HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kerak (Read 346 times)
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 11:17am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Kerak was a username that I chose way back in the days when the only internet connection available was via dail-up.  Recall those days? Shocked  At the time I was reading a classic history of the Crusades (The Dream and the Tomb) and a castle/fortress located then and now on the trans-Jordanian frontier greatly impressed me...KERAK(part of a string of defensive castles constructed by the Crusaders...all within visual signal of each other).  It was such a tough nut to crack that Saladin was forced to negotiate its surrender in 1189 and thereafter used it as his personal treasury.

I could have said it was from a nefarious character on Deep Space Nine...a Cardassian tailor (Elim Garak) who may have been a spy or even a war criminal...loved that character...but that all came along much later.... Wink Cheesy Grin

That's the short answer, Mike.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 7:48am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

So that's who you are. Nice to know who I'm talking to and man, what a background and building models all  that time, wow. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the man behind the name. BTW - origin of KERAK please.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Neal for giving us a glimpse of yourself.  Great thing this hobby is!  Brings together many backgrounds all around this wonderful S&T hobby.  Thanks again for giving a face and background to your handle!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:37pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I suppose this is better late than never…my name is Neal (aka Kerak) and I’ve been struggling with this hobby for, let’s see…at least parts or the whole of the past seven decades.  Ike was still in his first term in office when this all started for me.  Don’t let me kid you…I’ve enjoyed the journey all the way.  I believe my first SnT modeling effort was when I was about seven years old(a Comet Models Fokker D7)…only partially successful…but the foundation was laid for a maximum effort.  Innumerable SnT models as well as control line creations followed…the most memorable being a scratch-built Vickers Wellington that my father took a special liking for.  Later on, when I finally became wealthy…kidding…I was able to venture into rc flying…but never really abandoned the SnT genre…my roots.  I was greatly influenced in this hobby by the existence of an Air Base (Hill) near home…with it’s approaching flight path directly overhead.  I witnessed a world of remarkable aircraft…all the way from an actual formation of B-17s to a literal daily presence of B-29s/B-50’s…powerful stuff for a young kid.

I served in both the United States Air Force and the United States Army, stationed Stateside, Republic of the Philippines, and Republic of Vietnam.  I am a college graduate (engr/history), Weber State University, University of Utah, and University of New Mexico.  I have been married for the past 47 years and have 3 sons and a daughter (she’s a med. Doctor and the apple of my eye), as well as numerous grandchildren and even a few great grandchildren (the latest of which, a greatgranddaughter, entered this life only yesterday!).

I’ve posted two photos…the first is with the best man I’ve ever known, my father…and the second, in which I’m explaining what’s “wrong” with our tour-guide’s views concerning Rasputin.  We’re at the Yusupov Palace (Prince Yusupov murdered Rasputin 1916) in St. Petersburg (Leningrad).  She appears to be amused.  Actually, we were talking about the differences between the West’s regard of Gregori R. as opposed to the common Russian view…we see him as a charlatan while the Russians see him as a man of the people.

Ok…that’s me…once I was a handsome hero…a running back/linebacker/catcher…and now, this is what’s left of me.

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2019 at 3:44pm by Kerak »  

DAD.jpg (129 KB | 22 )
DAD.jpg
P1140126.jpg (74 KB | 17 )
P1140126.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print