Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 27
Send Topic Print
TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP? (Read 24115 times)
Reply #381 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 1:21pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

New Builder wrote on Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:33pm:
So, hopefully someone can guide me as to the best method for trimming the flange. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Mike

Mike, I know the problem! To avoid this, I make the plug bigger on the bottom and at the rear to allow for trimming. Before making the canopy, I draw the desired contours on the plug to help later when cutting the extra plastic away. You can also trace the desired contours on to the plastic with a Sharpie before removing the plug. The Sharpie ink comes right off with alcohol.

IP Logged

Reply #380 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:33pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

The Fang has a canopy....sorta. Vacuumed my first canopy this afternoon and had a couple of failures, mostly the plastic picked up every flaw and dent in the plug so that is fixed. The next problem was the plastic completely wrapped under the plug and was hard to remove and as result, I cut a bit too much of the flange and got into the canopy itself. I have reduced the height of the standoff considerably. So, hopefully someone can guide me as to the best method for trimming the flange. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Mike

(80 KB | 23 )
Canopy_1_002.jpg
(81 KB | 21 )
Canopy_2.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #379 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 9:38am

New Builder   Offline

Thought I should post some progress on the Fang so nobody thought I had abandoned the project. The canopy plug is about complete and the prop is molded and ready for mounting in the spinner if I can find it, think the kitten has made away with it so a new one is ready to be formed. Probably find the old one when that one is done.
Mike

Edit: Found it and everything else behind a power strip in my building room, unscathed.

(79 KB | 25 )
Prop_and_Canopy_1.jpg
(79 KB | 19 )
Prop_and_Canopy_2.jpg
(85 KB | 23 )
Found_It.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #378 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:48am

New Builder   Offline

Bob - Thank you for the good words on the Fang, it's about 32 degrees in the vacuum form shop (garage) so putting off most work out there till I have more to do. That's really disappointing about the canopies after all the work on the plug but you still have the plug so third try a charm?
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #377 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, really nice job on your
FANG
Smiley

I pushed forward on vacuuming the canopies for the F8F and P-47. It took (2) tries to come up empty handed. The first time I clouded the plastic, the second you can see the ridges of the cookie container left a line.

(309 KB | 17 )
F8F_042_001.jpg
(194 KB | 11 )
F8F_043.jpg
(315 KB | 10 )
F8F_044.jpg
(337 KB | 13 )
F8F_045.jpg

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #376 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:07am

New Builder   Offline

Seems we are both working on the same problem and sorry you need to shift gears on the construction methodology. I originally considered something like that modeled on the AT6 canopy style. Good luck on the endeavor. I can only spend about 30 minutes at a time in the garage sanding the plug, it's about 28 degrees in there. Also need to rework my vacuum form tool since I made it too big for the available plastic sheets that are around in the local hobby shop. Hopefully will be done with the canopy plug by the weekend.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #375 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Still working on the "Fang".  I've been trying to carve a plug for the canopy.  Aparently the balsa block I got is "Iron Wood Balsa"  I have really been struggling with trying to carve this plug.  So much so I've reverting to an old style canopy in two or three pieces.  Windshield, sliding section and turtle deck section.  I think this will save my sanity and allow me to complete the "Fang"!   Embarrassed Roll Eyes Shocked Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #374 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 7:58am

New Builder   Offline

Craig - Thank you for the great words and I think some of my experiments with color and markings came out pretty good. Still need to contend with the fillets but so far, so good.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #373 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 7:55am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
She's looking great!!!  I love the lines on this bird!!!

Tom - Thank you for the good words and looking in. I was hoping I could do some justice to your drawings, I'm pretty happy with the build so far.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #372 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 1:01pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Mike, that airplane is drop-dead gorgeous!

IP Logged

Reply #371 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 12:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
She's looking great!!!  I love the lines on this bird!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #370 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 8:25am

New Builder   Offline

Nearing the end. Assembly, fillets, canopy and done. Forgot to mention the weight gain of the color, 1 gram gain on the wing total, tissue, color and emblems.
Mike
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2020 at 9:40am by New Builder »  

(68 KB | 19 )
Near_Done_1.jpg
(76 KB | 23 )
Near_Done_2.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #369 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 7:14am

New Builder   Offline

Mike - Thanks for looking in and the nice words. Am approaching the end,  I seem to be finding more to do every day and can't stop midway. I think the little details left will finish it up, want to get back to my Culver Dart.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #368 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:25am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

That looks really nice Mike - the gun ports and bumps turned out well and add a lot of life to the fuselage.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #367 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:12am

New Builder   Offline

Parts and bumps prepped and installed, spinner done, Russian Star emblem installed on fuselage and exhaust stain on fuse side. Got a whole day to work on the Fang and wing will be colored today and control outlines done tomorrow along with Russian Star insignias and the Hero Of The Soviet Union emblem. Work on the propeller has begun but not sure how I want to proceed since I made a sizable nick in the base of the propeller and had thought it would be a good place for the blade to pass thru. Blades are remolded and will be attached to what ever I can squeeze into that small opening along with a free wheel tab. More to come.
Mike

(85 KB | 16 )
Bumps_and_Spinner.jpg
(92 KB | 19 )
Marking_and_Spinner_1.jpg
(103 KB | 19 )
Marking_and_Spinner_2.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 27
Send Topic Print