Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good first scratchbuild project (Read 163 times)
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 6:52pm

Dan   Offline
Navy veteran and A&P holder
Detroit Metro

While the Champion hasn't required any parts replacement yet, the Chipmunk certainly has. The only sheet parts I definitely won't be building are the wing tips and the fuselage sides. Whipping up my own plans isn't something I'm ready for yet, and that will probably be the case for a while.

Guillow's kits have been hit-and-miss for me, and their subject matter is (perhaps necessarily) a bit limited. However, after building one more Guillow's kit and one from our own Kittyfritters, I'll be ready for a 100% scratchbuilt project.

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 9:13am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

It sounds to me that your experiences with the Chipmunk and Champion have been an excellent lead in to the fun of scratchbuilding! You've had to deal with repairing or replacing existing parts which is basically a task that replicates what we do in scratchbuilding.

Two types of scratchbuilding...one is to build a from an existing plan, and the other is to build from a plan that you make (because one doesn't exist). My X-1 is an example of the former, and the P-75 is an example of the latter. In either case, this isn't particularly hard to do and really adds to the fun factor (it's easy to get tired of building Guillows kits!!).

In scale building, size can be an issue since some details become more difficult to do as size decreases. I find that while Peanut sized models go together quickly, sometimes the scale parts are a challenge to make. Because of that, I may go with a larger model, something in the 15" - 24" wingspan. And the larger models tend to fly better too (smaller models end up heavy).

On a different note, when I started the P-75 idea, I printed off the three view and took that to the local UPS Store to have them them blow it up and print it. They had some difficulties doing that. I noticed that they had a computer  logged on to the internet. After a few questions, I found that I could print any pdf file that I could find (Tom's plans are pdfs). Just another way of getting a paper copy of something to build.

And finally, it's easy to make a pdf file of a jpg picture, so I was able to make a P-75 three view picture into a pdf file.

xp-75a_3.pdf (125 KB | 7 )
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 5:55pm

Dan   Offline
Detroit Metro

The F-86 is one of my favorite turbine-engine, fixed-wing aircraft. While the turbine engine allows increased speed and higher altitude capabilities, piston engines --especially radials--sound much better to me.

Returning to topic, I hope to be starting on an Island Flyer by the end of next month.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 12:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Yes it is Dan.  I modified thee old Veron plans for the rapier/jetex motors, to a more accurate wing sweep.  Here's the link to the build in Current Builds section on page 14 or 15 or so, Veron Plans for F-86A :Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Dan   Offline
Detroit Metro

The balsa stripper will be handy to have. I am fortunate in that I have a great local hobby shop (Prop Shop Hobbies in Warren, MI). When I visit them on Friday, I'll see if they have the Master Airscrew balsa stripper.

Edit: Tom, is that an F-86 in the picture you posted?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 6:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A balsa stripper is for making stringers 1/16" sq or 3/32" sq or any variation you need. There are several versions but a very inexpensive one is the Master Airscrew balsa stripper.  I often make 1/32" X 1/16" for the round style fuselages where more thinner stringers make a rounder fuselage.  I've been using them for quite some time now since I first saw their use in the Koutny Cookup on HPA. 

Here's a link to a video of a fellow using two strippers, the first being the Master Airscrew: Click Here
If you have a hobby shop near by they usually carry these strippers.  You can also get them through Walmart online.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 5:23pm

Dan   Offline
Detroit Metro

Which portions of the model would require use of a balsa stripper? The Island Flyer is a project I intend to get to in the not-too-distant future; I just want to finish two or three kits first.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 12:06pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A good balsa stripper can really help here.  Check out the "Jigs, gadgets, tools..." section for strippers and how to make the Master Stripper better. Click Here
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 7:50am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

The Island Flyer looks like a great flyer and think I should have one, a bit later. A great suggestion for a first scratch build but think Dan or anyone that is starting this project should probably buy some 3/32 square strips since stripping that thickness with the #11 may not bring the results you want. The wood should to be square on all sides if the fuselage is to be successful.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 8:13pm

Dan   Offline
Detroit Metro

Looks as if the Island Flyer wouldn't be too challenging. After I get a few kits finished, I'll give it a go. Or maybe I'll just pick up some 3/32" on Friday; my Chipmunk project is teaching me a few things about scratchbuilding. Thanks for the suggestion!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 1:54am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The Island Flyer would be a good first scratch build.  Designed by Clive Wienker.  Click Here for plan download
I recommend printing out the plan and taping it together, or putting it on a thumb drive and taking it to have it printed out full size at a copy store.  You might want to print two (2) so you can cut up one plan to make templates for parts to make your own kit.  Cut out all the parts and mark them and then build like you're building a kit.  Here's a picture of mine built several years ago.  It was a good flyer after it was trimmed out.

IP Logged

Sep 22nd, 2019 at 3:16pm

Dan   Offline
Detroit Metro

I'd like to try my hand at scratchbuilding a model sooner or later. My preference would be a small scale aircraft, but I'm not averse to sport models or those with up to about a 20" fuselage length and 24" wingspan. Could anyone suggest a good first scratchbuild project, or at least help me identify the characteristics of one?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print