Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ready to build again (and finish it this time)! (Read 62 times)
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 11:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Start your build thread on the the Current Rubber Powered Builds section, just start a new topic.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:14pm

Dan   Offline

Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

I have had a look at the Chipmunk kit. The fuselage should be much easier to assemble than I thought it would be. Only the wing dihedral and that canopy really worry me now. After picking up a few more tools, I should be ready to start building this weekend!

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 6:01pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The Chipmunk should be a good low wing model.  Just make sure you have dihedral at the wingtips at or just below the bottom edge of the canopy.  I also recommend some washout at the trailing edge of the wingtips.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:56pm

Dan   Offline

Detroit Metro

pb_guy wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 11:41am:
If you haven't yet bought one, and you are eager to get going, pick up a Guillows Javelin or Arrow or similar model. You need to get something easy under your belt before attacking a Spitfire or biplane. At least start with a high wing model.

Dangit...of course, I read that advice after I picked up a Guillows de Havilland Chipmunk! However, unless it looks like it will be more aggravating than changing the fuel control on a T-58A, I will just build the Chipmunk. The intricacies of the Spitfire were something I was already well aware of.

I was planning on using regular ol' Elmer's glue. Building boards and magnets are things I'll have to do some research on.

And thanks to Sky9pilot for the tutorials. I had seen the first, but not the second. I will be referring to both frequently!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 3:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ian has given you good advice.  I would suggest reviewing a couple tutorials as well: Click Here

And here's another one: Click Here
Welcome to S&T  we look forward to your build...questions??? just ask and you'll find more answers than you'll know what to do with. Grin Wink
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 11:41am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Welcome Dan. If you haven't yet bought one, and you are eager to get going, pick up a Guillows Javelin or Arrow or similar model. You need to get something easy under your belt before attacking a Spitfire or biplane. At least start with a high wing model. Get some advice before you start gluing things together. You need to know about glues and building boards and pins versus magnets.

ian

IP Logged

Sep 6th, 2019 at 6:28am

Dan   Offline

Detroit Metro

Greetings to all!

10-12 years ago, I picked up a couple of stick-and-tissue models. None got beyond gluing a few parts together. Both were misplaced a move. Last year, however, I picked up a couple of plastic models at fire-sale prices. I told a co-worker about this, and he mentioned building stick-and-tissue models as a kid. I did a little digging around on the subject, but that was as far as I got.

Over Labor Day weekend, I decided I would get my Airframe and Powerplant certificate current again. With the desire to re-immerse myself in all things aviation, I decided why not build a stick and tissue model again?And here I am!

After work today, I will be stopping at a local hobby shop and picking up a new kit. Don't know what I'll get yet, and wasn't able to ask for advice, as my registration didn't get approved early enough. I know I will have a lot of questions along the way, and I'm looking forward to starting the new build!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print