Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Forgotten Projects, Rebuilds, Rehabs, etc (Read 919 times)
Reply #31 - May 17th, 2019 at 10:02am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Carpenter's squares - cheap at Home Depot.  You can buy the thrifty plastic ones or (like me) be seduced by the anodized aluminum ones.  I tell myself the extra weight of the aluminum squares helps hold them in position...

The little Zona L-squares are also really handy - use them all the time for measuring and cutting.  Stick a magnet on them and they're perfect for checking dihedral.

I don't know about the woodwork - lots of beautiful construction happening on this site.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #30 - May 17th, 2019 at 7:28am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I was intrigued by those blue triangle thingies! Nifty idea for keeping everything square!

Nobody does wood work better than you!

IP Logged

Reply #29 - May 17th, 2019 at 12:37am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You fellas are doing it again...great craftsmanship and ingenuity.  I'm loving both models!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #28 - May 16th, 2019 at 9:21pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

radiators and chin scoop came out great.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #27 - May 16th, 2019 at 9:13pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Love the look of the XP-38 - that'll be a good way to set your P-38 apart from the run-of-the-mill Guillows builds.

Been plugging away at the Spit.  The original builder had installed 1/16" aluminum tubes between the root ribs in the fuselage, so I grabbed some carbon rod and magnets and set the model up for removeable wing panels.  While the epoxy was curing around the magnets today (with the airplane all jigged up around them) I carved lumps and bumps for the carb air scoop, oil cooler and radiator.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:59pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I think I'm going to complete the Guillows P-38 as the XP-38 prototype. I'll cut away the existing engine parts forward of the wing former. The paper mock-up shows the basic idea. Also plan on not using the plastic parts that make up much of the engine booms.

As with the Vega, much of the balsa is badly weathered and broken.

nacelle_1_001.jpg (19 KB | 1 )
nacelle_1_001.jpg
3_123.jpg (69 KB | 1 )
3_123.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #25 - May 13th, 2019 at 11:54am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well Alf...building from a Cleveland plan...that constitutes a scratch build in my mind...and a really fine job of it as well...classic plan, classic plane...classy build.  Smiley

I shouldn't let this cat out of the bag...but I'm definitely going to build your Vega's cousin...Lockheed Air Express 1929.  Mighty fine aeroplanes.  Wink Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2019 at 10:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You guys are constant inspiration...life has gotten in the way again...but hope to get back building soon.  Keep up the great work.

Alfa...love those bones and have always felt the beauty of the bare bones is something most people don't see!!!!

Mike...the Spit is looking fantastic!  I agree with the fellas, your craftsmanship is outstanding! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2019 at 5:34pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2019 at 10:28am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 9:58am:
I wonder Alf...if you splash some clear butyrate dope on your Vega...maybe those "old bones" will gain some strength...even if you choose to display it that way.  Could even apply some stain.  Looks awfully pretty.  Wink  Is that a kit (Dumas)...or one of your scratch-builds? 

Built from a Cleveland plan from the 30s. I built the motor stick per the plan but removed it from the rebuild, the mice had chewed it up pretty badly. Removing it made the fuselage a little wobbly so I added some cross-bracing in the middle that helped out.

I did use a little dope on some of the parts for the reason you mentioned. When I decided to leave it uncovered, I stopped any more doping.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:58am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I wonder Alf...if you splash some clear butyrate dope on your Vega...maybe those "old bones" will gain some strength...even if you choose to display it that way.  Could even apply some stain.  Looks awfully pretty.  Wink  Is that a kit (Dumas)...or one of your scratch-builds?  VERY NICE work.

BOB!...there it is again!  I've always been partial to your Schneider Cup racer!  The ghost of Jimmy Doolittle is waiting!!!  Wink Cheesy Grin Smiley Roll Eyes

Oh Mike...beautiful Spit!  She's in good hands now.  I can almost hear her breathing a sigh of contentment. Wink

"IT'S ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE!"

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:42am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I use the same, have it in white and balsa color. Also still use spackle, sometimes I think spackle has a finer texture. I thin both with a little water. The Hobbico seems to dry out in the jar. I seal both with regular dope, EZDope, or MinWax Poly.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:27am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  AK, I'm using some Hobbico filler I picked up at our local HobbyTownUSA.  It's not much different from lightweight spackle, but it has a yellow tint that makes it a bit less obvious.  I try to use as little as possible.

Weather here was very nice this morning, enjoyed sitting on the deck sanding out the filler.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:47am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Mike, what are you using for filler? The nose looks perfect!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:24pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, I love the crabby spitfires camo job.

Looking at your Spitfire bones I become more in awe of you building technique. Thanks for your photos the are a great reference.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:06pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

In between family activities this weekend I got the rocker covers carved and sanded.  Hated to do it but I had to put a little balsa filler on them to smooth out the transitions between pieces.  A bit of sanding on the filler and another coat of sanding sealer and the nose will be ready to cover.

When I test-fit the wings I found they were swept back in a most unSpitfirelike way  - looked more like a Heinkel.  Corresponding with Crabby from HipPocket (who's built the Rockytop kit) he encountered the same thing, but found it too late to correct it (see pic).  I used a miter saw to cut some balsa wedges to go between the wing and fuselage root ribs to correct the sweep.  Glued those in, sanded them to match the root ribs, mocked everything up and it looks much better.

A little cleanup and detail work around the wing roots and fillet areas and this one will be ready to cover.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print