HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small Tube Cutter (Read 101 times)
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:50am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

The older strippers that have a set of holes in them allow you to choose how much force will be applied to the tubing, so you can avoid crushing the tubing while cutting.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 7:50am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Ian - Was thinking about how you could use a wire stripper for cutting tubing then realized that those strippers have a tapered cutting edge ending at the hole and usually will cut tubing much smaller than 1/16th. Great idea.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 11:29am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I have been using a wire stripper to cut my aluminum tubing for awhile now and it works well. But brass is another matter.
ian

IP Logged

Apr 12th, 2019 at 8:38am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

For everybody who has been cutting small tubing with an Xacto knife and not catching the off cut, here's some help. Made a trip to the U.S. (my wife and I live about 10 miles from the Detroit border) and made a stop at the Hobby Lobby looking for something else but happened along to the small tools, etc. and found a K&S tube cutter that will cut aluminum and brass as small as 1/16 to 5/8 diameter. It has a very smooth delrin base and a steel cutting wheel and allows for a very smooth operation and not at all hard to hold the tube while cutting. Tried it out this morning and the off cut is very smooth with a slight taper that is easily filed off.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print