Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one) (Read 25181 times)
Reply #284 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 9:26pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Good evening gentlemen,

I'm jumping ahead of myself and showing the progress of the left side wall so far.  After I've given it a pin wash of green to help pop out some of the panels, the next item on the agenda would be the bag containing the flare pistol.

I'm also enclosing the same left side wall picture of the real Mustang for comparison.

Full disclosure:  I am about to get a little bit more crazy in the detail-orientation department. 

(105 KB | 17 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___78A.jpg
(181 KB | 17 )
P-51_cockpit_interior___15A_005.png
IP Logged

Reply #283 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:24am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

My main concern was the mottled surface from the reaction of the paint acting as its own thinner from the  previous disaster.  A close look at the second picture shows the textured surface from the paint.  My thoughts were that this textured surface would only serve to highlight the mottled look with hundreds of tiny pockets of green spots scattered all over the surface.  As luck would have it, my fears were groundless (fortunately). 

I was pleasantly surprised to see how much control I had over the wash and the amount I wished to leave on the surface or to remove.  I used only the dried cotton swabs and if I removed too much of the wash, it was just a matter of adding just a touch more with the brush ready standing by. 

Overall, at this stage, I'd have to say was a good learning experience with not adding the second coat too soon, listening to my fellow member's sound advice (I actually paid attention, so please don't stop with your inputs), and the final outcome.   

I also recall reading several publications that subtlety was the key in detailing, whether it's pin washing or giving the  model a worn out weathered look.  So, I took this sage advice to heart and not added too much wash but enough to accomplish my original objective.

(150 KB | 23 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___89A.jpg
(150 KB | 18 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___90A.jpg
(96 KB | 14 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___91A_001.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #282 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:10am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Now you guys might be wondering what's all that green highlight surrounding the side attachment panels.  Well, I decided to give it a little bit of a pin wash to help those panels "pop out" as they nearly blended into the main support stand.

Why the green and not the usual burn umber or dark oil, or black?  As previous postings way back then will show, I had a lot of trouble with pin washing and decided to act on the conservative side and use green.  I know it sounds silly and might even look sillier but at least I had some limited success. 

Full disclosure:  My favorite color is green .....  Roll Eyes 

I first shot a clear coat of Rustoleum Clear over the whole thing to help give it a smoother surface to help with the capillary action of the wash.  Sorry I didn't take a picture of this. 

I mixed a high diluted solution of about 90% water and (maybe) 10% water color.  I had at least the gloss coat of green, combined with the clear coat really helped with the capillary action of the paint/water wash. 

I tried to cover all of the details.

(107 KB | 15 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor__75A.jpg
(212 KB | 17 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___92A.jpg
(107 KB | 16 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___94A.jpg
(143 KB | 16 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___95A.jpg
(133 KB | 17 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___96A.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #281 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 11:50pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Well guys, Heyoood just finished his gorgeous Stearman and here I am still dragging on and on with the Mustang.  Must be something to be said.  Age? OCD? Maybe a bit of both?

Anyway, just to jump ahead of myself when I suggested I might possibly rebuild another left side wall, as the picture will show, it came awfully close to reality.  Thanks to you guys, I listened and decided to just put the extra stuff into a box for one of those "jes' in case" emergencies.

(96 KB | 18 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___91A.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #280 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 1:10am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Thank you one and all for your collective inputs.  Means a lo and you're correct.  Some times its the old adage of "Forest for the Trees" syndrome that we so often miss.

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Reply #279 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 1:59pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ditto to what Mike and Heywood said!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #278 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 8:09am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Agree with Mike,
Remember the big picture. Once the sidewall is complete the eye will see a sidewall that is true to the Mustang.
Once the cockpit is complete the eye will see an amazing feat of scale modeling. And once the entire model is complete the eye will be far and away too busy to see a fraction of a millimeter of difference between the width of some support struts on your currently unfinished sidewall panel and that of an original that they have never seen or at best only glanced at once..
We all seem to struggle with this - the decision point on what we can and cannot accept in our own handiwork. In the end I try to limit myself to a maximum of three reworks per project. Then I ask myself - does this ‘error’ or ‘problem’ draw the eye to a standstill?
If the wing dihedral is off, if the LG is uneven, if the tail isn’t square...these stop the eye and must be reworked.
For the rest of it, each builder ultimately decides where the lines are drawn.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #277 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 7:21am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Perhaps I should rebuild the whole left wall?

I would say no to that. After all the effort you put into this and when it is buried into what is going to be a myriad of other things, and after all is said and done, may not be that visible. There will be enough other goodies to look at that nobody will give it a thought.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #276 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 1:03am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

I'm constantly comparing what I've accomplished on my left side wall with the full sized article and so far, I believe I'm coming along replicating it nicely.....  Smiley

I'll admit that the vertical supports to the box appear to be a bit on the thick side.  Perhaps I should rebuild the whole left wall?

(276 KB | 18 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___77A_001.png
(95 KB | 22 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___23A_001.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #275 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 12:59am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

During the progress of fabricating the left side wall I kept debating with myself what would suffice for trim wheels on top of the main panel, when I had to remove the cap to Krazy Glue and that's when a light bulb came on. Its got small ridges around the circumference just like the full sized trim wheels and it was about the size I needed.

So, without further ado, I simply cut off the remaining end and Voila' a trim wheel. 

Amazing what one finds laying about the house and what one's imagination will do.

(73 KB | 18 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___45A.jpg
(114 KB | 21 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___27A_001.jpg
(78 KB | 19 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___43A.jpg
(92 KB | 19 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___42A.jpg
(115 KB | 24 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___44A.jpg
(95 KB | 16 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___23A.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #274 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 11:33pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Heywoood,

Thank you for your reply and to know that I'm truly inspiring people with my posts.  It's gratifying in itself just to know that.

IP Logged

Reply #273 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 3:57pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

This is SO inspiring!!

I went very light on my P-40 interior..not because I wanted to necessarily - but because I simply cannot do this with my current skill set.

This is a clinic on how to - and it is priceless

Thank you for sharing your work flow and techniques here, SkyBoss

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #272 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 10:06am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Thank you Sky9.  It's greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Reply #271 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 11:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Isn't it always the case...we tend to make it more difficult than it needs to be!  Love your solution.  This is coming along nicely Skyediamonds...keep up the great work!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #270 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 10:38pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

I believe the following pictures are pretty much self-explanatory.  No doubt you have that "Ahh haaa" moment on how the half circle was made.  I have to admit that I spent quite a  lot of time trying to figure that one out.  Sometimes the most simplest of things can be so complicated....  Tongue

(169 KB | 18 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___57A.jpg
(154 KB | 15 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___58A.jpg
(82 KB | 14 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___53A.jpg
(107 KB | 20 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___50A.jpg
(82 KB | 20 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___48A.jpg
(93 KB | 13 )
P-51_cockpit_-model_floor___46A.jpg