Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diels Brewster SB2A-1 Buccaneer Build (Read 260 times)
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 1:43am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, I had never seen these photos and the one with no canopy does look interesting.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 12:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I agree, she's a good looker with just the single canopy.  I look forward to following this build Mike!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Nov 23rd, 2019 at 2:16pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Been wanting to do another peanut.  I placed an order with Diels Engineering earlier this month and added his peanut plan for the SB2A-2 Buccaneer to the cart.  While looking through the Naval Fighters SB2A book I saw that the prototype was rebuilt and flown as a single-seater and have decided to build that version. 

Originally designed to have a rear gun turret, the prototype came in overweight and Brewster petitioned the Navy to switch to a flexible gun mount in a rear-facing cockpit.  To get flight data while the aircraft was being redesigned, Brewster rebuilt the prototype with the turret area faired over and delivered it to the Navy for flight testing.  Production Buccaneers (and Bermudas) had a long greenhouse rear canopy.  I think the single-seat version looks kinda neat, with a sort of mid-wing P-47 vibe from some angles.

No rear cockpit and canopy should make the build simpler and the airframe lighter and cleaner.

Got the ball rolling today by laminating outlines for the flying surfaces.

Mike

(57 KB | 23 )
Brewster_SB2A-1.jpg
(332 KB | 35 )
1123_Laminating_Outlines.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print