Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dumas 30" Fokker Eindecker (New Guy) (Read 1168 times)
Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:05am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Yep, he also has a SPAD VII he's building for himself. I flew an air to air photo shoot with him in his DR1 several years ago.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:24pm

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

Neal, when I was perusing through the site I came across your F2b build and read the whole thread. Amazing model!

Mark, I do find that intriguing...is that the aeroplane Fred Murrin is building?

Bret

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 11:21am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Speaking of "Brisfit Biceps," Bret...I had "Brisfit Fingers" by the time I'd finished with my own F2B build.  Was all worth it.  I love those square boxy WWI fuselages! Wink Smiley Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 11:41pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Bret, this might tweek your interest, a full scale F2B with an original engine. It's a big airplan! There's a guy I know who builds WWI replicas. He built Kermit Weeks DVII. It's 25 miles east of me.

Mark

image_494.jpeg (136 KB | 13 )
image_494.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 12:39pm

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

Thanks for the advice guys, beat to fit it is. A few days away from the build letting the kids get some 1:1 scale airplane time with their granddad. Not sure who was happier: them or him!

A story for another day, but I can attest to the muscle and grunt...i.e. Bristol Fighter pilots were know for having "Brisfit Biceps."

Bret

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 12:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

That is one nice lookin' kit Bret...and you're doin' it justice.  Smiley

Many of these mid-wing types bring an added challenge to the modeler, i.e., that wing passes mighty close to the rubber motor's thrustline.  If you haven't done so yet, put a straight edge along the fuselage side, motor peg to prop shaft...just to check clearances.  I'm with Tom though...the larger-sized models don't really lend themselves to butt-joined wings very well...and a single unit is always easier to align.  Cut to match...beat to fit...an emery board will work wonders.  Smiley

I've always marveled that a guy like Immelmann would even dare execute his namesake maneuver!  We hear of an aircraft being light on the controls...the EIII was pure muscle controlled!  Muscle, grunt and strain control!  Incidentally...the "Immelmann" was called a "reinversement" by Allied pilots during WWI, as per E.V. Rickenbacker.  Wink Smiley

Nice "work," Bret.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 10:30am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If I can build a one piece wing, I always choose this over building a multi piece wing just to insure alignment of all the surfaces.  Much easier to build a one piece wing straight and with the same incidence in all panels.  I think you'll find that the sliding of the wing into place won't be that big of a problem and using sanding stick to clear any obstructions so the wing will fit tightly and easily through the fuselage.  I'd stick with the plan at this point.(just me and my preference)  I would add some washout in the wing trailing edge at the tip at least 1/16".  This is my take on this build, not having built this model/kit before.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 10:20am

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

The Fokker Scourge plods along. Not nearly as dire as the RFC's situation during the winter of '15/16, but still an uphill battle! Everything is going ok but looking ahead I'm pondering the final assembly. The instructions call for building the entire wing, covering and then sliding into the fuselage. I think the only way to do that is to enlarge the slot in the fuselage to a point that when the wing is actually in place, I'll have to go back in and fill the gaps. I'm wondering if I should build the center section, install in the fuselage and then attach the outer panels at the required dihedral? Also, I see no reference to washout in the drawings or instructions. Would you guys recommend that I add some?

Bret

Fokker_4.jpg (124 KB | 17 )
Fokker_4.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 9:11pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Bret,

Glad to know I'm not alone in the colorful language department.  Now I know why I'm relegated to the gardener's shed.....  Actually, our apartment is too small for my hobby and we managed to gain his blessing.  And yes, it is relaxing. 

Neal's Fokker Eindecker is incredible and a great source of both inspiration and information.  Neal should be able to help you with any issues that come up. 

Glad to see your son entering our world.  It's great.  Please extend our high five to him and great showing!!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 10:41pm

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

Neal, what a fabulous looking aeroplane! I'm fumbling along with this giant thing...I can't imagine making a peanut scale model look that great. I've dabbled in making 1/43rd scale Formula 1 cars and my wife hears my colorful language and asks if this hobby thing is really relaxing!

With more practice I hope I can get close to what you guys are doing. Thanks for the encouragement!

Bret

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 9:28pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Oh no, Bret...not intended to be dare at all.  Just imagine how nice your Eindecker will look with some sweet WWI wheels!  She looks really nice as is...and I'm sure whatever you choose will be equally nice.  Smiley  E III's are always lots of fun.  Here's mine....Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 9:05pm

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

Neal, that sounds like a dare! I did say the goal was a straight box-stock build but I may have to try wheels and a prop like I see all you guys are making. First the cowling...

Bret

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:33pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

And it does deserve center billing, Count...because IT IS A WORK OF ART!  Beautiful job, too.  Smiley  How are you going to address those wheels...lots of wheel making lately around here.  Those are the models-within-the-model.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:29pm

Countbretski   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Spokane, WA

Slow but steady progress. The basic fuselage is built. Now on to some fiddlier bits: engine, cowling etc. Still looking at a lot of your builds and absorbing. I'm planning on building this box-stock just to see if I can accomplish a relatively clean/straight build.

My "portable" work board doesn't help with the straight part, but it allows some quality time with the wife. I stick the bones on the mantel to protect it from kids, dogs etc. Trying to convince the family that such a work of art deserves center billing!

Bret

Fokker3.jpg (103 KB | 15 )
Fokker3.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 9:54pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Those Lego's can be real handy!!!  Looking forward to following this build.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print