Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
A "Tiny Taylorcraft" (Read 1519 times)
Reply #34 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 11:40am

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Here's a bush T-Craft operating in Alaska. Showing off tundra tires.

https://youtu.be/bzYexqeJejo

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 11:34pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

I like the brown and cream you spoke of. There is a sample of such a colour scheme in reply 12 of my Champ thread.
The T-Craft looks anxious to get airborne Smiley Really nice looking. Really digging those wheels!
You might like this video on the T-Craft
https://youtu.be/22kn7_LRphg
(Make sure you set the resolution at its highest)
Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 10:40pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Looks like time to consider a color scheme...tissue work ahead.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 2:59pm

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Hey, Neal. Your wheels really look great Smiley Smiley   Yeah, it can get troublesome if you don't have a smoothe surface to begin with. It seems to work better at higher rpm (not screaming) and always keep in mind which way the part is turning. Lay your xacto blade at an angle with the tip ever so slightly pointing toward the direction of rotation and then apply pressure as needed.
Your "tundra" tires are done very well Wink Smiley Cheesy  One good thing is if you mess up it doesn't take much time to start another. Keep the rod holding the balsa short so there won't be any wobbling.

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:04pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Neo's set the bar higher for all of us...no more lazy-modeler wheels.  Wink  Tried my hand at his technique...single solid disc...chucked into a Dremel...using a #11 blade like a wood chisel and a lathe.  Observation:  You'd better have things trued up well before touching that blade to wood...lest you find out in a hurry the error of your ways.  Hand-held lathe work is just a bit iffy.

However...it is quick.  Smiley

Those are 5/8"dia. wheels...still a bit large for scale...but we'll call them "bush wheels."

Shortened the LG length...Sterling's LG too long to be attractive...might help in a ROG...but who's doing that?

Built a Comet 20"ws T-craft once upon a time.  Seems to have been an later iteration of a kit that had all built-up empennage...but for whatever reason, Comet re-issued the kit with slab rudder and elevators.  Called it "Speedy-built!" Huh

Ok...back into my cave.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:46am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

You gave me a laugh this morning, Neo!  Thanks...kimosabe.  Grin Grin Grin  That pic I posted was actually taken in Alaska a few years ago...used it because the critters ordinarily don't let me see them during the day.  I was standing outside somewhere waiting for my travelling party (Alaska) when all of a sudden I heard the squabbling not far away...as a troop of raccoons came bubbling up out of the hole in an out-building roof...like "Out of my way...I'm first out today!"  Grin Grin Grin  They're devilishly cute looking...but oh so mischievous!

Neal

P1120327.jpg (99 KB | 6 )
P1120327.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:21am

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

Nice and comical raccoon pic. I'm reminded of a comment of the Firesign Theatre's: Waiting for the Electrician or Someone Like Him were Tonto spoofs the Lone Ranger "Hmmm...kimosabe you look like raccoon in reverse"  Raccoons are a big factor as our exterior decorators Shocked  They have a heyday in our backyard. We live in a heavily wooded area that houses many of little lawn digger rascals. They constantly trip our security lights alerting us of their presence. But then we also have a plethora of bluebirds, scarlet tangers, bunting blues, yellow warblers and even two pair of pileated woodpeckers. Not to mention many white tails. Makes the residence worth it.

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:04am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks for the kind words, Friends!  Wink

You called it a "bin of despair," but that's not what I see at all, Mike...more like interrupted ambitions n' fantasies. Still lots of potential in that bin!  Smiley  I haven't had many builds that I haven't slogged through to the end...but there have been a few.  For whatever short-sighted reason, I eventually tossed the effort in the waste-can.  Seems that afterward...they always came back to haunt me...I wish I'd not done that!  And so...I seem to sooner or later...begin the same effort all over again...to make up for my short-sightedness.  I truly envy your "bin of despair," Mike.  They're all still waiting for you to finish the "job." Smiley  Incidentally...I LIKE that bird-like glider...very attractive...and what is that wing on top, some sort of Lippisch flying machine?  Smiley

Beware the big yard, Mike (Canada)...I've got one of those...thought it was wonderful once upon a time.  Now the kids are gone and the local flora n' fauna believe it's a preserve intended for them. Huh  But really...my iron-man days are over...got three fused vertebrae...and "cutting the hay" is a real weekly event in my life.  Young woman came to my front door not long ago to declare that I've "got raccoons."  I responded, "Mam...so do you...the Cong operate in a multi-mile-wide radius.  We DON'T have them...they have us."  Shocked Grin  For some folk, it's a new world every day! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Craig...these models aren't so much the meds as they are the affliction.  Just kidding, of course......

I love this hobby...and my pals as well...including the raccoons.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:30am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Your T-Craft is looking good Neal - I love these old Sterling twin kits, more for the memories of my youth than anything else.  I think I mentioned in your Stearman thread that I'd built this pair long ago, the Stearman in high school and the Taylorcraft in the late '90s.  The T-Craft still sits in my bin of despair, covered but undecorated.  I tried flying it once or twice but didn't take it past the trimming stage - perhaps someday I'll re-cover it and try again. 

Yours will be a gem I'm sure.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:28am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Neal, I was never very far away, had a little time every morning to read in but that's about all. Got a big piece of property and getting it mowed and planted takes more time than in the past. Couple that with my wife's flair for landscaping and the heavy work is all mine. No building after a day of that.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:44pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I would posit that the model IS my meds Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:28am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Grin Grin Grin Grin...Those imaginary flights have somewhat dissipated since laying my Lightning aside, Neo.

On the other hand...considering the subject of fractured stringers...it's a matter of pre-ordination.  If I'm to consider the validity of the "BIG BANG THEORY," it was all meant to be, i.e., one single molecule out of place upon the great billiard table called the Universe...and who knows the result? Shocked  To be a modeler...one needs to be something of a stoic....forget your meds...unless of course...that too is part of the BIG BANG.  There is nothing random. Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:11am

neoflight   Offline
...now how am I gonna
get that down!
West Tennessee

SWEEEEEET, Neal!  May I per adventure that you, on more than one occasion, have "piloted" the fuselage through the air while trilling your tongue?  My Champ has travelled across the work space many times. Even landed! (Oops...forgot my meds again)

Neoflight

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 9:47am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Neo...Mike...it's all deception...nothing is absolute...nor perfect.  In the scheme of the universe..."Don't mean a thing,"...or does it? Shocked Cool Roll Eyes

Ah yes...this was meant to be...HAD TO BE!  Wink  Or as the old song sang..."Little things mean a lot."  The Universe is depending on me! Smiley

Great to see you've returned Mike...I've missed you!  Cheesy Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 9:16am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Great progress Neal, always envy your ability to reach down in those tiny fuselages and glue in those cross members. Really nice.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print