Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Curtiss Page Navy Racer (Read 3315 times)
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:50am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Just something about a plane with wheel pants... Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 5:52pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Still puttering along with the fuselage....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 6:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Wheel pants....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 11:32am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks for all the input Mike, John and Tom...yeh, Trexler! 

Kind of an interesting story behind that gas FF build across the road when I was a kid...seems the kid's father had somehow come into possession of this boxed cabin model FF...and talked some other guy into coming around to construct it for him...no one else could get near it...certainly not touch it.  I recall thinking at the time, "So what's the fun of this?"  Eventually, when all was said and done...the guy who constructed it...bought it from the guy across the road...and it was gone!  It was covered in silk...real silk cloth!

Laid in bed last night thinking about those red plastic wheels...this stuff is important.  Wink  Drilled them out this morning and the weight went down to 1.7g...ok, in the game again!

Also...thanks for all the input on balloon wheels...John and Tom.  Looked up to see what Comet had way back in their 1936 catalogue...20 cents a pair, 2 3/4" dia.!  And today...Trexler is still making them (thanks Tom)...2 1/2" dia. for $29!!!!  Ahhhhhh...just a bit of markup on that item.  Let's think about this...back in '36, that 20 cents would get you into the "picture show."  Today...I don't believe the cinema costs $29...does it?

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 9:03am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Another fun build and a quick lesson in history. By the time I write this you will probably have the wings done and sitting on top for a picture. Always enjoy your builds and thanks for the history on each.
Mikre

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 9:07pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ah yes...Trexler: found this link Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 7:54pm

John Webster   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Painesville, Ohio

Trexler balloon airwheels. You could still get them in the early 60s.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 6:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The Navy Racer is coming along nicely.  I remember those wheels too.... might even had a set at one time for a large Bird Dog kit!! Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 5:16pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ok...quitin' time here at Curtiss-Utah...got the LG in place...long...but then Comet was calling for a 5" dia. prop on a 12.5" ws model.  Think I'll stick with 5" dia. on a 15"ws model.

Wheels were already constructed...1"dia 1.25g.  The red discs in the background are same diameter at 2.1g  Shame to used nice balsa wheels covered up by wheel pants.  Wonder what came in the box back in '33?  Oh well....

I recall as a kid...guy constructing a genuine glo-engine free flight model (big) across the road...it had actual pneumatic tires/tube that were inflated by blowing into a little rubber stem...then while pinching it over, tucking it under the tire/tube and between the rim...truly functional!  Imagine what some manufacturer would charge retail for that feature today!  Probably cost 10 cents in those days (originally).  Smiley

Have a good weekend all!

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 11:21am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well...there goes the neighborhood...no more SE5...not with that nose.  Of course, this is as interpreted by Comet way back in 1933...certainly not scale.  Then...we're not worried about scale here...just creating a cutie.

Plan doesn't suggest hollowing the nose block...or even the use of a nose button.  Since I'll no doubt require weight up front anyway, I'm considering merely drilling for an aluminum tube bearing, etc.

Must bend a landing gear wire today...easy job, not like the old days working with the big heavy stuff.  Had to have a bench vise to anchor a serious wire bending gizmo back then!  Don't miss that at all.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 9:32pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Fuselage looks great... I can see the similarity!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 2:51pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

More fuselage...looks remarkably like an SE5 at this point.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 6:40pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Little bit of construction...the fuselage box...isn't that the keystone of a model?  Once you've got that down...you're on your way!  Comet's rendition is sorta narrow...whereas that actual item was a bit chunky...but decided to stick with the Comet design.  Remember...Comet called for a 12.5"ws...very small...this is only slightly larger at 15.5"...but even that helps with my fat fingers.  Already had to repair broken bits n' pieces.  Huh

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 1:30pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal...she's a real looker...tragic about the outcome...they were pushing the envelope a lot at that time and some shortcuts were taken.  I look forward to this build... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 10:31am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

As you by now will have read (no doubt), the Curtiss XF6C-6 was one spectacular aircraft...a racer extraordinaire...albeit with one great flaw...it's exhaust vented into the cockpit area!  In it's debut National Air Race at Chicago in 1930...it not only out-performed all others, but had actually lapped the entire field by lap 17!  That's when things "went south."  The pilot, Captain Arthur Page, USMC turned the pylon, suddenly climbed...then headed for the infield area...switching off his Curtiss Conqueror engine as he went.  Although the aircraft appeared to be "controlled" initially, Page came in too steeply and crashed.  Rushed to hospital, he died hours later, never having regained consciousness.  Final conclusion was that he'd been overcome by exhaust fumes leaking into the cockpit...and although the cockpit was technically open, he'd discovered the situation too late to avoid the final outcome.  I've read that "heads rolled" within the Naval Aviation people...which if true, would only be too typical for government.  Still, the XF6C-6 was an outstanding aircraft...a one-of-a-kind...rushed into competition...the one that should have been victorious...but wasn't.

I'm amazed that Comet Models chose to market this model in the first place (3 years after the disaster).  It's a tribute to what was obviously a fascination story in the public eye.

Here's a couple of plastic models that illustrate what it's color scheme should be...more or less.  I'm faced with deciding to build my model "more accurately," or to go with Comet's interpretation.  How about a combination?  Smiley

Also...a website for the KAPA KOLLECTOR bulletins on the Flying Aces Club website...Issue 17 features Joe Dallaire and many of his plans, specifically a peanut Page Navy Racer.  I've already constructed his Kawasaki Fighter peanut...Joe was a real pioneer in our hobby.

http://flyingacesclub.com/wp/the-fac-library/the-kapa-newsletter-archive/

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print