Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Guillow's Alabtros from OuterZone plans! (Read 1371 times)
Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:07pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hello All...

I got the wings all ready to cover by adding little balsa gussets etc. and a tissue paper tube glued around the upper wing cut out trailing edge to act as a tissue anchor.  Hopefully that will be work and be hidden under the colorful lozenge!  Tongue

I started covering the bottom wings with computer printed lozenge I copied and blew up from some plastic model decals.  Pretty much looks the part.  The black smear was a printer issue but as my white tissue is kind of dear, I'm using it anyway!  It will be fine.

I intend to get this one done tomorrow and also fully cover the top wing!  This will be a pretty model even if it never flies well... Roll Eyes

Thanks for looking!
Dan

IMG_3994.JPG (153 KB | 5 )
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG (137 KB | 7 )
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4005.JPG (134 KB | 5 )
IMG_4005.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 10:02pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks SP!  Those are next.  For now, here is the wing with the ailerons removed.  I'll add their hinges and start covering soon.  I may sand and cover both wings and the tails before starting the fuselage.  Coming along well!

Cheers,
Dan

IMG_3954_copy.jpg (33 KB | 5 )
IMG_3954_copy.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Wing looks great.  I look forward to seeing the scallops appear.   Smiley
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 9:50pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hi Neo...

I made a flying model of an Albi long ago and the trailing edge was thread that I'd hoped would make scallops automatically when the tissue shrunk.  Huge fail!  My sanding will at least sort of look ok...we shall see!  Roll Eyes

Got the top wing done and I'm working on making the separated ailerons.  Delicate work but I hope it will help while trimming... Grin

Thanks for looking....Dan

IMG_3951_copy.jpg (56 KB | 8 )
IMG_3951_copy.jpg
IMG_3952_copy.jpg (38 KB | 9 )
IMG_3952_copy.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:11pm

neoflight   Offline
Darnit...now how am I
gonna get that down!

It all looks very nice, Dan. You have a very deft hand at building!

Reading your note on scalloping, if my memory is correct, the Germans didn't intentionally scallop the trailing edges of their wings. Wire threaded through the trailing edge was used to secure the fabric covering to the rearward tip of each wing rib. Their was a centimeter wide gap on each point that allowed the fabric to shrink to an even greater degree and as the dope cured forming the curved indentions seen.

Neo

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:43pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hi Neal...

I have that book too.  I love the shot of the bullet path right through the gun mount!  That hole really makes one pucker considering where the pilot was!  Shocked

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 9:12pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Great work, Dan...loving it...always been an Albatross fan.   Years ago I came into possession of a book published by the Smithsonian covering the details of their D-Va restoration..."STROOP!"  Remarkable story.  Aircraft was brought down by a round that struck the magneto...which was still in place all these years later.  Smithsonian left it that way.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:54pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Got my bottom wing constructed!  Now I need to finish sand it and sand in the scallops. 

Next up is the top wing.  Smooth so far...Dan

IMG_3941.JPG (152 KB | 7 )
IMG_3941.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 1:23pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

No twisting...unless your model exceeds 5,000 mph in flight...scale speed.  Might get some wingtip flutter then. Cheesy  And yes...you're definitely building a D-V/Va because the D-I/II/III all shared the same fuselage...flat-sided.  Wink  A totally re-designed fuselage was used for the V/Va. Smiley

Have constructed the Guillows Nieuport 28...back in the mid-50's...enjoyed the experience.  Wink

I'm enjoying your build, Dan...lots of nostalgia.  When I stated that kit was meant to be modified...as Howard would attest...designed for the basic builder...with great possibilities for those who are advanced.  You're doing a "bang-up job."

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 10:33am

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, Neal.  I think this will be a DV or Va depending on what colors I decide upon but I'm leaning toward DVa.  I was going to leave the head rest off just for the reason you stated.  Plus, I think the Guillows fuselage looks pretty fat and that head rest seems to accentuate that.  We'll see...

My spar is only 1/16th so let's hope there is little twisting!  Roll Eyes

Nieuport had it rough...first twisting and then fabric flying off of the 28.  That's another Guillow's build I wish to do...

Cheers and thanks for looking and the insightful comments!

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:06am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Truth be known, Dan...those kits were always meant to be modified to the builder's satisfaction.  Albatross is a winner!  Excellent build! Smiley

Over the years I've been involved in a lot of discussions as to the effectiveness of dihedral in the bottom plane as opposed to the top...and the other way around as well.  Seems all "pursuit" aircraft seek to have a degree of controllable instability built in...NOT what we're looking for in a free-flight model.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Albatross D-III/D-V(a) wing setup was actually inspired by that of the French Nieuport fighters (with the same lower plane twisting issues).  The lower plane of those French fighters was practically non-functional as a lifting surface...served primarily as the lower chord of a truss...as was the case with the Albatross.  They had a single spar that tended to twist.... Shocked  D-Va solved that with a tiny support bar connecting the leading edge to the front of the "V" strut (difference between the D-V and D-Va).

And to give you some more options...headrest was more times than not, dispensed with in the field on the D-Va.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 11:05pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, All...

Neo:  They have dihedral in the bottom but not the top as per the original.  They do suggest increasing it, however!  Wink

I started the bottom wing but only got half done.  Still, even with my modifications, the fit is nice and precise.  The first pic shows all the basic strip wood and ribs cut out to basically make a "kit".  The next shows the wing on the board!  I've modified the kit a bit by using laminated tips and only the mid rib and strut ribs are 1/16th.  All others are 1/32nd.  The trailing edge is also 1/32nd compared to the kit's 1/16th balsa.  I hope this saves a little bit of weight.  Light flies best!

Cheers and more soon...Dan

IMG_3933.JPG (138 KB | 7 )
IMG_3933.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG (148 KB | 9 )
IMG_3938.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 9:56pm

neoflight   Offline
Darnit...now how am I
gonna get that down!

Very precise and delicate. Curious, while looking at the plans does it have the wings constructed without dihedral? Would definitely make a nice model but cause grief when trimming. Outstanding start, sir.

Neo

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 5:58pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Looking good.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 5:04pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Great start on this, Dan. I am sure that you can make this into a lightweight ship as you continue with these changes.
ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print