Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west (Read 7145 times)
Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:13am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Whew! I'm glad the voting is over!

Now, to get busy with the infilling. The prototype AC was skinned in aluminum from the rear of the cockpit forward, and in select areas at the tail, the remainder of the fuselage being rag-on-tube.

One thing I'm a little conflicted by is the wing. As is usual with a Cleveland SF plan, it is a thing of beauty with scale rib count, and would be magnificent in doped Esaki. Alas, to be correct it will be sheeted in balsa, as the prototype was covered in plywood.

On the bright side, I have a nicely warped piece of soft 1/16" stuff out of which to cut the infill planking.

IMG_3506.jpg (101 KB | 40 )
IMG_3506.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ok, I'd go for the extra fuel tank.  Easy to make from balsa or hollowed foam.  I like easy! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:54pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Gee- a lotta help you are, Tom!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:25pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

When this happens I surf the web for pictures of each side.  As far as the interior goes, as my pappy used to say, "Take my advice and do as you please!" Remember it's what makes you happy that counts. Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:05pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Mike!

Apparently, when the Great Big Book of Drawing Plans and Photographing Aeroplanes was handed down on Mt Sinai, there was a commandment against graven images of the starboard side- yet that's where approximately 63.278% of the interesting stuff is (based on a rigorous study).

Mr Mulligan had one door, on the right side, with an odd diagonal front-hinged pillar. The plan has a pair of half-sized sketches showing everything from the seat frames to rivet detail, but nothing about framing the door up- plus, the photos I've found show a different line at the bottom.

Here's my interpretation... As Neal said, quoting Joe Ott who advised Ed Packard on this one - "They'll figure it out ." Smiley

And now, an informal poll- The DGA-6 had a rear seat- it was removed for racing- replaced with a large fuel tank and O2 bottles for the "Bendix" part of the competition. I imagine the oxygen equipment was pulled out for the "Thompson", but the empty auxiliary fuel tank may have been left in place. How would y'all like to see it modeled?

images-1_001.jpeg (6 KB | 40 )
images-1_001.jpeg
IMG_3500.jpg (148 KB | 57 )
IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3501.jpg (122 KB | 34 )
IMG_3501.jpg
IMG_3502.jpg (133 KB | 32 )
IMG_3502.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:51pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Craig - Great preventive work and that prop will undoubtedly save you some of my favorite four word combinations. Looking really good.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:06am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

A little detail on the B2 former. I laminated them from two layers of 1/32” c-grain, one piece in the front, but switching to cross-grain on the bottom half of the rear sheet. In addition, where the former necks down for the windshield pillars, right at a deep stringer notch, I relieved them and let in a short section of stiff wire. These are supported well when it’s built up, but pretty vulnerable until then- and a lot of stuff is located off the free end. The perpendicular stick at the top is a temporary prop to help locate it while glueing to the bottom keel and getting a couple stringers in.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:36pm by Craig 3 »  
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 5:11pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Gotta love that B2 former.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Gary, if you’d be so kind, I could probably use cockpit shots first if you have some. I’ll be building it up to whatever degree I can before joing the fuselage halves.

Meanwhile, got the plan traced to vellum and flipped to build the stab’d side.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Craig,
Anytime.  I'll just quietly follow your marvelous build and the photos will always be there, should you decide. 

Gary

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 8:01am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Gary- I'd love to avail myself of your reference material! I'd like to, within my capabilities, take it a couple notches above basic kit- scale wrinkle count in the map pocket is my target, but I know I'm not ready to build to that level Smiley

In the spirit of the build- a Bill Hurt anecdote. My first interaction with Bill was on the Balsa Model Aircraft Builders Association facebook page. A member had posted a picture of a plan and a bottle of cooking oil, with the caption "Has anyone ever done this?"

Now, as a guy who likes to build from Cleveland plans who invariably needs to reverse the plan at three in the ayem with the nearest Staples being a two-hour round trip and nothing on hand but a cheap desktop copier, I knew what was going on. So did Bill.

We double-teamed a whole cadre of high-tech guys with increasingly smart-aleck comments, involving charcoal, build sticks, south-facing windows, lard, mirrors, and pantographs. I'm not sure we ever convinced them that nothing was cheaper, faster, or more accurate than greasing the plan and turning it over, but we had a lot of fun with it. About a half-hour in, I got a private message from Bill along the lines of "I've been trolling your facebook page. Between the models, the race cars, and the motorcycles, we have a lot in common. Give me your number, I'll call you tomorrow." After that, as the saying goes, it was "off to the races."

Anyway, this half is ready to come off the board. I let in a few infill planks to hold it straight and square, as the cockpit will get built into it while it's still in two pieces.

Time to sharpen my quills, mix some ink, grab some vellum, and trace the plan. My copier is out of ink and it's a long trip to Staples Smiley

IMG_3456.jpg (153 KB | 49 )
IMG_3456.jpg
dga6_uncov1.jpg (73 KB | 49 )
dga6_uncov1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 2:14pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Craig,
I can really appreciate everything you've said about your dear friend, Bill Hurt, and his passing has touched all of us.  I don't know if you're interested in "super detailing" the Mr. Mulligan model, or even taking it just a few notches above the standard kit version.  If you are, I'll be happy to provide you with detailed photographs of the full sized (replica) of Mr. Mulligan that I personally took while attending the EAA AirVenture's dedication to all air racers.  It's there, that I met an unknown pilot (at the time) of a Gee Bee Model Y, and as luck and Life has it, 25 years later, this same pilot is our fellow member of S&T known as Hueyv77.  A dedicated build takes time and much reflection.  This is truly a build that has brought all of us together as -you so eloquently phrased it- family.  Gary

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Craig, I just found your thread and I will follow your progress since your work bench is so clean I want to keep track of when it becomes dirty and cluttered like mine. Shocked.

Those in our life that have an effect on our outlook or who we look up to, enrich us in more ways than we know.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

For instance, up towards the front it gets pretty floppy until a few stringers go in- NO keel at the top of B1.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 1:48pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Good tip, Ian- I've started to fall back on that system more and more. One reason I'm doing this one this way is a peculiarity of the typical Cleveland build- The keels are themselves just stringers, and the fuselage gets built "on the half shell" with the two nearly-completed halves being joined after building. I can, in my hamfistedness, support the formers and sand in the notches better before adding them to the fuselage, without snapping them or getting them out of square. Fortunately, Cleveland always did a superb job of marking their notches in the right place. I just have to hit my mark Smiley I probably could have left the lower notches out until later.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print