Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Curtiss Page Navy Racer (Read 1314 times)
Reply #60 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 11:49pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That is a great looking model, and I like the way you posed it over the plan.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 11:30pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I use a completely different approach with tissue over tissue.  If it's very large I lay the tissue to be applied upside down and apply glue stick to the back of the tissue.  I then start applying it over the shrunk tissue before sealing, smoothing it out from the middle to the edges.  If the glue dries out a bit a small brush with isopropyl alcohol applied lightly to the glue side allows it to be smoothed in place till the whole piece is applied.  I did this with the camo applied on the Easy Built Spitfire in the beginner's tutorial....I then seal like I do normally.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 1:47pm

alfakilo   Online
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I agree with Neal. I use a well thinned Aleens glue to apply tissue over other tissue or balsa. One caution...make sure the underlying tissue has been waterproofed with something. I use dope, or, like with the GeeBee, over paint.

The job is much easier when using quality tissue like Esaki since it can be 'worked' without the risk of tearing. If I'm using gift wrap tissue, I have to be very careful when applying the tissue since it tends to tear or almost dissolve when worked wet. If the piece being covered is curved (like a wheel pant), I'll cut little slits in the tissue to help it conform to the curves.

I use a soft brush for the initial application and then brush the wrinkles or bubbles out with the brush or finger or even the brush handle. Whatever it takes!

To Neal's point, the nifty thing is that the water content in the glue acts as a shrinking agent as the tissue dries and helps smooth things out.

Finally, I use small pieces to cover things like cowls, for example, the GeeBee cowl probably required 4 or 5 pieces. To help hide the joint lines, I use a soft color pencil to make the joint less obvious. Prismacolor pencils are great for this!

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 1:06pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Likewise Mike, my experience as well...air bubbles.

Tissues was applied over previously doped-tissue surface with a watery white glue solution and brush...directly through the tissue.  It slid around some...so had to watch its postioning.  Worked the tiny air bubbles to the edges, best I could...but still seemed to be some that remained.  Funny thing...as the applied brown tissue dried...those tiny air bubbles seemed to shrink and disappear!  It all came out as a smooth surface in the end.  Smiley

Of course, you want to work the bubbles to the edges as much as possible while the tissue is wet...but don't work it so much that you destroy the tissue!  Wink

The wing radiators were supposed to be brass...looked at various colors...decided the brown was the best appropriate contrasting color.  Have some teak-colored tissue that seemed to melt into the wing chrome yellow.  HuhBesides...brass tarnishes and can't imagine anyone up on the wing with their rag and can of "Brasso" rubbing away.  Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 12:26pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Neal - Been meaning to ask how you put the brown tissue over the yellow so well. Mine always seems to develop bubbles.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #55 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 9:39pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Tom...I'd better learn to "scan my instruments" more often!  Grin  Will do...thanks again.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
Make sure you don't need to "update your session" check the button next to "search" to see if update session is there.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:41pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I'm having a heck of time posting...says I don't have permission.  "What'd I do?" Roll Eyes

Thank you all for the kind words!

I weighed my creation...came in a 20.6g.  Not great, but not bad, either.

Keep building Friends!  We've got a sky to fill! Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:20pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Another superb build. Always interesting your choice of planes to build. The printed tissue is very nice and as A K mentioned, should give it a try.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #51 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:24pm

Dan   Offline

Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

If F-AJTP isn't the mystery aircraft, it is a pretty close match. I have been doing a little research to determine if it was present at the 1930 National Air Races; no luck thus far.

Captain Page looks great. Maybe after I've built a few more models, I will build a P-26 or a PT-17 in that color scheme.

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 4:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...ditto what AK said!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:31pm

alfakilo   Online
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Beautiful!! Never tire of that color scheme!

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:24pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

MS 225-230-234...would be a sweet model...interesting thing, that sweep-back...a dihedral effect.  Wonder what the color was for F-AJTP?  Might have been red...or maybe blue...compare the shade to the rudder tri-color.  Another interesting detail is that "rainbow" on the fuselage...forward of the cockpit...which would have obviously been the French tri-color again.  Red fuselage and tail.... Smiley Smiley

Ok...to finish the day's business...I present my 1933 Comet Model Airplane and Supply Company Captain Page Navy Racer (Curtiss XF6C-6)!  Wingspan is around 15" and haven't weighed her...yet.  Balance is very close as is...luck.  Finish is overall GLOSS...which causes issues with flash photography...but that's what she was in reality...waxed and highly polished.  She's a cutie...but a killer.  Huh  Can't figure that out.  I'm sure they flew her to Chicago for the Nationals...no problem there.  A leaking exhaust manifold?  A cracked exhaust manifold?  Somewhere, I once viewed a photo of the wreckage...don't know how anyone in those times could have remotely discovered a manifold cause...the wreckage was in that condition.  At any rate, Capt. Page was able to realize too late the situation...switched off his engine...and headed for the "infield" between the pylons.  Must have lost consciousness at the last second...and control of his aircraft.  A sad story for an aviation hero.

That disaster at Chicago in 1930 signaled the final formal participation of the military services in air racing.  Their participation had been sanctioned for public relations purposes as well as Congressional funding...and mishaps in the public eye were deemed to be counter-productive.

Thank you, all...for looking in...your support and participation.  It's been fun.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 10:47am

alfakilo   Online
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

LOL!!

Where did you find that at!!?? I think it's a match!!

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 10:46am

alfakilo   Online
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

A plan is available for the MS 230 which looks pretty similar.

High wings may fly better than low wings, so this is maybe a future project.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print