Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Northrop YC-125 Raider (Read 3786 times)
Reply #39 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 5:35pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Right you are, Alf.  I think those are the slots seen just forward of that outer flap section.  I don't know how that works...a "finer point" for me.  Huh  Directing "extra" air flow over the ailerons?

Well Howard...ws is variable...I mean, depends upon which outer wing panel I choose to model from my enlarged 3-view.  Cheesy Grin Cheesy  Like I mentioned to Paul earlier...checking things with dividers...everything checked out until I got to those outer panels...one is a bit longer than the other.  Sooooo...with one serving as the pattern for both...it'll be 21.5"...the other 21".  Wink Cheesy Grin

Gary...if I tried to accomplish what you, Mike, and Mark are doing...the model would own me...not the other way around.  As my kids would attest..."Dad is not long on patience."

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 3:32pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Google says the airplane also used spoilers to assist in roll control.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 1:34pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Neal,

Thank you for that wonderful compliment.  Truth be told, I thought you'd be in the big leagues with that incredible insight and imagination to designing and building a fantastic model from simple three views.  I'll just sit quetly and watch. 

Just wonderful that you have shared with us all of your effrorts.  As you learn, so do we.....  I'm learning a lot through you.  Thank you!

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 1:31pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Kerak wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 1:00pm:
...Howard...got the LG in place and some wheels on her...and me thinks you'd have a hard time ROGging without extending the gear further...or a smaller dia prop with a deep pitch....

Neal

Neal,

Remember, Giant no-cals are profile models, they can swing a larger prop on the nacelles than a full bodied model and as for the landing gear to clear the nose prop, well, the rules say "recognizable scale".

BTW, what is the span on your model?

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 1:00pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Tom, Mike, Alf....

I think this is the photo you're referring to, Alf...middle ac is a biplane.  You really can identify that airfield from that view?!!!  That's amazing!

Something that one might see in this photo is the small size of the ailerons.  The 125 was classified as an STOL type aircraft and as such had lots of flap area...but I'm still amazed at how small those ailerons are!

Howard...got the LG in place and some wheels on her...and me thinks you'd have a hard time ROGging without extending the gear further...or a smaller dia prop with a deep pitch....

Neal

2304.jpg (27 KB | 9 )
2304.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:34am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Neal - I remain greatly impressed with your work. Straight stringers, smooth outlines, well done notches. All that early work translates into a nice covering job. Keep up the good work.
Mike

PS - What make is your scroll saw?

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 7:37am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

That works!! The gear struts don't need the support of the nacelles and this lets the wing be covered before the nacelles are attached. Much easier than building the nacelles into the wing as I did with the Couzinet. I bet the weight is about the same too!!

You did a nice job on turning those nacelles! I wish I had some more tools!!

I agree about the scrap wood. I save anything of any practical size, something will come along later where I can use the piece.

In an earlier post, the re is a pic of the airplane taking off from the Conejo airport in Ca. It reminds me of the Rocketeer movie with the old planes in the background!

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I knew the solution would present itself. 

I'm with you...I keep all disc's cut from balsa.  They always come in handy for wheels/tires, stacked and turned for spinners etc.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:56pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Tom.

LG/nacelle problem solved...cut a small slot in nacelle bottom to allow sliding into place over the LE.  Slot can be filled later with balsa...or just covered over with tissue.  LG wire is affixed to rib with balsa/ca sandwich...hmmmm good.  Beats the old way of sewing it into place with mom's needle and thread.  Wink  LG wire sized to fit inside 1/16" aluminum tubing (wheel bushings).

Wheel blanks are from cowl ring cutouts...exact size needed.  I never throw away discs that I've meticulously had to cut out...usually from bulkheads, etc.  Save them in a plastic bag...lots and lots of them...always come in handy.

Neal

P1170870.jpg (74 KB | 8 )
P1170870.jpg
P1170874.jpg (109 KB | 9 )
P1170874.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #30 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 6:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking good!  I'm sure a solution will come to your about the landing gear! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:29pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Got some engines/cowlings constructed...little bits that are essential for the build.  By some miracle, the cutout discs for the cowling rings are the exact diameter of the main gear wheels...isn't that convenient!  Wink

I'm now faced with solving the problem of installing those nacelles once the LG is in place.  My mind is already turning the challenge over and over....

Neal

P1170864.jpg (67 KB | 8 )
P1170864.jpg
P1170866.jpg (77 KB | 7 )
P1170866.jpg
P1170867.jpg (47 KB | 9 )
P1170867.jpg
P1170861.jpg (58 KB | 4 )
P1170861.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 9:25am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Gary...Paul! Smiley

Paul...practice is doing...jump right in...choose a flat-sided ac and have at it.  Find a good 3-view first...then go for it.  In this case mistakes are "good," that's what you'll learn from.  Scratch-building is an extension of ourselves....  I used to have a cartoon in my office...a monkey holding a coin cup...looking back at the organ-grinder.  The monkey was thinking, "I could do that."  It's true!  Hey...we're all "wannabees" here.  Wink  Go ahead...nothin' to it!  Invent your own airplane! Wink Cheesy Grin  Don't worry...be happy...there is no such thing as perfection!  Cool

Thanks for the offer, Gary.  I think our models reflect something of our own temperament...I'm an impatient soul.  You on the other hand, are meticulous and dedicated.  Your models are truly...museum exhibits of the first order.  Smiley  You're an exception in our hobby, Gary...that is, you're exceptional.  The first time I viewed photos of your SE5a...wow!  Smiley  I'm down here in the "D League" and you're up there in "The Bigs."  Wink

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:30pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 5:18am

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Looking great Neal!
Watching you through this build is a inspirational experience.
As time alots I have been reading up on how to use my scale tools agine. Hope in the near future to build a plane from a three view. But much practice is needed before that happens.  Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing this bird come alive.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:56am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Kerak, KF, and fellow members:

Don't know if this means anything and certainly your model is outstanding example of craftsmanship at its finest.  I envy you for turning simple three-views into great model plans and then go on to create an excellent model.  Fantasic,

Someday, if any of you or our fellow members wish to do a full-blown super detailed model of this rare bird, I have about a dozen interior shots......  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:15pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Yeh Howard...those were the days.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Speaking of nacelles...like to formally introduce you to my youngest son (of three)...holding dad's Do217 rc ship (scatch).  The way that wing sits on the fuselage...kinda looks like the same arrangement as the YC-125, at least near the TE.

Oh...my son...he's 40 years old now.  Huh

Neal

Inspiration.jpg (147 KB | 7 )
Inspiration.jpg
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print