HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
making spoked wheels (Read 127 times)
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 4:16pm

43mauser   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Ponoka

Hi. Guys. I still cannot load pics. I am pretty useless with a computer. So... I will try to describe how I make my e
wheels. Note them are somewhat heavy and may be better for rc.
Here goes:
Start with a piece of K&S brass channel 3/16 or 1/4 inch.The brass is hard so you will have to soften it by annealing.A small hand torch will work well I used A ronson model. In the past I have used an electric stove. Just turn on the burner , lay the channel across the element and leave till red hot. let them cool and then locate something tubular and fairly hard, to use as a form for your wheel. On these wheels I used an empty Sig dope bottle .Wrap the channel around the form and mark where the ends over lap. slip it off the form and use a dremel or a mini hack same to trip off the excess. now wrap a piece of soft wire around the rim and twist it's ends until the ends of your rim are drawn together. Clean the inside of the channel where the ends meet  and solder them together. (I added a small brass plate at the joint for more strength.)
   Now layout a circle the inside diameter of your wheel on a piece paper. use a compass to lay out your spoke pattern.
set your rim over it and mark the spoke locations onto the side of the rim. it is the easy to mark them onto the inside of the rim. Take a #70 or75 drill bit and drill all the hole into the rim. Trumpeter now make a rechargable variable hand drill for small bits and it is a real job/time saver.
  The hubs are made from alum. tubing and bits of and old credit card. In my case the axle was !/16 music wire. 3/32 tubing slips over that easily. I took a piece of 3/32 tube about 5/8" long and a piece of 1/8" tube about 1/4 long . Slipped the 1/8 over the 3/32 and hit with a dab of ca.
  Next I cut two discs out of a credit card, marked the center& then held it over the spoke layout & marked it with every other spoke . you need two of these. Drill the center #3/32 and slip the onto the hub assembly and glue.
  Make sure you drill all the holes in the rim and in the hub.
make a jig to keep the hub and rim in line and centered . This  jig is covered on this site and is easy to see on Dare models site, so I'm not going to describe it.
  Take some .015 music wire and start cutting pieces a tad longer than the distance from the hub to the rim. Make a small 1/8"long L bend in one end of the spoke. poke  the spoke into the rim and drop the L shaped hook into the hub.Skip one hole on the rim and then take another spoke and hook into the hub again. Hit with a spot of med. ca If the spoke sticks above the rim ,then trim it back a tad.Go all the way around and then flip and do the other side. Tires are black rubber tubing from an auto supply store. If you want a really strong wheel for R/C then make the hub from brass and solder everything. My calculator tells me that a 3 3/4" wheel is the
max. with K&S channel.Wish I could send pics , much clearer.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 7:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

We have a couple boards that have info in shrinking your pictures for 400KB size for posting:Click Here
  We also have a few tutorials on making spoked wheels here in the How To Tips and Tricks Articles: Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Aug 31st, 2019 at 2:37pm

43mauser   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Ponoka

This is how i have made spoked wheels in the past. I am making the current set for a Taube. I am starting to build.
Sorry guys, having troubles uploading pics, we will keep trying. or I can text pics and how to. To someone that knows how to put them on the site. i can send by text.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print