Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Forgotten Projects, Rebuilds, Rehabs, etc (Read 2633 times)
Reply #97 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:54pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Hey Mike...errr Tex, that's just about the most beautiful Spitfire that ever was (is)!  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #96 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 9:38pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Spectacular build and flying, Mike Smiley On your 250 and  300 turn flights it appears your Spitty was attacked by a couple of crafty Bf-109s  - Killdeer  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #95 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Beautiful flight on the spitfire. Will be waiting on the Waco story.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:25pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding maiden and trim flights.  She's a real beauty!  I envy your trimming site!  Sorry to hear about the WACO... I'm inspired to try to get something in the air asap.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #93 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:06am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Sorry to hear about the Waco incident Mike. But, like Pete said on HPA, it can be fixed. But the Spit looks great both on the ground and the air.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:31am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

It flies!  Took it out yesterday and did some initial trimming with a short, fat motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFyDNOI0Ck

Spitfire came home in one piece, Waco was in one piece but a slightly different geometry at the end of the day - but that will have to become it's own story...

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #91 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 10:52pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I remember my Robart Incidence Meter...thanks for the link, I'll post this in our gadgets, tools etc section. 

Amazing how this give you an accurate picture of the twist in that Spit's wing.  I like it!  Your fiddly bits really make this bird stand out!!! Smiley
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #90 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 9:21pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

The Spitfire is done!  Rigged the tail, painted the prop and spinner, finished up the lights and installed the antenna and antenna wires. 

I had to play with the stab mount a bit - I built a Schmidt incidence meter (http://www.modelflight.com/incidence.html)  and checked the decalage, decided I needed to allow a bit more negative incidence in the stab.  The wing twist is dramatic when you measure the incidence: +2deg at the root, -.75deg at average chord, and -6deg at the tip - 8 degrees of twist across the span!  I set the stab for 1deg negative incidence compared to the wing at average chord as a starting point with adjustment to go another degree and a half if necessary.  We'll see how it flies...

It took about 5g noseweight to balance the model at the TVo-calculated cg (~47% of average chord, 2.25" back from the LE at the root).  I drilled holes in the noseblock well and embedded three fishing sinkers in the cowl to get things close, then added a bit of clay over the lead to get to the final balance.  Weight without motor is 68.7g.

Look forward to seeing how it'll do in the air.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:30pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Got the rest of the gingerbread on the wings (tip lights, walkway lines, gun port patches and landing gear) and finished up the noseblock and spinner assembly today, along with adding a second set of magnets on the lower wing root as insurance against the wings popping loose in flight.  Still have to paint the power unit and do final assembly on the tail group.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:54pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Amazing how those fiddly bits make a model come alive!!!  This is an awesome job!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #87 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:39pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys, feels like I am in the home stretch now, fuselage is about done after today's work.  I made assorted lumps, bumps and fairings today for the cowl and tail group as well as making the antenna and fuselage lights.

Mocked it up and did preliminary weight and balance on it this evening.  63.2g empty weight, with another 4g needed to get the CG in the calculated spot.  Not a featherweight, but not as bad as I had feared.  The calculated CG is pretty far back (47% of average chord), so I wouldn't be surprised if I had to add a bit more noseweight during trimming.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the gingerbread on the wings, once that's done it'll be ready for final assembly.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 10:17pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Well I know how we all install magnets on appendages we fear might get knocked free during flight (or that process that abruptly stops flight) however I think would just be easier to make another rearward view mirror Grin   By the way, spanking good job there Smiley Smiley Smiley Absolutely brilliant    Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #85 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 12:48pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...crisp and clean craftmanship!!!  Very inspirational work Mike! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 6:57am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Me too. A very impressive build and the work is superb. Your attention to the smallest of details really sets this build apart.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #83 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 11:41pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I am speechless!

Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print