Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite Paint Program? (Read 87 times)
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:22am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

A nice feature of Paint Shop Pro is that an image can be easily saved to any format, for example changing a bmp file to a jpg.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:46am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Ian and AK - Thank you for your input and thoughts and I have downloaded a copy of Inpaint and am working my way through some of the relevant tutorials. One of my first problems was that when I find something of interest, I grab a copy and park it in a Word doc so now I need to go online and convert it to a .jpg file. My other problem is that editing programs operate in a subtractive methodology and I was hoping for an ability to grab an element and extract it. What I learned in CAD programs is, it doesn't obey me, I obey it. Again, thank you both for your inputs and the learning goes on.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:00pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

There are probably better programs out there but I'm happy with these.

I use ScreenHunter 7 for screenshots. I edit the screenshots with Paint Shop Pro 5 and 9. I paste the edited screenshots into a word program called Libre Office that allows me to easily adjust the size of the image to what I need. I then print the tissue decal from that document.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 5:31pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

For removing background stuff, you  can try Inpaint online  here: https://online.theinpaint.com/
For a free paint program, I use several, including Gimp, the original MSPaint for XP (not that atrocious thing they replaced it with) available here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/microsoft-paint/
and paint.net available here: https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

ian

IP Logged

Nov 3rd, 2019 at 9:36am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

My question is an offshoot of the reply in Tissue Markings request below. While I can us MS Word to capture simple markings as the Star and Bar and Roundels from decal web sites, there are some needs for more robust image capture and edit software, specifically, the graphics on individual airplanes that I want to model. These graphics are always cluttered with background elements, paint color, etc. My need is to be able to capture the distinct element, remove the background and any other intruding elements and move it to some other software to enlarge or reduce and print on tissue. So having said all that, I need recommendations for software that will do the task I need to accomplish understanding that there are other features in many software packages for photo editing etc. that I don't have any need but understand it usually comes along with the package. so, thank you all in advance for your input.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print