Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting a Spinner to a Propeller (Read 119 times)
May 30th, 2019 at 8:21pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's my attempt to explain how I approach the fitting of the propeller to the spinner and visa-versa.  I've tried to mount the prop on a base with a vertical prop shaft wire.  I make this out of a piece of music wire and rt triangles to glue it in straight up.  Then I measure the angles of the blade at the outside diameter of the spinner.  I then use my calipers for the thickness of the blade and transfer that to a piece of paper at the proper angle.  I then find the center line of the bottom of the spinner (easier to draw the diameter of the spinner on paper and draw a line through the center of the circle with the line breaking the circumference at 180* from each line end). Set the spinner on the circle and mark the spinner where the line breaks the circumference of the bottom of the spinner.  Now take the paper with the prop angle laid out on it and the width of the prop blade and place the angle in the middle of the mark on the spinner.  (make sure you're oriented properly for the prop blades...don't ask how I know you can lay them out in the wrong direction.) Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Huh Wink
Then repeat for the opposite side of the spinner...  I'll try to draw up some pictures to illustrate what I just said. 
Some blades will have curvature in the blades where they pass through the spinner.  Instead of cutting a straight slot, you'll need to match the slot to the curvature of the blade either with a paper pattern or contour guage tool
you can buy at hardware/home stores Like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Here's a pdf of the above info hope this helps. There's another option to the paper strip. Use masking tape to tape the angled rectangle to the spinner and cut through the tape to make the slots for the prop blades in the spinner.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2019 at 9:40pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print