Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Even More Trimming with the Roland and Austin-Ball (Read 461 times)
Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 12:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Others have trimmed better than me but I'd use aileron for turn and not the rudder.  You might try getting the nice level flight again and then add a small piece of clay on the right wingtip.  Small adjustment one at a time.  Best of luck in the next session. 
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 3:18pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

All,
My son and I tried yet again...this time with more power on each.  Still bringing them home in one piece which is good.  But I need to figure out how to get some more climb out of them.  Maybe a more substantial prop?  Get those tight right turns out of them so they can use some of that energy to climb?  Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxz_32onMAY

Cheers to all at this Christmas time!!

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 5:44pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, Tom.  I think it would be much nicer than my bits of card stock.  So I'll try putting some strips under the trailing edge instead of my white card down aileron!  Thanks and I'll let you know how things go.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 11:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Gurney flaps are derived from Dan Gurney's invention of a flap on his race car's wing and front wing.  Orginally called a "Wickerbill" Click Here

Enough history lesson... Basically on our models a small flap is fixed to the flying surface (either at or near the ailerons or rudder or elevators)  This can be done with small pieces of clear acetate or some modelers are finding that small strips of 1/32" sq balsa glued at the trailing edge of the ailerons, top or bottom as need to correct the bank and turn of an aircraft. Usually starting with about 1" of balsa and either trimming it down or extending as needed to get the desired results.  I hope this makes sense to you.  If you watch Maxfliart's videos he shows this use of balsa in several of his videos.  In his trimming sessions.  Click Here
Sky9pilot
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2018 at 8:46pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 10:33pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, Ian...I was a little worried about my breathing fixes.  My question is:  what's a gurney flap?  I've heard folks talk about them, but never really knew/understood how they worked.  I know how ailerons and tails do their thing...but those flaps are an unknown to me.  Any suggestions are enthusiastically appreciated!

Thanks again...Dan

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 8:40pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Great flights!!! Until you see it start to stall out, you haven't removed enough nose weight (only my opinion). Good choice with the clear acetate on the wing struts. Rather than making bends by breathing on and bending the stabilizer and rudder, which will slowly come out, try adding a small gurney flap which makes a permanent and reproducible change to the flight patterns. (again, only my opinion). You can alter it by cutting off or adding more length to the strips. Once fixed, you can paint/cover/colour the strip to match.
ian

IP Logged

Dec 19th, 2018 at 8:18pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Today was a nice calm day before wind storms are forecast in the Pacific NW...so we flew!

The exciting news was that adding clear acetate between the interplanes really makes the Austin fly like it's on rails!  Really, they both only need more power and the pilot needs more courage... Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgRgU4ygqGk

Cheers and thanks looking!
Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print