Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Back to my roots...a Comet Models Spad VII (Read 1438 times)
Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 5:44pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, nice work and I like the top and bottom spars.
Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:28pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well folks...components are now complete for this little SPAD.  Oh I'm certain there will be various details that will need addressing...but for the most part...we're ready for some tissue work.  Question is...what scheme...because there are many possibilities.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll go with a British VII...or even...maybe a Russian version.  Not only that...but it's time to try an alternative to my tried n' tested butyrate dope.  Some years back I constructed a Nieuport 11 and used floor polish in place of dope....  Although I've never used Eze Dope, I'd say the description of things were similar...sagging, puddling...took forever to finally cure...at least that was my impression.  I used a cream-colored tissue...so today, if it yellowed...I can't tell that much.  I think this time I'm going to use ordinary brushing lacquer...thinned at least 50-50 to retard shrinkage.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 11:55am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Just a friendly reminder to check out the symmetry of your plans before constructing....  Began the wing build...did one lower panel...then decided, just in case...to compare it to the other side...rib locations NOT a match.  That's interesting...length is pretty close, but the rib locations are off!  Maybe a lot of cooks in the kitchen over the years....

Ok...to get things to agree...just flip the same panel plan that I just constructed over...and build a mirror panel.  But then...gonna have to make certain the upper wing panel rib locations agree with the lower set....oh boy.

Have had a bit of experience in my life with ozalid-type blueprint machines...take a vellum drawing and make a thousand prints with an oszlid machine and things come out pretty accurate.  But if one were to then use the ozalid print to make another print...etc...on and on...things become very skewed.  That's what we're dealing with here...a drawing produced in 1935...printed over and over again...only the Deity knows what is now being used as source material (you can bet that it isn't the original drawing)...and well...just make certain to check things out before wasting a lot of time and material.  Smiley

This issue is pretty common in our hobby...but don't let it deter you! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
I love the stained glass look of the tissue finish of these planes.  Nothing quite like the sun shinning through as they pass overhead!!!  Many amazing flights and happy landing! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:47pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Paul...Mike!  Funny how I've transitioned over the years from "wishing" I could duplicate the actual aircraft in a model...to believing the model is the art in and of itself...all that translucent tissue...the bones showing through for whatever reason has an appeal to me.  In other words, I now see SnT models completely different than I did years ago.  Simple basic Comet kits for me...are really very attractive.

Again...thanks for looking in.  I'm building very slowly, I know...running out of go, I think...but doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it.  Wink Smiley

Thinking now about how I'm going to finish this model...what scheme.  Thinking that maybe it should get an RFC suit.  Was reading today that several hundred SPAD VII's were constructed in Great Britain during 1916-17, and though they were built to specs, none ever seemed to match the performance of their French-built kin!  Built in Britain by British-Nieuport and Bleriot-SPAD...go figure?  Quality control issues in Britain that the folk in France were able to get ironed out across the Channel.

Neal

Comets_Spad_Kits.jpg (165 KB | 3 )
Comets_Spad_Kits.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:38pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

That's going to be a pretty one Neal!

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:14pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Work of art Neal.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:09pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

First time I constructed this model many years ago...was right out of the box, just the way Comet intended...and I wasn't very satisfied.  Those kit-furnished hardwood wheels left much to be desired in appearance alone...and the nose/cowl just didn't look right either....  But then, all I had to go on was the box art!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  All the reference material we have now has changed the approach considerably. Wink

Remember those days when we all devoured the periodical publications...magazines.  The little store-keeper down the road used to come along and tell the kids, "Gotta buy to read," and we'd reply, "Gotta read to make a selection."  Cheesy  Smart-assed kids.  Grin Grin Grin  One of my favorites were those Walter Musciano cut-aways in American Modeler...see here, this is how it's constructed.  Of course, never saw anything fly...not in a magazine, but never doubted it would 'cause those models looked so great!  Always wondered how they constructed them so "perfectly?"  Trick photography...never show the wrinkles, etc.  Cool

SPAD is progressing...got to get those Hispano-Suiza rocker arm cover fairings done...after that...fuselage is complete.  5.5"dia prop to match my Comet DVII.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 6:08pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, nice wheels Smiley and the cowl looks really nice and symmetrical.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:54pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A Spad is one of the WWI aircraft that I haven't built yet.  You're making me want to build one in the near future!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Little bits of progress....

Neal

P1190157.jpg (97 KB | 2 )
P1190157.jpg
P1190161.jpg (57 KB | 3 )
P1190161.jpg
P1190162.jpg (62 KB | 2 )
P1190162.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:59am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Mike...always enjoy your comments.  You're spot-on about the fabric from Guynemer's SPAD being right next to the Shroud of Turin.  Grin Smiley

It's interesting the way media and public took to Guynemer...shy, quiet man, even frail, who became the indomitable warrior for France in the air.  Compare that to the manner in which Rene Fonck was received.  Fonck was a very unpleasant individual given to self-promotion and was outrightly rejected by the public.

Guynemer was killed while flying a SPAD XIII...by a "fortunate" shot from a Rumpler's observer/gunner...proof that even "gods" are vulnerable to the deeds of ordinary men and the fortunes of war.

The story of the aircraft we model is their essential heart and soul...their spirit and our inspiration.  At least, that's the way I see it.

Thanks again, Mike! Smiley

Neal

Georges_Guynemer.jpg (126 KB | 3 )
Georges_Guynemer.jpg
Hero_of_France.jpg (114 KB | 3 )
Hero_of_France.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:13am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Great work as usual Neal but as I've said before, wish I had a history teacher with your great delivery, brings the whole thing together nicely. As to the fabric, probably right next to the Shroud of Turin.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 11:00pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Mike...you're being very kind.  Smiley

Speaking of Rick, as in Rickenbacker, E.V., I believe that the first book I ever read cover to cover was "Fighting The Flying Circus" by the man himself...complete with all of its quaint terms like "aerodrome," and "reinversment" (as in Immelmann turn)...how about "archie"...many more.  I loved it!  Rick was something of a childhood hero for me...along with Mickey Mantle and Johnny U.  I always thought that there was more John Wayne in Eddie Rickenbacker than there was in John Wayne!  Grin  The man really was bigger than life...race car driver...Eastern Airline founder...Rickenbacker Automobiles...on and on.  Not to belabor the point...there's the WW2 tale of his survival adrift at sea for 21 days, "Seven Came Through."  I read an article once about a school class that attempted to contact any of the survivors of that life raft...and a couple of them actually came to visit the class!  Both attested that if it had not been for Rick's strength of will...none would have made it back alive!  He really was an authentic hero.  Smiley

How about those staff sergeant chevrons on Rick's sleeve...and the Signal Corps insignia.  The Army Air Service was part of the Signal Corps in those days.  Story goes that General Mitchell liked Rick's driving and mechanical abilities so much that he wanted to give him a reward...Rick asked to be transferred to flying!  You all know the rest of the story....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:58pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Very tidy woodwork on the nose Neal - enjoying seeing this one come together.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print