts now.

IMG_2041.JPG (67 KB | )
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG (75 KB | )
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG (86 KB | )
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG (95 KB | )
IMG_2050.JPG
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print