HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Fisher P-75 Eagle (Read 3223 times)
Reply #49 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 7:57pm

Dan   Offline
Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

The Eagle looks great! Hopefully it'll fly great with that prop on it, too.

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 3:59pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

The pace is picking up a bit. Pretty much down to the fiddly bits and overall clean up.

Prop is another Comet type. 1/32" blades, card stock spinner with a balsa nose tip. Can't thank Neal enough for alerting us to this prop method, neat way of getting a semi-scale looking thing that might actually work!!

The strips covering the wing panel joints are card stock simulating how the actual airplane looked. Not sure what they are, perhaps reinforcing straps.

p75_build_10.jpg (24 KB | 31 )
p75_build_10.jpg
p75_build_11.jpg (32 KB | 33 )
p75_build_11.jpg
p75_build_12.jpg (28 KB | 19 )
p75_build_12.jpg
p75_build_13.jpg (27 KB | 32 )
p75_build_13.jpg
p75_build_14.jpg (26 KB | 22 )
p75_build_14.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 7:34am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Horse thing or not, your tissue work is outstanding and the color came out beautifully. Well done.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 6:41am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I never thought much about the 'starved horse' look until reading about it here. All of my models from the past have it. In retrospect, had I known, I would have done things differently.

My comment about the P-75 formers was more of wry chagrin than anything else! I was surprised to have missed those formers.

I don't have much success with trying to apply tissue to entire fuselages, especially ones like the P-75 with considerable compound curves. I'll usually cover in sections, and because of that, I need something to anchor the tissue to between the stringers. If I scalloped out the formers to avoid the horse thing, I would also remove that tissue foundation. Hence my sanding flush rather than scalloping.

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 10:17pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well I think it looks great, "starved horse" or not.  Might consider more stringers next time....  We've talked about the "starved horse" thing a few times...maybe the "Courtney" approach over the entire fuselage length could also eliminate the "problem."  On the other hand, if one looks at a full-sized ac...not only are the bulkheads not protruding...neither are the stringers.  For me...it's a model...and a mighty fine looking one at that.  The finish you've applied really sets it off...like a classy woman in a mink coat. Smiley

I watched a video on Youtube of a P-75 being moved to another building at Wright Pat...being towed down a road...very slowly.  That is one large aircraft!  It's really great that someone thought enough of the design to preserve at least one example for posterity.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 9:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Lots of the fellas will use a round sanding stick to sand between the stringers making the fuselage formers below the stringers.  This leaves just the stringers showing.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 6:43pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Something really bugged me about the fuselage. The occasional 'starved horse' former showing through. I thought I had sanded the fuselage thoroughly to prevent this. Apparently not well enough. Better luck next time!

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 6:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding job AK...beautiful craftsmanship! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 5:05pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Thanks, Neal! Got a little more done today. Some concerns about this star scheme: where to find it, how to print it, what about colors not being waterproof, what adhesive to use, etc.

1. First I did a search for WW2 nose art to get the general idea. I found a XP-47H plastic model that someone built with stars on the nose. Also found a plastic model decal sheet with the small stars that I wanted.

2. Model was airbrushed with a semi-gloss silver to cover the too shiny initial paint.

3. I cropped the star field from the decal sheet and then made copies of that to build a larger star field. Then used a paint program to add the red stripe. Printed that off on printer paper to test fit.

4. One the fitting was done, then I printed the star scheme on a HP ink jet using regular white tissue.

5. Normally I would glue tissue down with thinned Aleens but the colors would all run together, so I decided to use an Elmers glue stick instead.

6. The printer did a good job using 'standard' setting.

7. The star tissue was large enough to let me cover almost half the nose at once, then doing the same on the other side leaving a small area on the bottom.

8. I began by gluing the anti-glare OD tissue using Aleens along the top longeron in front to the canopy area. Then I glued the blue star tissue along the OD tissue. Using the stringers as a guide, I glued the star tissue one stringer panel at a time, carefully smoothing the tissue down as I went.

9. Same for the turtleback area behind the canopy, done in halves using the top longeron as a guide.

10. Ended up being easier than I thought.

p23_build_9a.jpg (41 KB | 19 )
p23_build_9a.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 4:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

The mysterious fortune teller peered deep into Captain Kilo's eyes saying, "I see it in the stars...."  Alf, Alf...wake up! Snap out of it!

Tell me about the stars...is that printed tissue?  How'd you do that on deep blue colored tissue?  Outstanding!  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 12:23pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Still working on the color scheme. Wanted to use Diamond Lil but its details get lost when scaling the image down. May have to go with something simpler.

p23_build_8.jpg (25 KB | 29 )
p23_build_8.jpg
di_lil_2.jpg (6 KB | 27 )
di_lil_2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 8:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

What's the old saying..."Where there's a will, there's a way"  I bet someone trade time/duties for painting the aircraft!

Can't remember just where it was on Youtube or a documentary, that once a guy's skill for this was discovered, he was kept pretty busy by the whole squadron...

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 4:53pm

Dan   Offline
Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

Alfakilo: I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere, some time ago, that those artists were personnel within each squadron. How they found the time to come up with and execute those paint schemes is a little less clear...

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 1:58pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I've always wondered who the artist/painters were in these WW2 units who had the time and wherewithal to come up with these paint schemes.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 10:52am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Been looking at the Republic XP-72 and found these renderings, very similar to yours...

xp7201.jpg (88 KB | 16 )
xp7201.jpg
xp7206.jpg (88 KB | 22 )
xp7206.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print