Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sliced Ribs how to make a template and ribs (Read 50 times)
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 3:24pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's a look at a pile of ribs cut in a matter of minutes with this construction template for sliced ribs...
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2019 at 8:48pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sep 4th, 2019 at 3:15pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

This was a part of the Dornier Do 335 B8 "Any Twin Cookup"  I've consolidated it into this tutorial. 

Sliced ribs are often used to make a lighter wing  using one or two spars running from the root to the tip of the wing panels. 

Here's a Clark "Y" airfoil I used for the construction of the wing for the Dornier Do 335 B8 night fighter prototype...

Some fellas use thin aluminum sheet, I'm using the wide tongue depressors/craft stick I found at Michael's Craft Store.  The stick was wide and long enough for the needed airfoil.  You want the template to be hard enough to run your hobby knife against without deforming it while cutting the ribs.
Once you've determined the length of the rib you need you'll need to size a rib to the actual size you need.  I usually copy/trace the wing root rib from the fuselage side view on the plan making the rib the size I need.  This is then stuck on the template material (wood,plastic,aluminum etc.) and the shape is cut out on the rib upper edge. 

I then cut out balsa sheet in the necessary length for the rib and cut the first rib cut to get the template to fit the rib curvature.
BE SURE TO ANCHOR THE BALSA THAT THE SLICED RIBS WILL BE CUT FROM SO THE TEMPLATE DOESN'T SLIDE OR SLIP WHILE CUTTING!!!

I used two pieces of tongue depressor/hobby sticks to make the template.  You see a top piece with the shape of the rib and a bottom piece with the same shape only set back 1/16" or 3/32" determining the desired width of the rib...(mine was 1/16") I believe for the large wing span model being constructed.
1. Picture number one showing the top of the template.
2. Second picture shows the bottom of the template.
3. Shows the edge of the template
4. Shows making the first cut at the bottom of the strip of balsa to fit the template for proper rib curvature. 
5. I made the first cut inaccurately so for the first cut I recommend flipping the template over and cutting along the top edge adjusting the template for a nice square to the front and rear edges for the next cuts.
6. Here's the the wing construction in progress...trim the rib from the trailing edge to fit the contour of the wing shape.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2019 at 11:15pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print