Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Forgotten Projects, Rebuilds, Rehabs, etc (Read 1571 times)
Reply #60 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 5:06pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks Tom.  Been working on the fuselage.  Used scrap tissue to make a template for the camouflage, paying particular attention to where the color transitions on the fin and stab meet the fuselage.  Did the right side in two halves applied damp - went well despite all the curves.  The left side and cowl top will be trickier as all the color transitions have to meet up.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks great so far...but there was no doubt that it wouldn't!  Enjoy watching your builds! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:37pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I got the flying surfaces doped, printed and added the markings, then gave them a second coat and let them cure for a couple days while visiting family in Shreveport.  I also added a stringer behind the wings to serve as a tissue anchor between the upper and lower tissue.

Today I covered the lower fuselage.  The flying surfaces were done dry, but I chose to cover the fuselage damp to get around all the curves.  As on the T-28 I used tape to guide stretching and trimming the tissue over the cowl.

The dope darkened up the colors a bit more than I thought it would based on the samples I'd prepared - wish I had put a bit heavier layer of chalk on the upper tissue, but no matter now.  Top of the fuselage will be a bit tedious trying to print up the camo pattern and get it applied properly lined up with the flying surfaces.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 4:22pm

toulouse   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Wellington New Zealand

Agree. 
Par excellence.
Great Build.
Inspirational Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:02pm

neoflight   Offline
Darnit...now how am I
gonna get that down!
West Tennessee

Mike, your Spitfire model is par excellence Smiley This is the kind of work modelers dream to achieve. I've spent much time perusing this build and learning your technique. Thanks for the privilege of looking in.

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:37pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Kerak wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 8:42pm:
Your modeling technique is so impressive, Mike...like you're construction table-top props for a movie studio!  Museum quality models!

Question...after you chalk the tissue backside and install it on the model...does the moisture from the shrinking process ever effect the chalk adversely?

"DITTO" what Neal stated. I think that you need to put together a master class.

Bob

Neal

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 8:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Your modeling technique is so impressive, Mike...like you're construction table-top props for a movie studio!  Museum quality models!

Question...after you chalk the tissue backside and install it on the model...does the moisture from the shrinking process ever effect the chalk adversely?

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:46pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Tissue's pretty thin - I haven't had any real trouble seeing the template even through the dark green overprint.

Got the stab and fin covered, will shrink them tomorrow after the glue stick hardens up a bit.  I tried a bit of shading to highlight the fabric-covered rudder and elevator.  Not sure that I really like the effect, but it's not bad enough to make it necessary to strip and re-cover it.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Mike...for the pics and links. I'll look into this.  Too bad I don't have a light table too.  That would really simplify the tracing of lines on the tissue! Wink Cool

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 9:20pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys, it appears to have shrunk up pretty smooth after two spritz cycles.

Tom, I blew up a couple of different three views and used them to define the panel lines and camouflage patterns.  After playing with the sizing to match the Stahl plan's narrower-than-scale chord I printed out a guide sheet and traced the lines onto the tissue over that (see pics).

I'm using Prismacolor Premeir soft core colored pencils.  I picked up this 29-piece kit as a starter set, very handy to have a variety of colors when highlighting panel lines or coloring in dings and scrapes to hide them...  Also handy to have the sharpener, gum eraser and blending pencil that come with the set.  Hobby Lobby typically has a selection of these pencils for individual sale, but they run about two bucks each - cheaper to get the set.

https://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-1978739-Premier-Coloring-Sharpener/dp/B01ICWE...

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 7:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding Mike...did you blow up a 3 View to trace out the panel lines on the tissue?  I know you mentioned those pencils before but could you remind me what they are again please???

Y'all are killing me with all these great builds...now I want a P-38 and a Spitfire/Seafire and all these air racers!!!  WoW!!!  great inspiration!!! Cheesy Grin Cool

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:39pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, the tissue came out fantastic. Smiley I need to watch how you print out your tissue and how you mark it.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:15pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Mike...that is so good lookin' that it's CRIMINAL!  IT JUST AIN'T FAIR!  Wink Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 2:02pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Things moved a bit slow on the Spitfire over the last week - had to prep models for the weekend's rescheduled meet in Hamilton TX.  Had a great time there despite somewhat sparse attendance due to two postponements which put the meet in conflict with the indoor champs in Eager AZ and another meet in Arkansas.  All the models came home pretty much intact...

Tissue work is in progress - this is a bit of an experiment.  Underside is white esaki, printed with sky green, then lined with colored pencil and chalked on the back.  Topside is brown esaki with the green printed over it, then lined and chalked lightly with yellow-tan on the backside to correct the colors and make it a bit more opaque.  Tissue went on the wings nicely and seems to be shrinking up well.

Mike
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:58am by MKelly »  
IP Logged

Reply #46 - May 25th, 2019 at 8:18am

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Manoman- I wander back in and find this new category. I gotta find a wide-angle lens to document my "forgotten" projects. I gotta say, though, they're not forgotten. The are sitting around mocking me!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print