Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Holicek Me-109 (Read 4916 times)
Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 12:20am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I think that I am getting the hang of this magna board plus my finger and thumb tips do not hurt after pushing T-pins into hard balsa.

Holicek_Me109_p6.jpg (207 KB | 29 )
Holicek_Me109_p6.jpg
Holicek_Me109_p7.jpg (219 KB | 26 )
Holicek_Me109_p7.jpg
Holicek_Me109_p8.jpg (225 KB | 32 )
Holicek_Me109_p8.jpg

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 10:19pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Thanks guys i now have several fall backs to cover my board.

Again Thanks!

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 9:57pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Instead of Saran Wrap try Costo, 10 gallon, clear, wastebasket liners.  Slit one at the edges to open it up and put that over the plans.  You can cover quite large plans with it.  The advantage is that most glues, especially CA, will not stick to it.  They are also cheap with 500 coming in a box. The plastic does have a bit of static cling but sometimes that helps the plastic lay flat.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 7:52am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I only use wax paper over my plans. I begin by taping the plan to the mag board and then taping the wax paper over the plan, you can pull it very tight without the magnet tearing the paper. Also for leading and trailing edges, I use a long piece of straight basswood to align them as the magnets can move around a bit and possibly mis align the edges. I bought my magnets at Lowes and use the big ones (about 1/4 inch thick and about 1--1/2 inches long) to hold the basswood pieces. These mags are ceramic and hold VERY well.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:54pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I am learning some nuances of this magna board.

Holicek_Me109_p3.jpg (217 KB | 32 )
Holicek_Me109_p3.jpg
Holicek_Me109_p4.jpg (167 KB | 29 )
Holicek_Me109_p4.jpg
Holicek_Me109_p5.jpg (198 KB | 36 )
Holicek_Me109_p5.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 6:47pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Not all plastic wraps are created equal. You could try a 'no cling' wrap perhaps. The best stuff I got was from our local $ store because it was much thicker than the regular stuff. Alternatively you could try wax paper, or even a piece of thin polypropylene plasic sheeting - like a plastic drop cloth.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 5:55pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Because of the static electricity you might want to rub down the plan and board with a dryer sheet (used in dryers to soften clothes and eliminate static cling) I get a box from the Dollar Store and works great.  Helps things to lay flat when you experience that stuff.

For building fuselage sides on top of each other, I tear another strip of saran warp a bit wider than the fuselage height and length.  I lay it over the first side and then snug up the saran wrap with magnets to the first side.  The magnets usually are a bit thicker than the first side balsa unless using 3/32" balsa. Then build right on top of first side. 

Or you can do it just like you do with pins and separate later with a razor blade...up to you which way your choose.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 3:19pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, thanks for the tips. I tried that, but had many tries before I got the saran wrap to cover the plan entirely. It seems that the plan kept floating so that it was not covered completely at first.

What are your tips on building one side of a box fuselage on top of the other. I am used to T-pins.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:56pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The trick I use to align the saran wrap is to anchor one corner (usually top left or right with a magnet). Once you have one of the top corners anchored,  pull the saran wrap on that side straight down and smooth it flat over plan.  Then start at the opposite top side and smooth the saran wrap over the plan and anchor that corner with another magnet.  Then repeat as you did the opposite bottom.  This usually works for me.  As clean as your area is you'll have no problems with things getting under your saran wrap....don't ask  Roll Eyes Embarrassed I tend to set up board before cleaning area at times!!! Shocked Embarrassed Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:34pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

The F4F is at a stage for some tune up while waiting on tissue to arrive. So I started the Holicek Me-109 using a magna board for the first time.

I received my magna board yesterday and just tried it out on the Me-109 plans.

The real pain was getting the saran wrap to align up over the plans using the magnets. Tongue

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print