Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ANGLE MAKER FOR ADDING MORE DIHEDRAL (Read 127 times)
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 12:06pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Tom - Thanks for the picture and your description made complete sense. I put a block under the wing tip to get the correct angle and sanded the spar angle on the edge of my building board.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Sep 28th, 2019 at 11:45am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

So you built your wing but it doesn't have enough dihedral.  If your original wing had a center section you can use this tool to mark new angles on the spars for adjustment.  If your  wing only had one dihedral break it will still work you just mark the angle on each panel. 

Here's a low tech process if you're wondering how to set the angle... take a strip of cardboard etc. the length of the outer panel and pin it to some balsa you can pin to the board.  Raise one end to the desired dihedral and jig it in place so you can take a 90* angle and mark the lower end with a vertical line. Once this has been done you'll have the angle you need to sand the spars to.  Just cut the vertical line (now at the proper angle) chop off the unnecessary length and you have a template you can use by flipping it over and use to measure the line on each spar of the center section on each side.  Hope this makes sense. Here's a quick and dirty illustration that hopefully show what I've written.  If you flip the strip of cardboard (etc.) top edge to bottom edge you'll have the angel for the center spars. Mark each side and sand to mark.

(28 KB | 26 )
angle_tool_001.JPG

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print