HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buffalo Redo (Read 814 times)
Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 9:51am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Those models look great, Alf!  The warps in the Sportwing...strip 'er and re-cover...a very "do-able" thing...and the Gee Bee is always a real "looker."  Like Gee Bees.  Nothing quite like strapping an engine to oneself...a very large engine! Smiley Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 10:53am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

The Buffalo looks super to me!

Two more out of my 1990s smash-bin. A Kinner Sportwing and a Geebee R-1, both from Cleveland plans. The Kinner has some serious warps, while the Geebee had to be stripped down to the bones.

I think I will try scigs tissue technique on the Geebee. Not too sure yet that I understand everything about it, but why not!!

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:56pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Mike!  Hey...finish your Buffalo...like I just did...this little peanut was not exactly constructed as a work of art...but put a new skin on her...gussy her up a bit an' your Diels Buffalo will work out GREAT!  Smiley

I look at it this way...I have the ability to build a great set of bones...and then undo it all with a lousy finish...Orrrrr...I can construct a lousy set of bones...and put an evening gown on her...looks terrific...like meeting a gal in a dimly lighted saloon.  Wink

Got her done...Hey, happy days are here again, the sky is blue, it's clear again....etc.

Here she is.......my new-old gal.  Smiley Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:34am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I'm moderately tickled with the appearance of my Buffalo's new clothes, i.e., the fuselage lettering

You should be. It looks just great and need to tell you I have unabashedly copied your plan and have been considering resurfacing my Diels Buffalo but on inspection, it was built rather crudely and not up to my present requirement so will probably rebuild it somewhere down the road. The project is looking really good.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:32pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Down to a canopy....

Prop used the old spinner...blades are the "cottage cheese carton" variety...only not from a cottage cheese carton.  I think they're from an old bleach bottle from years ago.  I tried the cottage cheese carton blades...found that although they'd flex...too many wiggles and they'd snap right off.  So decided to try something a little tougher...cut out a bunch of blanks from a big vinyl bleach bottle...had them in my parts box forever.

I've noticed that on my previous vinyl blade props...they'd flex and the paint would begin to crack off...find myself looking a white vinyl!  This time I blackened them with a Sharpie pen...then painted and gave them a flat clear coat.  It's done...they are very durable.  Blade angle at the hub is 45deg...5"dia.

Good day.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 4:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If you're ever looking for decals or to make your own tissue-cals check out our decal section: Click Here 

RCGroups for model aircraft decals, all kinds of markings, national insignias, squadron markings or manufacturer's logos-
RCGroups link: Click Here
Tom
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:49pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 2:13pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Some of you modelers are experts at manipulating delicate tissue cut-out lettering...but not this guy.  That's why I'm moderately tickled with the appearance of my Buffalo's new clothes, i.e., the fuselage lettering.

I found some "decals" that closely matched what I wanted...with only partial satisfaction in their resolution.  What the heck...stand-off scale, right?  Wink  Printed them out in several sizes...just in case I had to mix n' match to get a good appearance...then lightly coated the backside with FLAT WHITE Krylon.  For whatever reason...I've always had success with flat white...so when I ran out of that (another model) I tried gloss white.  Don't know the reason...but the gloss paint seemed to want to soak through the tissue to the front side!  That won't work.  Soooo...FLAT WHITE is the ticket.

Roundels were all attached with glustick...worked great.  The lettering was a different situation.  Rub a glustick over them (after carefully cutting them out with a NEW No.11 blade) and you'll tear them up bad.  Sooooo...applied with a small brush and white glue/water solution.  The white paint backing helped it all stay together...but still not a lot of time to position things...they stick NOW and the more you try to push them around...the worse it'll get.

I had to "cheat" on that registration number...wrong number as well for Sgt. Fisken's aircraft).  I cut it as a "block" as was done during WWI.  Oh well, roll with the situation...use what you've got...try to fool the audience.

Down to a canopy and propeller.....

As I've already said...my original model was constructed from my own plans many years ago...alas no photos.  Its wingspan was 22"...drawings on vellum...no extended landing gear.  It was also the very first model that I ever tried my skills at laminating the wingtips and empennage.  It was finished as per the F2A-2 model exhibited at the Navy's Aviation Museum in Pensacola.  Isn't it interesting that they're displaying an F2A-2 and NOT an F2A-3 that they sent the Marines on Midway Island out to defend with....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 4:47pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks again, Mike...yeh, that about covers it.  I'm guessing...but I think the 339-23's were those 339D's that were taken over by the USAAF in Australia...survivors from Netherland East Indies contract.  Funny how the little Buffalo got around.  Wink

I'm always interested in anyone's Buffalo build.  Smiley

Neal

Further clarification...339-23 was indeed part of an export contract to the Netherland East Indies...export version of the F2A-3.  In as much as the East Indies were by then occupied by the Japanese...these aircraft were delivered to Australia...and incorporated into the RAAF and USAAF inventory.  They were never committed to combat operations...good thing as the F2A-3 was a dud (Design combat effectiveness destroyed by continual US Navy modifications, i.e., witness the Defense of Midway Island.).  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh about the F2A-3...it still remains however, that the earlier versions as well as the 239 and 339 versions (less the 339-23) were all superior to the F2A-3...by a large margin.  Additionally, the defenders of Midway were literally facing a highly experienced enemy with a vastly superior aircraft.  Tough odds for anyone on that day in history.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 4:36pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Kerak wrote on Jul 28th, 2019 at 4:12pm:
Thanks, Mike...any Buffalo build is a GOOD Build.  Wink  Were there really 3 versions?  Wink Cheesy Grin

Neal

Dave's posted pre-order info on his website (link below).  He says "The kit will allow the builder to choose one of the following versions of the Buffalo. These are the F2A-1, F2A-2, F2A-3, Model 239, Model 339B, Model 339E, and Model 339-23. "  That should about cover things...

https://dielsengineeringinc.com/special-offers.html

Yours is really looking great!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 4:12pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Mike...any Buffalo build is a GOOD Build.  Wink  Were there really 3 versions?  Wink Cheesy Grin  Did you know...at one point one prototype was constructed with two 20mm cannon...but alas...contract canceled by the Navy.  They really wanted Brewster to go away...but that's another story.

Hey...by the time the "Buffalo Society" is finished...this little airplane will be historically known as the most heroic combat aircraft that ever existed!  For some crazy reason I've always loved this little airplane...maybe a previous life? Wink

Ok...got the last of the tissue markings applied...and I cheated.  Couldn't see how I was gonna get that registration number on there as per the originals...so did it as per WWI...on a white block.  Hope 243 Sqn will accept that...I still love 'em.  Wink Smiley Grin

There's so much info on the side of that airplane...looks like a billboard!  Why'd they bother with the camouflage?  She's a little sweetheart! Wink Grin

Neal

P1180754.jpg (133 KB | 4 )
P1180754.jpg
P1180756.jpg (121 KB | 0 )
P1180756.jpg
P1180758.jpg (112 KB | 3 )
P1180758.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 2:59pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Looking very nice Neal!  While in New York I got a chance to look over Dave Diels' soon-to-be-released laser-cut Buffalo kit.  Very complete plans and kit, with detailed instructions for building three different versions (and beautiful waterslide decals for each one) and a very nice interlocking assembly approach that should make it easy to build straight.  Between your build and drooling over the kit, I want one!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 1:49pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Got some markings on the Buffalo...more still to go.

Love these non-enlightened historical posters.  Cheesy Grin Grin

Neal

P1180751.jpg (38 KB | 2 )
P1180751.jpg
P1180753.jpg (40 KB | 3 )
P1180753.jpg
P1180747.jpg (70 KB | 3 )
P1180747.jpg
raaf_poster.jpg (79 KB | 2 )
raaf_poster.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 2:59pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

With all that I've said concerning the unhappiness that seemed to have been generated throughout the British Empire during WW2...witness the story of WO Henry Talalla, Malaysian-born Typhoon pilot, RAF....

Henry Talalla

Warrant Officer Henry Conrad Benjamin Talalla was a Malaysian airman of the Royal Air Force who died during the Second World War.

He was born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaya, the son of Hewage Benjamin and Lily Olga Talalla. He and his brother Cyril enlisted in the RAF in 1941. His brother survived the conflict and was a twice-recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross, awarded in recognition of his service over occupied Europe.

Aged 24, Talalla, a pilot in 182 Squadron, died on 25 July 1944 when his Hawker Typhoon was lost during the Battle of Normandy while engaged on a close air support sortie.

He is buried in Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery, France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0rhnPWmFQ

Seems nothing is ever truly black and white....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 1:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Nice...she's looking good! Y'all building all these different models are really pushing my "To Do List" to the limit!!! Grin Cheesy Wink Cool

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 11:44am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Tom...I think I've got a book with an illustration of a Ki-44 Tojo in that very same brown color...a future build?

The Finnish 239 shown in my previous post was fished out of its watery landing strip (lake) in 1998 (aircraft was on fire...burned away rudder fabric...pilot made it to shore...all behind enemy lines...and walked back to his own "friendlies").  It was in such good condition (considering) that the decision was made to display it as-is instead of a complete restoration.  If the Spitfire is a national icon in Britain...believe me, "The Brewster" is right up there in Finland as well.  That's what the Finns call it...THE BREWSTER.  Incidentally, the name "Buffalo" was coined by the British...not by Americans.

At last have my Model 339E recovered with camouflage applied.  Camo is airbrushed latex, sealed with clear flat Krylon.

Found a very nice plastic Tamiya model of Sgt. Fisken's aircraft (more or less)...my objective (more or less).

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print