HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Hawker Fury (Read 1195 times)
Reply #49 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 9:12am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

That sounds like a great adventure, Mark...a great and fun experience!  Wife and I have a place down in Mesa...a few years ago we were over at Falcon Field when Sentimental Journey came in...taxi'd up and shut down.  Just like that, a guy pops out and asked us if we'd like a guided tour from the inside!  Wife nodded..."Let's go!"  So we climbed in and got the "inside scoop," nose to tail...including the "catwalk" through the bomb-bay!  We certainly felt "privileged" that day...wife's still talking about it!  Wink Cheesy Grin  Can only imagine your thrill of "hands on the yoke!" Smiley

Mike...I use an old graphics program that I've had for years...and I do mean years.  Wink  Paint Shop Pro...think it was bought out by a bigger fish...like everything else.  As for availability of graphics...this is where searching the internet comes in...using Google or whatever search engine.  "Decals" is what you're looking for...as large a resolution as can be found...so that when you print (to size) it won't defuse...blur out...edges remain sharp.  Of course...sometimes you'll have to compromise...depending upon what's available.  Use "save image" and then your graphics program to manipulate.  The ability to create tissue-cals is one of those "giant steps" forward...in my humble opinion. There are lots of tutorials available...and they all differ somewhat...all are "personalized."  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 7:09am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Neal - Was looking over the tissue cals and was wondering what you use to generate the graphics, they are very nice.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 5:23pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Neal, I hope you post you B17 build. Bob Morgan was a personal friend of mine. B17's are dear to my heart. I spent 5 months on the road with a B17 known as "Memphis Bell" used in the movie "Memphis Bell", 1989. Got an hour in the left seat from Atlanta to Birmingham Al.. Worked for Dave Tallichet.

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 1:21pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Alf...sometimes I think peanut scale is small...other times not so small...but they always fly small...at least for me.  By comparison to what I used to build (rc)...they're definitely small and economical.  Smiley

As a matter of fact...larger...next project is spread out before me right now...vertical stabilizer/rudder of a Boeing B-17G...an old Sterling Models Inc. kit...39"ws.  I think I'll just quietly build it off-line this time.

I worked for about 17 years with a gentleman...a great guy...who was a waist-gunner on an aircraft known as "Blues In The Night"...B-17G LF-B 42-39783 526th BS 379th BG out of Kimbolton, UK.  Aircraft was shot down on a Berlin mission 19 May 1944.  My friend was a guest of the Germans for the remaining year of the war (his 12th mission, aircraft's 53rd).  Thought I would construct this model in his honor...reflecting on all the stories he related to me over those 17 years.  Smiley

My friend passed on some years back...and I've been told that to the end, he considered his service in WW2 to be the most important part of his life.  In fact, at the end...he was telling everyone that he had to get up and getting going...he was flying today. Smiley

He's in the back row...third from the right...in this crew photo.  That's the crew chief making with the brush for the media.

Neal

Thanks, Ian...YES...I am running out of room!  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2019 at 12:03pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #45 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 12:51pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Well, we ooh-some and we awe-some Cheesy . That is great! I am actually wondering if you are running out of space to keep all of those beauties you have built in just the last couple of years.
ia

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:19am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Very nice!! Hard to see that it's that small unless something is there to use as a reference. I like peanut models but mine do not come out as graceful looking as this. What's next!!

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 6:20am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Neal - Well done and as usual, a mighty fine covering job, hard to believe it is a Peanut. Color is right on the money.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:39pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Mike...noseblock was first covered with tissue...doped...and then rattle-can sprayed with Krylon Brilliant Silver...as was the landing gear as well as wire wheels.  Tires were then hand-painted flat black.

All struts were clear doped and then painted with Testors Model Master Silver Chrome Trim.

Showed this model to my wife...asked her what she thought: "It's yellow."

Calling this a build...like THX 1138..."Discontinue pursuit...case budget terminated (attention span exhausted...mine)."

Neal

9_15_b2.jpg (95 KB | 2 )
9_15_b2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 2:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

She's a beauty...you can, "take my advice and do as you please," concerning further details...as you say they won't drastically affect fly-ability!  She looks great! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 1:51pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Beautiful Neal.  What did you use for the metal finish on the noseblock?

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 11:39am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I suppose that I'm at the point during a build that one asks whether..."Should I go on...or just be satisfied?  Rather...have I had enough of this?"

Could install the hozStab bracing...rigging...aileron markings...and exhaust ports...a windscreen...etc., all of which WILL NOT contribute to the model's "flyability."

As is...there's a rubber motor installed...model weighs in at 14.1g...not bad considering I've been using my stock of "stonewood."  I'm satisfied with the weight.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:25am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

And we now have wings....I'm personally not a big fan of laminated wingtips...primarily because I seem to struggle with it so much...easier for me to cut cookies.  On the other hand...sure looks pretty...and very weight conservative.  Not trusting the system...I've coated those laminations with ca...just for a little peace of mind.  Probably now weigh as much as if I'd used the cookie cutter method. Smiley

Most of the ribs are cut from 1/32" sheet...4ea ribs are 1/16" sheet.  LE is 3/32"sq...TE is 1/16"x1/8".  Laminations are 2ea x 1/32" x 1/16".  Dihedral on top wing is 3/16" at the last rib...bottom wing root rib is set for 1/4"...at the last rib.  Gussets are 1/32".  Stickem' is ca.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 9:35am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Whatever works...looks great to me! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:01pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Laminated the tail surfaces...2 ea.x1/32"x1/16" strip-wood.  Used two thicknesses of Styrofoam plate taped together as the form.  Got the outer edges laminated...then constructed the inner structure (1/16"sq)...then wrapped the lamination around them.  Don't know if that's the "proscribed method," but comes out the same. Smiley

Onward and upward....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 5:52pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Absolutely, Ian...bang on the head!  THAT is a precise observation!  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin  In fact...covering those bones is for that very purpose!  Cheesy Grin

Always fun to get some markings on the little critter...gives it personality.  Henceforth...this is K3736!

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print