Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Interested in a winter trimotor cookup (Read 5406 times)
Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:38pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Great Hughes H-1, Alf!  Doesn't look "crude" to me at all...beautiful airplane.  Many years ago I saw the real animal in Long Beach...along side the "Hughes Flying Boat."  At least I thought it was the actual racer...revolutionary aircraft for its time...flush riveting.  Oh...the "Goose" was impressive too.  Smiley

That photo I posted of "The Italian Lady Be Good" was actually found in the Sahara a couple of years after the Lady was discovered in southern Libya (1958).  Crew remains were recovered from near the Italian ship as well.  Was on a bombing mission to Cyprus...supposed to return to Benghazi...but for some reason flew an incorrect reciprocal course on the return.  More tragedy....

Well...I must be gettin' serious about this Northrop model....cut some wood (iron wood). Huh  Had to use my jigsaw to get the job done.  I'm not "real sure" about the last three bulkhead shapes...but it'll have to do...artistic license.

Neal

P1170827.jpg (68 KB | 9 )
P1170827.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 12:42pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike...I was thinking around 36" the plan comes out at around 42" if I'm reading it correctly.  That's just a bit big.  My Connie was at 36" and that's a nice size model. 
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 10:51pm

John Webster   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Painesville, Ohio

That first picture of the fuselage in the desert is a clear indication of where the Tipo 61 "Birdcage" Maserati came from.

Looks like some fine models could result from this cookup.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
IP Logged

Reply #45 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 9:01pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Sky9pilot wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 4:16pm:
HPA and Outerzone have a plan (I think it's the same plan) for the SM-79 military version with the hump behind the cockpit and bombadier's canoe on the bottom.  Click Here 

Tom,

I'd downloaded that plan while researching the airplane for the Spanish Civil War event at WESTFAC VI - it's really nicely done with a lot of scale fidelity, although the structure at the front end seems to assume a lot of skill shaping sheeted surfaces...  It has given me some inspiration for the structural changes I'm doing to the Diels plan, mostly in converting the rear fuselage from former to box and former construction.

What wingspan are you targeting for your S.M.79?

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 4:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I love the Profile Series of aircraft documentation magazines.  I used to have most of them in hard copies, but have lost them in moves.  Here's a digital copy I found on HPA for the Savoia Marchetti SM-79. Check out the various profile and center fold view!!!
It was the "Electric Man" version I built those many years ago in plastic while a member of the IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society). 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 4:43pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:44pm:
Still workin' on my drawings...'bout satisfied with the bulkheads.  Back when I was a kid...before CAD and hand-held calculators, etc...used to find a 3-view in book...then redraw it into a plan using ratios! 

Those were the days! Around 1990, I wanted to build the Hughes H-1 racer but all I could find was a small 3 view black silhouette out of Janes. No problem! The result was this, a little on the crude side. This is the model that I rebuilt last year when joining the forum.

H-1_a.jpg (29 KB | 12 )
H-1_a.jpg
H-1_b.jpg (35 KB | 12 )
H-1_b.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 4:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sounds like this will be fun!!!  Mike go for the blue and cream scheme SM-79... I like that one too but I'm partial to red!  So no problem at all.  I look forward to your SM-79.  HPA and Outerzone have a plan (I think it's the same plan) for the SM-79 military version with the hump behind the cockpit and bombadier's canoe on the bottom.  Click Here

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:44pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Great lookin' model, Alf!  Dihedral?

This may turn into an SM79 cookup!  Cheesy Grin Smiley  Lotsa schemes to choose from...but first...gotta have some bones. Roll Eyes

Speaking of bones...here are a couple of SM's you can pick up cheap....

Still workin' on my drawings...'bout satisfied with the bulkheads.  Back when I was a kid...before CAD and hand-held calculators, etc...used to find a 3-view in book...then redraw it into a plan using ratios!  Pretty crude...but educational for certain...and it worked!  Grin Grin  Amazin' what can be done with a ruler, dividers, and a pencil! Cool

Neal

Sahara.jpg (42 KB | 12 )
Sahara.jpg
P1170826.jpg (50 KB | 11 )
P1170826.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:52pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Tom, you got me started researching colors for my S.79.  I found this site that may be of use in your build (you may already have it):  https://modellismoitalia.altervista.org/savoia-marchetti-s-79c-trionfo-nella-cor...

In looking at the S.79 In Action book I found a pic of an aircraft that was flown as a trans-Atlantic airliner by Ala Littoria in 1939.  It had an attractive blue and crème scheme and like yours had the gunner's stations removed.  If it's not stepping on your toes I may go for this scheme.

Mike

S79_Ala_Littoria.jpg (52 KB | 13 )
S79_Ala_Littoria.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 11:19am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Great color scheme for your SM.79 Tom - I'm a bit jealous. Nice that you won't have to build the gunner's cupolas top and bottom, should make the build cleaner, lighter, and less susceptible to landing damage.

I'm undecided between a Spanish civil war or WWII scheme for mine.  Are you going to draw your own plan for this one?

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:01am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, nice looking airplane and good choice to add to the c/u list.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:33pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've decided not to go with the two I first mentioned but to go with The Savoia Marchetti SM-79 Sparviero.  I've been wanting to do one of theses for too many years now!  I think this is the time.  I want to do the Civilian Record Setter having already done a 1/48 scale plastic model shortly after Columbus landed in the New World.  Here's a pic of the version I'll attempt to duplicate!

JP-937.jpg (81 KB | 17 )
JP-937.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 7:31pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sweet job Alfakilo...she looks great!

Bob...here's a rough plan for the Rohrback Ro VIII Roland.  I drew it at 36 inches then shrank it down to 27 inch span.  So the fuselage box was at 3/32" sq balsa for construction.  Use whatever size you feel comfortable with.  I used the CG link on our site to figure CG for this bird it should be accurate. 
You'll want to beef up the area of the wing where the engine nacelles attach/mostly bottom of wing.  I just made a quick and dirty plan.   Embarrassed Cheesy Wink
I'm still looking at just what I want to do, so feel free to use this or go with something else! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 4:18pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Bob, I got that idea from this. Probably will use black tissue for the windows.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 3:38pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

alf, I like the way that you took care of the canopy. You have given me an idea and a solution that has been a problem for some time.

THANKS.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print