Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print
New Winter Cookup 2019-2020 (Read 9321 times)
Reply #355 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 2:14pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Dan, I just noticed the exhaust protruding from the cowl. Nice job.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #354 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 11:44am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Very nice and the canopy is every bit as good looking as a plastic one (and easier to make!).

IP Logged

Reply #353 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 11:41am

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Looks great Dan - I was wondering how you were going to do the aft canopy.  Very simple and effective.  Good luck with the flights - post some video if your cameraman is available.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #352 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Dan...she's a real beauty.  Your canopy is fantastic!!!!  Does honor to the original intent!!! Looks great too!!!  As far as antenna staff you might want to try some thin acetate like shrink wrap etc.  It can be glued in place with canopy glue or cyanoacralate and will remain flexible to avoid hanger rash and possible hard landings.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #351 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:13pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

All,

Got the canopy done, touched up the landing gear etc. and added the antenna.  The canopy frames are just painted Tamiya yellow tape.  It can go around curves pretty well.

All we need now is the prop and thrust button and she'll be done!

Cheers,
Dan

IMG_4963.JPG (135 KB | 6 )
IMG_4963.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG (136 KB | 4 )
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG (120 KB | 6 )
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG (140 KB | 6 )
IMG_4966.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #350 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've been working on the Comet today.  I didn't like the nose and decided that the rear of the fuselage is too narrow for a pusher prop.  So I redesigned the nose and will be making a clear plastic prop from a peanut butter jar.  I'll rig an adjustable thrust on the backside of the noseplug to adjust thrust with an aluminum plate and screw.  I like the new much better and will have pictures tomorrow after the putty has setup and been sanded. 

IP Logged

Reply #349 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 4:04pm

OS   Offline

Mike, that's an excellent stab adjustment setup and awesome work. So excited to see this plane coming together.

OS

IP Logged

Reply #348 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:37pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Sky9pilot wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:53pm:
Mike...that nut looks very thin.  What's your source for them?

I bought these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EEZQBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?...

Amazon also now has these, which are smaller and cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/B18-6-3-Stainless-Machine-Thread-Across/dp/B000FMW43Y/ref...

I ordered nylon and stainless 0-80 bolts from Amazon as well.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #347 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike...that nut looks very thin.  What's your source for them?

IP Logged

Reply #346 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:34am

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Tom,

That is an 0-80 stainless nut - weighs about .07g but has proven much more durable than CA-soaked balsa threads.  The screw gets a thin plastic washer on the underside of the stab as a keeper to hold the stab up against the head of the screw.  Will try to remember to take and post a pic after covering and before final assembly.

Dan, 8g covered isn't bad at all!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #345 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:09am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Dan...your Kingfisher is looking super.  I love the tween the wars scheme and you've done the model in a fantastic manner, true to the era of the plan/kit!   Smiley

Mike...is that a nut glued into the tail of the Broussard for the nylon screw to anchor into and adjust the incidence of the horizontal stab.  How do you fix the screw and allow it to turn in the stab?  Great stuff that I'm looking to add to my next model.

IP Logged

Reply #344 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:56pm

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Looking sharp one and all!  As for me, I'm cheating and building the Kingfisher like an old model such as just slapping a flat nose shot of the engine into the cowling... Roll Eyes  But it still looks pretty cool.

I got the landing gear on, the rest of the markings etc. and exhausts.  Now I need to detail paint all those purple parts (those are Q-tip handles) etc. and finally add the paper cockpit glazing.  The last thing will be the prop assembly and the radio mast.  Done soon!  It's just about 8 gms. as shown.  Hopefully it won't get much heavier!

Cheers and keep on building...Dan

IMG_4960.JPG (141 KB | 5 )
IMG_4960.JPG
IMG_4961.JPG (137 KB | 4 )
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG (135 KB | 5 )
IMG_4962.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #343 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 8:24pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Sky9pilot wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:41pm:
Mike...looks like you mounted the wing to the fuselage with those stringers on the top of the fuselage.  Upon closer examination it looks like you can slip the wing under those stringers.  Smiley Smiley

Thanks Tom - actually what I've done is tacked the wing in place and doubled up the former at the rear of the wing so I can cut the stringers at the TE, remove the wing, cover it and the fuselage separately, then re-assemble and hide the joint with a narrow strip of white tissue.  I wanted to avoid covering the center section (which is white) after the wing panels (which are dark blue on the flaps and LE and would show through the white tissue).

Today I rigged the stab adjuster and fixed the A-pillars (compare to this morning's photos).  Looking at photos of the Broussard, the forward pillars at the side of the cockpit should sweep back at the same angle as the center pillar, and meet the wing a bit behind the LE - the windshield only curves in one direction and gives the Broussard a unique look on the front end.  Once this dries hard I'll take some soft balsa and form a wraparound lip for the top of the windshield.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #342 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Boy, the craftsmanship on display here has been outstanding.  I'm learning new things every day.  Love the landing gear on both Craig's and Mike's models!!!
Mike...looks like you mounted the wing to the fuselage with those stringers on the top of the fuselage.  Upon closer examination it looks like you can slip the wing under those stringers.  A real group of master craftsmen on display!!! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #341 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:47pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Craig, beautiful landing gear work! WOW! Smiley

Mike, it looks like this airplane will fly off the board.  Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged