Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USAF Reconnaissance in Spitfires over Germany (Read 84 times)
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

I read too about the Spits flying reconnaisance missions.  There was even a great debate and lots of experimentation on the exact color hue or blue to be painted.  Some were painted slightly darker than others. 

Then there was much discussion and experimentation as to how high the Spits were capable of flying.  Rolls was enlisted to help out with double blowers and other mods to their engines to help get the Spitfires as high as possible so as to avoid any chances of entanglements with the German fighters.

The airframes themselves were highly modified, especially the wings in which they were extended in wingspan to where the tips were more pointed than simply rounded. 

Great topic.

I wish I knew what the pilots had to say about the flying characteristics.  That would be interesting.

IP Logged

Feb 5th, 2019 at 12:30pm

pb_guy   Online
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

An English friend mentioned that the US flew some Spitfire XI's in the European Theater in the last couple of years of WWII including recon flights over Berlin. He pointed out a video documentary called 'Spitfire 944' on Youtube [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY ]
It includes some home movie clips taken by Lt. Col. John Blyth, as well as an interview with him.

ian

US_Spit_1.JPG (30 KB | 3 )
US_Spit_1.JPG
US_Spit_2.JPG (40 KB | 2 )
US_Spit_2.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print