Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54
Send Topic Print
2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal (Read 41292 times)
Reply #754 - May 21st, 2019 at 7:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I want to add that in making the rectangles I used steel machine squares (a good square will do) to make sure the sides are square or your fuselage side won't be square.  Then make sure you measure from the top of the side to the top of the rectangle on each side to make sure the fuselage sides are aligned accurately.  You can still build crooked fuselages if you don't take care to square up each rectangle to both side of the fuselage box.  Once you're satisfied it then becomes easy to add the cross members.  One other note...make sure your cross members are flat with the top and bottom of the sides.  If they are twisted, when you add the formers it will tilt the formers at the angle of the cross members sides.  Don't ask how I found out that little jewel!!! Embarrassed Cry Roll Eyes

I forgot how quickly these little jewels can be built.  I do prefer the 24-27" span models but these can be fun to build. Grin Wink

Here's the progress with the "Jack".  I built the wing panels today and finished the stringers on the fuselage.  I just had to add a couple of stringers on the turtle deck between the top stringer and the fuselage box top longerons.  Just too much unsupported area for me to tissue. 

I also added a top spar over the lower spar.  I'm still figuring out how the wings attach exactly.  I think I know but will be studying it a bit more.  Here's the pictures so far...
Tom
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2019 at 2:44am by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #753 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:30pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Ditto what Bob said, Tom!  It truly seems to be a sure fire method for keeping everything in line. Thanks so much for sharing this process.

Neo

IP Logged

Reply #752 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:46pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, you've taught another method in building. Thanks.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #751 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've been pulled towards that one as well.  I like the bright colors on the overall green!

I got the fuselage box done with the cross members.  I used the former patterns to cut out the foamboard rectangles.  I left off an additional 1/16" from the top and bottom of the rectangles to allow room for the cross members (1/16" SQ) so the glue doesn't stick them too, making it easier to remove them later.  I've also finished the empennage and the wing ribs are cut out.   Now to cut out the former pieces to add to the box fuselage to give the fuselage some shape with stringers.  I'm trying to stay true to the plan, so you'll see the original rib patterns used.  There's a lot more work to the fuselage formers this way.  I would normally use 1/32" patterns laminated cross grain to make the formers and dispense with the box fuselage construction completely building the formers on a jig and adding the stringers to them that way. 

Here's the pictures...

IP Logged

Reply #750 - May 16th, 2019 at 11:23pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I like the orange and the green/orange camo.

IP Logged

Reply #749 - May 16th, 2019 at 11:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

There's one other green scheme I'm looking at too....

j2m3rdk_6.jpg (52 KB | 6 )
j2m3rdk_6.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #748 - May 16th, 2019 at 9:56pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

I see where the fuse could be as the Moody Blues stated " a nightmare come true" - (New Horizons - Seventh Sojourn). Do you plan on making adjustments to the airfoil as suggested by the plans commentator?

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #747 - May 16th, 2019 at 4:37pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well...I finished the second side of the fuselage over the first. And preliminary sanding of the horizontal and vertical stabs.  I then set out cutting out the paper patterns for the fuselage formers.  This was a time consuming process.  Seems that the formers consist of at minimum four pieces for each station.  Several require up to 7 pieces.  Grain does make a difference and yet it's not denoted on the plans.  This is why I don't like building fuselages.  Give me wings everytime!!! Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink  Got all the paper patterns on the balsa now to cut out all of them and then I'll start on the fuselage.  I'm going to use the foamboard rectangles between the uprights to align the fuselage and fit the formers.  So more cutting to get the foamboard patterns ready for the building of the fuselage.  Pics to follow.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #746 - May 15th, 2019 at 11:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neo...I'm debating three schemes right now.  I really love the prototype orange scheme but the captured version in the US markings in bare metal is working hard on me as well.  The green scheme is the one with the yellow flashes on the sides... span is 15" Whitman plan...here's the pics Click for Plan

Bob... the little plastic discs are pin clamps.  They turn a "T" pin into a pin clamp.  The have a very snug fit on the pin and can slide down the pin to clamp the balsa down tight. They don't sell them anymore. I've tried the plywood one but they don't work as well.

IP Logged

Reply #745 - May 15th, 2019 at 10:51pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

That's a nice start, Tom. Is the ws 15"?  Do you plan to dress it, as many have, in the style of Lt. Aoki of the 352nd Naval Kokutai or is there another livery in mind? Not many paint schemes of the Raiden to choose from. Here's one that's colourful. The prototype. I know yours will be well done and looking forward to it.

08227.jpg (17 KB | 5 )
08227.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #744 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:46pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Either your wood is really good stuff or you are building clean. What are the grommets that I see on the T-pins?
Bob

IP Logged

Reply #743 - May 15th, 2019 at 7:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

It's called being lazy...I have stuff piled on the magnet board.   Embarrassed Roll Eyes Grin

I'm thinking about doing an embryo side build on the magnet board.  I posted the idea in the embryo board. 

I did manage to build the horizontal stab and the vertical stab. And decided to spritz the fuselage side because the top and bottom keels take a pretty sharp bend towards the nose and I wanted to relieve the stress in them. 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #742 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:18pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I see that you are not using magnets. Is there another build on the magna board?

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #741 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The Mitsubishi J2M3 Jack build has started.  Here's the printed fuselage side view taped together and then the first side started with Duco glue.  It takes a bit longer to set up but that makes for a more relaxing build.  I cut the uprights by the uprights for the first side.  Ran out of plastic wrap so a trip to the dollar store is due.  I guess two years for one roll is pretty cost effective! Cheesy Grin

Tom

j2m3_fuse_plan.jpg (83 KB | 3 )
j2m3_fuse_plan.jpg
j2m3_fuse_side1.jpg (107 KB | 5 )
j2m3_fuse_side1.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #740 - May 14th, 2019 at 8:47pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Thanks for the reply, alfakilo Grin Your photos explained things perfectly. I wonder if this created potential wing design problems.

Neo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54
Send Topic Print