Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motor too weak or plane too heavy? (Read 723 times)
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 11:18am

Balsa Bandit   Offline

It does seem like there's some vibration in the shaft that is limiting the rpm. The thrust bearing is plastic, so I'll look in to adjusting the shaft and perhaps getting a washer or bead.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Volare and Easy Built Model Supplies both have washers and beads that can be used for this purpose.

I got a bag of assorted glass beads years ago with the small glass Indian beads crafts supplies use for bracelets and necklaces and other types of jewelery crafts, not sure where I got it so long ago...but Michael's might have them and Walmart might as well.  You just need a bearing as Ian has suggested. 

The prop shaft is also a good thing to check. 
Ian has touched all the right bases from what I can tell.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 12:48pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Even a 5" prop should pull the model along fairly speedily on the ground. I would consider a 7" prop, or even as small as a 6" prop for that size model, but it sounds like you are getting some kind of binding in the prop/noseblock/shaft area. There should be some kind of washer/bearing between the plastic prop and the thrust bearing (especially if the thrust bearing is wood) to keep binding from happening at that point. But if there is some bend in the prop shaft that is impeding the turning of the prop shaft, then it will need to be replaced. If possible, install a new (larger) prop with a new prop shaft and a washer between the prop and thrust bearing. It should work.
  If someone else has other suggestions, speak up please.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Balsa Bandit   Offline

It's an 18" wingspan built more or less straight from the Dumas kit. It comes with a 5" Guillows prop and a single loop of rubber listed as FAI Tan II rubber.

If I put it on the floor, the prop does pull it along, but not very fast.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:05pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Need just a bit more info. Wingspan of model. Diameter of prop. Size of rubber. Number of loops of rubber. Are you using the prop from the kit. Is it a Guillows prop. Does it run freely. If you try to ROG it on a hard surface (floor, asphalt ...), does the model at least run along the ground like the prop is pulling it along.
ian

IP Logged

Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:39pm

Balsa Bandit   Offline

I'm trying to get my Ryan M-1 (my first flying model) into flying trim but have run into a snag.

With no turns on the motor, the model will glide down to land about 20' in front of me. With 400 turns on the motor, it will go about 22'. 600 turns, 22'. 800 turns, 22'.

It doesn't actually seem that the motor is providing much thrust. It's spinning and all. It just doesn't seem to change the flight characteristics much. I have noticed that more turns doesn't seem to make the prop spin much faster.

Am I missing something?

S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print