Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicko Max at Texas Spring Opener Meet (Read 97 times)
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 7:07pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, Mike.  This helps a lot.  I'll try some more rubber and "more turns!" as an old flying pal used to tell me.

Cheers,
Dan

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 4:28pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  Dan, the thing that seems to be making the difference in my models is more rubber.  My good flights have been with motors weighing 20-25% of total flying weight.  The motor loops are 3-5x hook-peg distance, and the cross-section ranges from 2 loops 1/8" on 20" span models to 2 loops 3/16" on the 24-26" span models.  These motors can be wound to between 1500-2000 turns, which gives motor runs approaching 1 minute.  I still have a lot of learning to do, especially in getting the models to consistently glide well after the power runs out.

Hope this helps,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:49pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Wow, Mike! That was sensational. I need to pick your brain about how to get additional duration on my guys.  They fly well enough, but just not too long.

Lovely! And congrats on the max.
Dan

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Congrats Mike...loved the video and great flight!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:03am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Took the Wicko to the Spring Opener contest in Gainesville TX this weekend.  Weather forecast was iffy, and sure enough Saturday morning was a complete washout.  After lunch the rain stopped and winds died down for a couple of hours, enough to do a bit of trim flying.  Sunday started a bit dreary but turned into a very nice day for flying.

With the large field area I was comfortable trying a bigger motor in the Wicko - put 15g of 3/16" rubber (2x31" loops, 25% of flying weight) in the model, wound it to 5.5 oz-in (~1400 turns) and got a 2:56 flight.  This is my first max (over 2 minute) flight in FAC competition.  Had several other very nice flights on lower winds.

Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcU7P3Q2AB8

Also got some good flights out of the Waco SRE, Little Gem and T-28.  The field was beautiful - lots of grass and wildflowers.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print