Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Curtiss Page Navy Racer (Read 3319 times)
Reply #45 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 10:06am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ok...this, I believe, is the very aircraft of which we've been speaking.  Note that it appears to have the same civil registration number (letters) and yet two different models...same manufacturer.  We've gone from the 225 to the 234...with the 230 (un-cowled) in-between...which was the French quintessential trainer...virtually our Stearman.  MS 230 was first flown in 1929...with obviously many modification to the basic design, before and after.  What a researcher's nightmare!  Grin Grin Grin

And yes...there is an SnT plan out there....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:17am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I was really tickled by that NYTimes article about the Curtiss Navy Races...would have been quite a memorable event for anyone in attendance...and a launch/pickup of an aircraft by a dirigible! Oh the wonder of it all.... Shocked Grin

I'm with the Morane Saulnier voters...seems to have been a MS "French Pursuit" type demonstrating in this country at the Cleveland Air Races in 1931-32...so why not debut at the Nationals in Chicago 1930?  Here's a Cleveland photo with the cowl removed (maybe warmer here than in Europe).  Wonder if there's a plan somewhere...bet there is.  Smiley

My Captain Page Navy Racer is completed...stay tuned for pictures...hot off the presses.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:06am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Other than it seems to be a Morane Saulnier of some sort, no certainty here either.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:26am

Dan   Offline
Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

Sky9pilot wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:34pm:
Am I sensing another plane for the "To Do List?"

I think so. A Google image search wasn't much help with this one.

I'm not 100% convinced that the plane in alfakilo's screen shot is a Morane Saulnier MS 224-225. Three hallmarks led to this lack of conviction. First, the MS 224-225's main gear strut braces extend farther forward than those on the unknown aircraft. The unknown aircraft's wing also has a more prominent cutout over the cockpit. Finally, the top of the vertical stabilizer (rudder) is rounded on the MS 224-225 and more squared off on the unknown. The MS 224-225 also appears to have a bulkier fuselage.

That said, it is possible that the unknown aircraft is a modified MS 224-235. Aviation was different back in 1930. To make such alterations today, one would have to fill out an FAA Form 337.

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I think it might be a Morane Saulnier MS 224-225... It's the fin and rudder that mark it for me.
Am I sensing another plane for the "To Do List" AK???
Sky9pilot

M225.jpg (100 KB | 25 )
M225.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 10:03pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Screenshot from that video. Anyone recognize this airplane?

ScreenHunter_665.bmp (307 KB | 32 )
ScreenHunter_665.bmp
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:59pm

Dan   Offline
Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

Neal, that was a great video. Thanks for sharing it! I definitely would not go stunt-flying in a Ford Trimotor. (A few years ago, while living in Fresno, I was treated to the sight and sound of the EAA's Trimotor flying overhead...an experience I will never forget!)

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 3:36pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Howdy friends and neighbors...it's Tuesday.  Been out cuttin' the lower 40...waged war with the concrete-expansion-joint-vegetation scourge...and now it's overcast and threatening rain...good...free water.

The first time I'd ever heard of Captain Page...I wondered, "Who is this guy?"  Couldn't imagine a Navy Captain (O6) cruising around a racing closed circuit course. Huh  Then learned it was a Marine...ok, I get it...but then, he crashed...lost the race!  What kind of hero is that?

Digging a bit further...there's a lot more to the guy...outstanding individual!  Academy graduate...WWI veteran....

So today, a bit of the detail on our hero....

Capt Arthur Hallet Page, Jr
Birth      17 Sep 1895 Saint Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, USA
Death      1 Sep 1930 (aged 34) Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA
Burial      Arlington National Cemetery Arlington, Arlington County, Virginia, USA
Plot      Section 7 Site 9059
Memorial ID      46849185 · View Source

Second Lieutenant A. H. Page, USMC, was designated Naval Aviator #536 on 14 March 1918. Later assigned #775 by the Marine Corps. Graduated U.S. Naval Academy in 1917, Class of 1918 (one year early due to the World War).

Awarded the DFC (posthumous) for completing the longest recorded blind flight, from Omaha, Neb. to Anacostia, WDC on 21 July 1930.

Died as the result of his sacrificial crash during the Thompson Trophy Race at the National Air Races, in Chicago.

Page Field at MCB Parris Is., SC was named in his honor on 19 Sept. 1938.

Was the son of Arthur Senior and the former Miss Mina Smith. Had married Miss Florence I. Shaw in 1917.

And here's an interesting video...home movies....

Home movie 1930 National Air Races Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkF-mXYUvtw

Neal

19300601_NYT-1.jpg (350 KB | 32 )
19300601_NYT-1.jpg
1918_Page_LB.jpg (77 KB | 31 )
1918_Page_LB.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:30pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Wing covering...simulated wing surface-mounted radiators.  I've fudged on the color scheme...real ship wing underside was overall Navy blue.  I like the chrome yellow.  Wink  National insignia was not installed on the wing underside.

Neal

XF6C-6_MAN_p43.jpg (350 KB | 41 )
XF6C-6_MAN_p43.jpg
P1180891.jpg (38 KB | 27 )
P1180891.jpg
P1180892.jpg (37 KB | 39 )
P1180892.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 8:26am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:47am:
Neal,
You might try sanding the backside of one end of the cardstock that will be overlapped 1/8" or so for a bit smoother joint when glued...just a thought! Wink Cool

Good idea! I'll try it since I use card stock a lot and have to work at smoothing joints out.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:47am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
You might try sanding the backside of one end of the cardstock that will be overlapped 1/8" or so for a bit smoother joint when glued...just a thought! Wink Cool

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 8:21pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Here’s an idea…instead of a wooden dowel passing through the hub…how about using an aluminum tube…say 1/8”dia.(or larger...appropriate for the model), drilled appropriately for a wire prop shaft.  Then, using a straight pin through the back balsa disc for alignment (pin also passes through drilled prop shaft hole)…get everything aligned before any gluing.  Then use that wooden dowel for the ends of the blades…allows for a press fit into the tube…and pitch adjustment.  Just an idea.  I do like the idea of the wooden dowel passing through the hub…strong…but still need to drill a hole for that prop shaft...which may weaken things again.

Yeh…the smaller the hub gets, the more difficult it is to handle things.  Alignment got a bit touchy on the Page Racer prop…some cursing helped.  Actually…I used a new sharp #11 blade to cut slots in the cardstock…after the hub was partially assembled!  Careful business…but it worked.  Tends to give me a new and added respect for those Comet P-38 cardstock patterns!

Those balsa discs, front and back, should help you keep things aligned...try using a straight pin through the center point of each.  I'm joining the cardstock first...then inserting the first disc...as Comet did.  The smaller the prop gets, the more inaccurate my operations are.  Somehow I was really lucky when it came to balance for the P-38 and Oscar props...but not for the Page Racer. Maybe I've got more blade on one side than the other? Just a little would throw it all off. Shocked

The cardstock overlap is a problem as far as not being smooth.  So far, I’ve just accepted for what it is.  Might try “shaving” it with that same new sharp blade.

I don’t think any of my “made” props will ever rival a good plastic unit…but sure is fun making them.  Best of fortune with the Karas prop! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 1:50pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 12:19pm:
As I'm certain is obvious by now...I really enjoyed creating those props for the Comet P-38.Neal

You got me hooked on them too!

I'm trying a modification of this method with the Karas. Instead of gluing the prop ends together inside the spinner, I'm gluing a wood dowel through the sides of the spinner and then attaching the prop blades to the dowel. Maybe will make things easier, maybe not.

Have you had any problems with keeping the shape of the card stock spinner round and smooth? Especially with Peanut size spinners, I'm having difficulties there.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 12:55pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Alf...I'd say you managed printing a tissue finish in a dandy way on your little Fiat G-50.  Smiley

My biggest concerns at printing a complete tissue finish is of course in shrinking everything tight...and also, the darker the printed color, the more trouble I've had with any type of moisture blotching it badly.  That dark blue wasn't going to be fun to deal with.  Problem was solved with clear butyrate dope...the ink seems to not be effected by it...and the dope itself has tautening features...so both problems solved with one cure.

As we've both talked about before...that black-blue tissue seems to be heavier than lighter colored tissue...and is difficult to work with.  That was the case this time as well when I used it on the fuselage upper decking.  The printed tissue was lighter...and went on very easily (glustick).  The next time I need that dark blue color...think I'll try printing the entire finish...no more heavy dark tissues for me.

As you can tell, Dan...I don't visit the cinema very often nowadays.  Does anyone?  I suppose they do...at the dollar theatre.   WinkGrin  Too many other sources for movies....  Obviously "demand" has a great influence upon cost...at the cinema...and in this hobby as well. Smiley

Wing has been covered...the old fashioned way.  Wink Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 9:15am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Nice!! I really need to try tissue printing, it looks great!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print