Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comet Amco Catalog (Read 188 times)
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 9:28am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Some great flyers and all-around good guys in that club including George Bredehoft of Volare Products.  Have fun!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:34am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Mike - Thank you for your reply and it is along the lines I was thinking originally except for the participation part. The closest FAC club to me at least for now, is the Cloudbusters in Michigan. They fly in a double wide indoor soccer field in Pontiac, Michigan and every Thursday afternoon. They also host a meet once a year and it is a big event. I'll pay my dues (a whopping $16.00 a year) and see how it goes. May not get there every Thursday as it is a cross border trip but my wife likes shopping in Michigan so something for all. Thank you again for your help.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:11am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

A Kanone is awarded to the winner of each specific event held at a FAC event, as long as there were at least three qualified participants.  The events and qualifying requirements are spelled out in the FAC rulebook (available on the FAC site).  The larger FAC contests typically have more than a dozen events (judged and timed scale events, non-judged total of three flight scale and duration events, mass launch events, etc) with Kanones awarded for each one as long as at least the participation requirements is met.  The individual who wins the most events at a meet gets bragging rights as the meet's grand champion.

That was a lot of words to say that a Kanone is really just the FAC's way of recognizing the flyer who comes out on top among a group of folks flying in a single event.

Hope that helps...

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 9:54am

New Builder   Offline

Mike - Thank you again for the link to the Kappa Kollectors site and have been busy reading my way through them. In reading and navigating the FAC web site, I have become interested in the Kanones. Having read through "what in the Sam Hill is a Kanone?, it gave an understanding of what a Kanone rank is but fell short of just what a Kanone really is, a contest winner and then in a specific category? Hope you can give me some insight. Thank you in advance for your help.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 10:49am

New Builder   Offline

Mike - Thank you for your reply and the link to the Kapa. I too enjoy reading about the history of these model airplane companies. The only one I have any memory of is Comet since the small country town in the Midwest I grew up in only carried Comet and then only the kits, no glue, no dope (didn't even know what that was back then). Remember banana oil sometime way back and thought how strange that was.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 8:25am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Morning Mike, I missed your post when scanning through the forum over the weekend.  The KAPA Collector newsletters on the FAC website are my go-to when something like this piques my interest.  Issue 1 http://www.flyingacesclub.com/KAPA/ISSUE1.pdf has an article on Comet that says Comet set up American Modelcraft Co. (AMCO) in 1936 as a new division focusing on 10-cent and 25-cent flyable scale models.  There's more detail and chronology in the article.

I enjoy reading the histories of the model companies in these newsletters - amazing how folks like Megow started building kits for friends in their basements and grew to produce and sell millions of kits per year.  I guess today's equivalent would be basement-dwelling app developers...

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 7:08am

New Builder   Offline

Does anybody ever read these posts?

IP Logged

Oct 10th, 2019 at 8:05am

New Builder   Offline

Was browsing through the Comet catalogs and the 1940 catalog is titled "Comet Amco Catalog". Can anyone tell me, and others, who or what Amco is and how did they get into the Comet company.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print