Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuselage Assembly Fixture (Read 221 times)
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks for the link Alfakilo...we encourage everyone to consider becoming a member of FAC (Flying Aces Club) for that newsletter and all the fine information and plans that come out every two months.  I'm really glad they are making the past issue available online as well.  Thanks again for the link.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 11:00am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Good tips!! I use something similar for all the reasons you mentioned.

Here's an article that describes another look at the idea. The author includes techniques and tips that are often missing. Article starts on page 20.

http://www.flyingacesclub.com/Newsletters/FACN270.pdf

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 7:44am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Hi Bob - I used the readily available stuff that's about 1/4" thick and about 18 x 30 inches, maybe enough for 2 fixtures. Got mine at our local Dollar store. Was thinking about this post and decided I didn't mention that this stuff is incredibly light and hard to control and slides around easily. I had originally put feet on mine but was a total waste of time. At one point I actually considered throwing it away and moving on but persisted and discovered the best way to use it is to lay it on your lap and work comfortably. One of my persistent problems is getting the stringers straight and now this fixture allows me to pick it up and sight down the line and make adjustments. I'm sure there are other benefits but for the moment it is a pretty good solution for anybody that wants a tool like this.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 12:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

It does look simple even for a Texan, I think that I will try it on my next build that requires a jig.

I guess I did read your description completely. When foam board are you using?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 11:45am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Simple, inexpensive, and rigid - I like it!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 9:12am

New Builder   Offline

More...

In the next picture, I put the cutout back in with the fuselage still attached.
Picture 6 is the taking of the measurements from the plan. Only the height from the thrust line is needed.
Picture 7 is the marking of the height of the former on the station upright.

At this point I got ahead of myself and forgot to take pictures of the attachment of the formers to the station uprights. To do this, I added a small drop of glue to the former and glued it to the front of the station upright. So before everybody gets too excited, this small bit of glue will let the former be detached without any damage. I know this as I have knocked off about half of the formers adding the stringers. Be sure to line up the top of the former with the measure line added earlier. I also cut the top and bottom notches and used a small piece of 1/16 to align with the upright. So, now you have a fuselage tool that can be used in hand, laid on your lap or put it on blocks on the workbench. It is also open on both sides so stringers can be added alternately. I plan to not add the top and bottom few stringers so I can cut the formers away from the uprights and add them later.

Hopefully this tool can be created and used by anyone that wants a fuselage fixture with a minimum of expense, just a trip to the Dollar store for foam board. I know the explanation given is a bit long and involved but I think it will all come out well.

IP Logged

Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:50am

New Builder   Offline

Sometime back I devised and built a fuselage assembly fixture and it worked very well, trouble was, only about 3 or 4 people were equipped to replicate one and this bothered me, as it seemed, at least to me, that I had not done anything to benefit the group as a whole. So, I was trolling around the model airplane fishing pond (internet) and discovered another good solution. It should be noted up front this is not my idea, I only took the idea and put it into a series of pictures to see if it would actually work, and it does, so here we go.

Picture 1 is the original plan I am using and is a Howard DGA3 by Dave Rees.
Picture 2 is the plan modified for use, my way.
Picture 3 is the fuselage portion of the plan taped to a sheet of foam board that I marked a center line (the thrust line of the plane) and added the plan to match the center line.
Picture 4 shows the marking of the station lines on the foam board. These lines must be the back of the station (see picture 5) I also added an outline of the fuselage at the station lines 3/4 inch away from the fuselage and cut it out. Add the station uprights, I used 3/32 square and glue them to the foam board.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print