Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
electric motor equivalents and upgrades. (Read 304 times)
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 9:48pm

Rekitus Maximus   Online
re-kitter extrordinaire
(in flux) Caribou

I truly dislike comparing electric motors to internal combustion.

they operate a lot different.
here is one thread I found while trying to find
the site that I read a cox 049 maxed at about 80 watts of power...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1231015-049-Cox-engine-what-size-...

I like brushless outboard motors as they seem
to have a good power output to weight ratio.

the ESC should be matched to power requirements
so read the specs with care.
one can over bake this, I had a biplane that would counter rotate at full power...
do not miss the word 'had'

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 1:10pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

From many years ago when I was building rc planes and before that uc the engine sizes were given in, I believe, cubic inch equivalents... .049, .020, .25, .35, .45, .61 etc...  In my memory the Cox engines were the .020,.049, .051 sizes so I'm assuming the Astro 020 electric was equivalent to the Cox .020 engine in power.  I found this chart on equivalent engines to electric motors by Hacker: Click Here

Astro 020 specifications from Astro Motors: Click Here  From their chart looks like they're calling it 250 watts output.  So maybe brushless equivalent 250 watt motor would be the solution.  I've enjoyed researching this for you... Smiley

When you're ready to post about your Taube build you'll want to post on the Electric Builds if it's Electric Free Flight (Always Capitalized) or if it's rc in the rc section.  Looking forward to your build.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2019 at 3:38pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 9:28am

43mauser   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Ponoka

Thanks guys. The Gotha Taube plans showed up from Aerofred this am. Now I can determine the max. dimensions of the motor. The other plans are coming from Flying Models. I have never attempted to send text and pics of a build as I am quite new to computers. However I have a friend. Who is crackerjack at it. I'll start with the spoked wheels.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:40pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Hi 43, I’ve been messing with RC for a little while. Check out my hangar. I use a Spektrum DX6 transmitter and their receivers. Mostly 4 channel. For slow flyers and what I built Hitec’s H55S servos work great. Small and in expensive. I’ve been getting motors, batteries and props from Heads Up RC, they’re in Florida, couldn’t bring up their web sight tonight. I’ve called them for recommendations on motor sizes. Good pricing. Also Balsa Wood Inc. has good prices on wood. They also have bundles of miscellaneous sizes at great prices. If your weather is like mine, building season is around the corner. Looking forward to your builds.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Not really my expertise...found this link just doing a google on equivalent brushless motors to the Astro 020: Click Here
You might find some more info on WattFlyers Electric Forum... electric site for these kinds of motors: Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Aug 27th, 2019 at 10:31am

43mauser   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Ponoka

Hi, just getting back inti the hobby.I have ordered plans sets for some old scale model that were powered by the Astro 020 motor. I have a GothaTaube, An Etrich Taube, A Taube biplane a Taube biplane. Also Loening ol9 34" by Fulton Hungerford, Last is a Handsa -Branden burg by Tom Sandor.
All were meant for electric flight with the Astro 020..
My question is: what would be the modern equivalent motor and accesories. I,m guessing that modern R/C equipment might be the way to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ibuilt several free flight models in the 70,s Stromands Valkery ,Larry Kruse c/o2 Moraine Salnier. To name a couple.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print