Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Helicopter cook up. (Read 6137 times)
Reply #52 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 4:42pm

Ray_K   Offline
to create that which never
exsisted before.

1-16-2019

I am redoing the tail assembly and pulley, a few bugs to work out, should be ready to try flights again by the weekend. I want to make sure this works before posting the plans for you guys.

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 9:25pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-15-2019

I might Bob, you never know.  Wink

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 8:58pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Nice looking Piasecki I hope that you draw up a full bodied version also.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:50pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-15-2019

Bob I did not post the plans yet, but will so you guy's can have a go at it, I need to make some corrections to it first, Tom I am still tinkering, I tried reducing the main rotor blade pitch but that did not help, I am going to make a way smaller tail rotor pulley, this one is 1/2" DIA, I will try 1/4" DIA and post results, I am drawing up a NO-Cal Piasecki Retriever Tandem helicopter for you guys to build, no pulleys, just 2 motor sticks, simple rotor hubs, fixed pitch, I should have the prototype built by the weekend and we shall see.

Cheers, Ray K.

H2_a.png (118 KB | 20 )
H2_a.png
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ray,
I'm in no way helicopter builder but was wondering if the angle of attack of the main rotor blades could be reduced thereby reducing the tork of the main rotors and still provide enough lift for flight.  Just a thought? 
I really like the original suggested model helicopter you made the prototype of.  Good looking model.  I look forward to more progress on this.  I'm looking forward to building a heli!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 10:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Ray, I did not look else where to see if you posted the plans yet.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:43pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Cool Ray
I'm finally getting some build time. Can't wait to see what ya come up with.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:31pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-14-2019

As a side note when I remove the main rotor blades and run with just the tail wheel running there is plenty of force coming from the tail wheel to push the fuselage counter clockwise very quickly just not enough with the main rotor blades on, too much torque is being generated by the main rotors, again something I am going to have to tinker with, I want something that is going to work for you guy's the first time around without a lot of fiddling. I am thinking in the lines of a NO- Cal direct drive tandem helicopter.

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:10pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-14-2019

On this 500 model I can not increase the tail rotor DIA the tail assembly is in the way, I will try a smaller tail wheel pulley and see if this helps, if I add more blades it will increase the weight in the tail and more nose weight will be needed, the tail wheel blades are pitch adjustable, adding more pitch did not help, A Kaman is a good idea but again the rotors will clash if they are not synchronized, this would require gearing, pulleys will not work because of the outward angle of the rotors so pulley grooves will not line up because the pulleys attached to the main rotors will be at angles. I will tinker with the 500 to see what happens.

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:49pm

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

If a new design seems the best solution, how about a Kaman configuration?  Like maybe a Husky or a K-max?  You would be able to run two rubber bands.  For rotor synchronization you might consider pulleys with the thread running in a figure 8?

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:35pm

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Would it be feasible to add a little more bite by making the tail rotor four-bladed and maybe increasing the diameter a bit?  Oh and maybe, possibly reducing the diameter of the tail rotor pulley?  I realize this is a moving target because as the tail rotor gets fed more power, the main rotor's power diminishes so you wind up chasing your tail to find a happy equilibrium.

Marlin

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:02pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-14-2019

Sorry guy's, this model was such a dismal failure, direct drive is not the way to go, so much power has to be used to get the rotors up to flying speed even thou this model only weighs 24 grams and so much torque is produced by the main rotors that the tail wheel rotor can not compensate for it so the model lifts off quickly and spirals right into the ground. I will have to come up with something else, I do have an idea but I will have to test this out first before offering it.

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 6:44pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Looks good Ray. Looking forward to building it.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:04pm

Ray_K   Offline
exsisted before.

1-3-2019

Bob I will post plans here on Monday, we are having a cook up on this, this is a very easy model to build, I built mine in 3 days.

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:15pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Ray, you make it look easy, but I know that it aint so.

Did you share the plans for this helicopter? If so I missed it or don't remember.

Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print