Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windindicator Bostonian-to-Embryo conversion (Read 670 times)
Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 7:46am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks Bob!  It's good to see you back on the forum.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 1:49am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Another beautiful job Mike. Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 12:27pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

New Builder wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 8:49am:
Really glad you were able to rescue the plane.
Mike

Me too!  Thanks guys - I love most of my builds, but it's been a while since building and flying a model gave me this much pure joy.  I grin every time I look at this one.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 8:49am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Beautiful plane, great flights, who could ask for more. Really glad you were able to rescue the plane.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 7:41am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Another great example of what we all hope to achieve someday!!

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 12:34am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You better watch out for "Hung"!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 9:00pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys!  Weather this morning was beautiful so the Windindicator got some wind under its wings.  Trimming went well - almost too well...  Video at: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzhVmsinMM&feature=youtu.be

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 9:02am

New Builder   Offline

Beautiful work and I too appreciate the Canadian colors.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 5:59pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That looks great! Thanks for doing it in my country's colours. I might have to build one some day.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 5:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

She has really come alive!!!  WoW...now I have to add another plane to my "ToDo" list! Grin Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 5:55pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Wrapped up the Windindicator build today.  Ended up not using the molded canopy since the model was getting nose-heavy and I could save over a gram up front doing the canopy with sheet plastic as shown on the plan.  Weight without motor is just under 17g with the cg just in front of the spar.  May have to put a bit of tail weight on it, we'll see once I get a motor in it. 

Love how the color scheme came out, and how it looks with the big tires.  Puts a smile on my face just sitting there, can't wait to see it in the air.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 8:06am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks Mike and Tom.  My printer (Epson 7710) does 11x17, so that's my typical tissue printout.  The tissue doesn't need to go edge-to-edge on the carrier sheet, but my shrinking frame needs at least a 9x17 piece of tissue.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:40am

New Builder   Offline

Wow indeed. Truly great work and that bubble canopy really makes this airplane pop. The tissue looks to be a bit bigger than the usual 8-1/2 x 11 format, maybe legal size. I'm coming up on that need soon with the Fang fuselage tissue and the Culver Dart wing with a fairly difficult curve at the wing tip.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:39pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW Mike...your printed tissue looks fantastic.  That white cheat line in the flash really pops.  Shouldn't have any trouble finding this one in the tall grass!  She's a real beauty...as the old Pepsi comercial said..."Simply Maaavelos!"
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:01pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Been working on covering the Windindicator this week.  I was going to do a Vietnam-era VF-33 scheme as that was mentioned in the magazine article's backstory, but I saw on Swan Island Replications that James Longstreth had already done that one (see pic, looks great).  Looking at the nose of the model made me think about the Canadian SAR Buffalos, and that scheme just seemed perfect, so off I went.

The graphics are printed on some old yellow tissue from a Herr Cub kit. I used a white gel pen to color the white line in the fuselage flash - sprayed a test piece with Krylon clear first to ensure the gel ink wouldn't bleed.  For the insignia that needed a white background I'm trying something new, 16lb HP "Ecoffecient" lightweight printer paper.  Quite a bit thinner than typical inkjet paper, but still nicely opaque.  Tissue has gone on well.  The model gets a stringer down the center of the upper fuselage after the wing has been installed - that's in and I'll get the top tissue on tonight.

Although the plan has a simple sheet plastic windscreen I decided to plunge-mold a sort-of bubble canopy, so I carved a mold, got a good pull on my second try and trimmed up the resulting canopy.  I did this mostly because I thought it would add some unique character to the model, but also because it'll allow the model to qualify for some bonus points in FAC Embryo.

Should be able to shoot some Krylon on the model tomorrow afternoon (supposed to get back up to 60 after 3 days of 30-40 deg with rain).  I still have to sand out the fiberglass and resin on the prop, paint that, frame the canopy, rig the tail surfaces and put on some wheels.  Am thinking about turning some tundra tires from lightweight black foam...

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print