Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Back to my roots...a Comet Models Spad VII (Read 1434 times)
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 1:19pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

First serious cosmetic modification...the nose bulkhead on Comet's SPAD is too narrow, shape is all wrong. Fuselage sides do NOT pinch inward at station No. 1.  Radiator opening is round while the overall bulkhead shape is nearly square (with rounded corners)...see here, Rick is saying, "Round!"  Thanks, Rick!

We can allow the rest of those formers to be Comet-designed...but for the proper SPAD aesthetics...got to have the right nose.

Need to sand and "fill" a bit...but lookin' good.

Note the tail of a Hanover CL type aircraft behind Rick's SPAD...forced down over the "aerodrome" by Rick and Douglas Campbell (I think) and used thereafter as a 94th squadron "hack."

Neal

P1190155.jpg (107 KB | 3 )
P1190155.jpg
round.jpg (82 KB | 3 )
round.jpg
spadcomet_nose.jpg (116 KB | 3 )
spadcomet_nose.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 10:59pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

After I finish the SB2C I would be ready to build the D VIII.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 10:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Bob!  I've been meaning to build Guillows D8 myself...let me know when and we'll build it together...if you'd like. Smiley

Like your choice of Helldiver as well!

Got the stringers mated up with the fuselage.  This model seems smaller than I recall...could I have been smaller then as well?  Roll Eyes Grin Grin

P1190154.jpg (104 KB | 3 )
P1190154.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 9:08pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I have the Guillow Fokker D VIII plan to build some day.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10757

Nice job on the Spad fuselage.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 7:33pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

We now have a basic fuselage...sorta...need some stringers, etc.  Easy goin'...hardly scale...but she's cute.  Wink 

When I was a kid, Guillows came out with their SPAD VII...'bout '57...that was a real eye-popper for me...a plastic prop...scale plastic wheels...water-transfer decals...wow!  And it was even reasonably scale!  On the other hand, the Guillows kit was literally FIVE TIMES the cost of the Comet kit!  That resulted in some serious choices on my part.  Grin Grin Grin Shocked  It was only many years later that I realized newly-cultivated skills could compensate...then it was back to those Comet kits.  Smiley

In fact...here's Comet's final iteration of their SPAD...a 12.5"ws model that required a bit of altering to make it look right...but NOT flyable...decorated with the Stork of SPA 3.  Comet originally marketed their SPAD as a 12.5 inch model for 25cents...but within a couple of years had increased its size to 16"ws and lowered the retail price to 10cents.  That's the kit they stayed with for many years...up into the '70's when they went back to the smaller version (different plan)...for a ridiculous new cost.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 12:45pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

That's great, Huey!  Nice to know there are Hispano-Suizas still around...was a great engine for its time...very dependable even before The Great War!  Swiss designed...Spanish manufactured...adaptable!  Used in MANY aircraft types during the war...including the SE5a!

Oh...and Kermit Weeks is a local gentleman...from SLC.  Smiley  Love his videos! Wink

Well...we're underway here at S.P.A.D. Utah.  Cool  You'll note that the Comet plan and the 3-view have some distinct differences...not worth worrying about because we're constructing the Comet model...and not necessarily the 3-view.  Wink

Incidentally, Georges Guynemer was practically canonized when he was alive...and especially after his death.  His surviving SPAD VII is essentially a religious icon of French aviation!  They would NOT so much as alter its fabric even for repairs...until 1981 when it was finally completely renovated!  I'm certain the original fabric is preserved in a "cathedral" somewhere in France to this day!

Neal

Guynemers_VII.jpg (80 KB | 3 )
Guynemers_VII.jpg
Kit_A_25.jpg (123 KB | 3 )
Kit_A_25.jpg
spad-vii-2.jpg (101 KB | 3 )
spad-vii-2.jpg
P1190150.jpg (104 KB | 3 )
P1190150.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 6:31am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Neal, there’s a VII being built 20mi from me. He’s putting an original engine in it. Fred’s known for building perfect replicas. He built a D-VII for Kermit Weeks.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:51pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

More trivia for the SPAD purist....

The French had some interesting concepts of how to activate the ailerons on their aircraft...somewhat opposed to the generally accepted method of cables and pulleys.  They seem to have preferred using control rods and bell cranks.  Nieuport aircraft located their push rods and cranks in the fuselage and upper wing center section (with the exception of the 28...which had its ailerons in the lower wings only).  SPAD's control cranks were located at the base of the outer-lower inter-plane strut, as is illustrated in these photos of Guynemer's VII and Rickenbacker's XIII.  I've never tried to model this much detail...so I suppose I'm not that much of a purist.  Grin

Note the captured Fokker D-VII in the background of Rick's photo.  I believe that ac is at the Smithsonian today.  Also note that both of Rick's ailerons have a bit of downward incidence at the trailing edge...interesting trim.

Here's my SPAD...what's on my plate...doesn't look like much.  Just mix in some 1/16" strip stock, etc., and it'll turn into a SPAD model, or so Comet told me.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 11:23am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Speaking of Jim Walker...I had a Jim Walker U-Reely control handle...absolutely great device for u-control!

While I'm mobilizing (cutting out what minimal parts there are) for this build...a bit of trivia about the SPAD fighter aircraft.  Have you ever wondered about the difference between the VII and the XIII?  Well...not much...at least superficially.

The VII entered front line service in 1916 and was an immediate hit with the French Air Service.  It was a strong and stable gun platform with an outstanding turn of speed.  Though not as maneuverable as the venerable Nieuports...it was far more dependable from a structural standpoint.  It served on all fronts of the war including Russia...120mph, 17,000' service ceiling, 2 hour endurance.

The VII worked its way into the XIII, primarily through various stages of increased power plant output...from a 140hp Hispano-Suiza V-8 engine to an ultimate power output of 235hp Hispano-Suiza V-8, 140mph, 21,000' service ceiling, 2 hour endurance...and even more importantly, from a single .303 Vickers machine gun to twin Vickers of the same caliber.

I've posted two photos...one of Geo. Guynemer's VII and the other of Rickenbacker's XIII...two very famous aircraft.  Note the VII's single Vickers and the twin Vickers of the XIII.  Also note the VII has no shutters for temperature control of the annular radiator as opposed to that of the XIII.  Cabane struts of the VII are perpendicular while those of the XIII are canted forward...and in conjunction to the forward cabane, the VII utilized a cable to brace the interior wooden engine bearer whereas the XIII went to a more substantial steel tubing brace faired in wood.

Otherwise...appearances are the same...as are the dimensions...unless one has access to a plan view in which it will be noted that the XIII's ailerons are slightly larger than the VII's.  The XIII could be a difficult aircraft at lower airspeeds...I've wondered if the ailerons had something to do with that?

The changes resulted in a net 200 pound increase in overall weight...which probably amounted as a result of another Vickers and its associated ammunition.

So...the next time you make that trip to the museum or you're at LeBourget...you'll know the differences.... Wink Grin Smiley

Back to those parts I'm cutting out....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 10:25am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Absolutely!!

Not sure where or how I got started. My father brought a couple of Enya glow engines back from Korea, that may have been the thing that got me started. I think I had a Jim Walker .049 U-control that had a balloon gas tank.

I found a listing on eBay for the Jim Walker folding wing glider, ordered two of them to pass along to my son and grandson. They had to be the best flying gliders ever!

Remember Stromberg display models? Tried my hand at a few of those. I liked the Monogram Speedy-Built series, probably the first balsa and tissue models that I built.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:21am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Interesting where we all started. My father worked in the local hardware store in our little town in central Nebraska and he was building a U-Control plane in the back room and that lit my fire. Remember they stocked a few kits, mostly Comet and the kit art got me as well. Don't remember ever finishing one. Family migrated to California, built a few and dropped out again and here I am in Canada, building and having a great time. Once the nostalgia bug gets you, never leaves, only regret I waited so long to get back. Love your work and everybody's on this site
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:22pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, I love dime scale a/c. They build quickly and fly pretty good also. My favorite kit is the Vultee Attack., it usually goes OOS.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 1:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kerak wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:16am:
  Nostalgia is an integral part of the heart and soul....  No nostalgia...get yourself checked out.  Neal

I agree...nostalgia has a great deal to do with this great Free Flight (always capitalized) hobby!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:16am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Oh where to begin...seems I came into this hobby by someone providing me with a "dimer" kit way back during Eisenhower's first administration.  I was about seven or eight years old...can't recall the particulars...just that I had in my hands a "large box" with seemingly nothing in it!  Great marketing...selling a near-empty box.  It was a Fokker DVII...a dimer...that retailed for 29 cents.  Got the bones together...but that's where I hit the wall...no idea how to cover it with tissue.  Oh well...the fires were burning brightly.

Today, I enjoy going back to those times with re-construction projects.  That's where I'm going again...this time with Comet's 16"ws Spad.  Nostalgia is an integral part of the heart and soul....  No nostalgia...get yourself checked out.

The DVII and the Spad were a highly successful part of Comet's retail business for more than a half-century.  I'm certain those kits have a lot of fans still out there in the world.

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print