Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Applying Decals Over Acrylic Paint (Read 2275 times)
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:51pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

The Sunnyscopa decal paper that I ordered from Amazon worked like any decal method...put in water for a minute or so, decal loosens up, apply to surface, blot out bubbles, etc. I thought the decal itself seems 'thicker' than what is typical of plastic models. These are also quite shiny and detract from the military matte finish. Maybe a matte overspray can fix that.

No heat or glue required.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:56pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

First I've never heard of the Sunnyscopa paper... did a little research and from what I saw on YouTube there are two types, A & B... "A" apparently needs heat to set and I'm talking oven heat...Where the "B" doesn't need the additional oven heat after the heat gun/hair dryer.   I'll be interested to see how this works.  I saw that there were two types of glue as well for glossy surfaces and for rough surfaces. 

I'm more use to traditional decal sheets where the glue is already on the back of the decal film.  This stuff works better on a smooth glossy surface.  Solva-set works well with this type of decal...not sure it would work with Sunnyscopa paper.

I'll be interested to see how this works out.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

May 3rd, 2018 at 12:45pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I have just applied my first waterslide-type decals and have a question or two.

The model is a Polish WW2 fighter and airbrushed with acrylics. The decals were printed on Sunnyscopa paper.

Questions...should I spray the model with sealer (Krylon) before applying the decals? The acrylic finish feels 'grainy' to me and I am concerned about the instructions about not applying over a 'porous' finish.

Should I use a decal sealer such as Solva-Set once the decal has been applied?

Finally, should I apply some type of clear coat as a final step?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print