Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re-purposing Guillows Kit # 26 Eagle Glider (Read 4133 times)
Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 1:12pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Fuselage ready for stringers. Rotors weigh 1.3 gm. Fuselage weighs 0.75 gm.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:53am

pb_guy   Offline

Fuselage formers and cross pieces cut out today. The 3 bays that are straight are glued up to dry.
  Our Sunday School Picnic was fine. I made balloon animals for the kids and a few ladies. Great weather.
  I was out logging in the back property today. Lots of elk poop amongst the underbrush. Unfortunately, the wife was sick last night and I think that it is my turn tonight. Might not get back to the Kayaba for a couple of days.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great...and eat some potato salad for me!!! Have a great Day of Rest!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 10:28pm

pb_guy   Offline

Second side of fuselage built. Rotors were cut out of the old wing, and former patterns and mast patterns have been laid out on the remnant of the wing pieces. There is still the Stab/rudder sheet for other parts. I have a lot of strip stock leftover. I will laminate outlines for the stab and rudders. I should be able to do the whole woodwork easily from the original plane. Tomorrow is Sunday, my day of rest. Besides, we have our Sunday School Picnic tomorrow afternoon.

ian

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 12:25am

pb_guy   Offline

OK. So the glue dried on the balsa stripper and I converted the glider fuselage into sticks. I glued up one side of the fuselage tonight. I use Gorilla Carpenter's glue for construction. The finished fuselage will be about 6 3/4" long.
ian

4_Fuselage_side.jpg (122 KB | 37 )
4_Fuselage_side.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:15am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Boy Ian...you sure love a challenge...I look forward to seeing how this one comes out!  I like the other models!  Well done! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 1:52am

pb_guy   Offline

Plane #4 This one has to be radically different. I am considering doing Ray Kierna's Kayaba KA-1 Autogyro.
I boiled the wing and have it pinned down. Objective: rotors, formers, mast.
I made a balsa stripper the width of the fuselage stick to strip 1/16" strips. I will still have to strip them again to get 1/16 " square strips but I don't know how well that will work out. They are for the fuselage structure. We will see how well it works out. I will try to use only the wood from this kit and the leftover scraps from the other 3 planes.

ian

4_Boiling_wing.jpg (45 KB | 45 )
4_Boiling_wing.jpg
4_Drying_Wing.jpg (45 KB | 37 )
4_Drying_Wing.jpg
4_Balsa_Stripper.jpg (60 KB | 34 )
4_Balsa_Stripper.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 12:19am

pb_guy   Offline

Plane #3. I dug out a 4" guillows prop. Prop bearing is 1/16" aluminum tube scored, glued and bound with thread. The rear motor peg is a bamboo toothpick glued into a hole drilled through the fuselage. I drilled a hole through the toothpick and glued a pin in place to hold the rubber when slack (ask me how I know it is needed). I cut away a lot of the excess body weight. I put cheek doublers on to prevent a possible wood split at the nose bearing area just in case the thread binding didn't work out. The incidence angle of the stab was left the same as in the original. Final weight sans rubber is 6.29 gm.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:37pm

pb_guy   Offline

No pictures. I took the catJet out and launched it using 3 linked rubber bands salvaged from off of the veggies. Got to about 50+ feet and did a fairly good transition into flight. The control actually did a fair glide when launched off the back porch, about 15 foot elevation. Went about 50 feet distance. I haven't started on the rubber power one yet. Busy with other necessary things today.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 8:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Very creative Ian...I look for more posts!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 8:21pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Cool can not wait to see them
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:59pm

pb_guy   Offline

OK Plane #2 finished. Test glides OK. Had to add just a touch of incidence in the stab. I'll wait until it is totally dry and not raining for a test launch. Final weight 4.39 gm. Wingspan is about 8 1/2 inches.

Plane #3 will be converted to rubber power, but not ROG. In keeping with the origin, I will be using a guillows prop (4 or 5") for propulsion.

Plane #4 will be a total change in design, using only the wood and adding a bit of tissue for the wings. I have a design in mind, but we will see.

ian

2_catJetA.jpg (42 KB | 35 )
2_catJetA.jpg
2_catJetB.jpg (81 KB | 38 )
2_catJetB.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:47am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ian...you've already addressed my concern about the horizontal stab.  You said it will be glued in the same plane as the wing.  I assume you mean the incidence between the wing and the horizontal stab will be the same, "0" incidence.  Those babies are designed to loop from a hand launch initially so a cat launch without changing incidence will come back and hit you in the head faster than you can duck...don't ask how I know this!!! Grin Wink

IP Logged

Jun 25th, 2018 at 1:04am

pb_guy   Offline

I saw these Guillows Eagle gliders in our local dollar store and bought 4 at $1.50 each including taxes.
I weighed them up and they came in at 6.48, 6.51, 6.64 and 8.25 grams
Plane #1
  I have decided to build one as my unaltered control model. Kit wood weighed 6.64gm. Excess wood from the die-cut pieces was removed resulting in an assembled weight of 6.39 gm.

Plane #2
  This one will be an attempt at a Cat-jet configuration. Kit wood weighed 6.48 gm.Extra weight of fuselage was stripped off and a toothpick was glued in for a launch peg. The Stab will be glued in the same plane as the wing. I'll clean it up tomorrow.

parts.jpg (68 KB | 29 )
parts.jpg
1_Original.jpg (91 KB | 37 )
1_Original.jpg
2_CatJet.jpg (90 KB | 39 )
2_CatJet.jpg
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print