Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Assm. Top wing to bottom wing (Read 472 times)
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 6:07pm

Bis   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Pb guy and sky9pilot, thanks for the replys.
Yes I have a bunch of foam board, I use it all the time on my train layout. As per both of your suggestions I will be making some jigs, im not sure it will be as robust as the example for the Fokker.
Thanks again for the help, I can see why people prefer building WW2 birds  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 12:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Biplane assembly is always a challenge and there are probably as many ways of doing it as there are modelers!

There are many approaches to keeping the incidence between the wings also.  Ian's suggestion is one I use alot.  If you haven't discovered foam board from the Dollar Store I highly recommend you make your first purchase right away.  Get yourself a good square for making 90* cuts and a good sharp xacto blade.  Trace the plan or copy it and glue the side view of the fuselage showing wing positions on the foam board.  An as Ian has said cut out a jig to fit between the lower and upper wing on each side of the fuselage at the same location (distance from fuselage) on each side, that allows you to align the upper wing in position both incidence and also in perspective to the fuselage and empennage. (L.E & T.E. at right angles or proper angle to the fuselage) 

I'm getting too wordy here but some cut a jig that keeps the whole model stationary on the table as well.  It's really up to you to figure what works for you.  Foamboard/foam posterboard is a great modeling tool for making all kinds of patterns, forms, jigs etc.

Here's how I approached the jig solution, using card stock, for my New Standard 25a biplane.  See picture in  the the build thread here:See reply #20 Click Here

Monz on her Fokker DVII used the foamboard to build the jig that works from the table up supporting the whole model: Click Here Reply #151
Tom
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2019 at 3:41pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 10:58pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I am sure that there has to be a picture somewhere of the jigs that others have used in assembling biplanes, but I couldn't find one. There is a simple one in this posting - post # 681 ( http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529534891/681 ). You need to construct a jig that holds the top wing in place while the glue dries. The one in that post is to keep the wing incidence correct.

What others have done is to make a jig that goes from the bottom to the top wing, assuming that the bottom wing is correct. That is what the pic below attempts to emulate. You get the dimensions and angles from the side view of the plan.
ian

test_jig.JPG (10 KB | 23 )
test_jig.JPG
IP Logged

Mar 21st, 2019 at 7:45pm

Bis   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hello all, I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
I am building a Guillows SE 5 and have reached the point where it's time to mount the top wing and I'm wondering if there are any tips or secrets.
Do I install all 8 struts (4 wing and 4 cabane) on the bottom wing/fuselage or  just the wing struts then try to work the ones on the fuselage in?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print