Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane 25 inch (Read 125 times)
Reply #9 - Today at 11:41am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You're making great progress!  This looks to be a screamer!  Keep up the great work!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Yesterday at 2:03pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Here is the fuselage after the weekends work.  There are lot's of things to figure out as I build.  The original plans are for a 6 foot span model which are scaled down to a 26 inch span model.  Many of the build techniques and materials specifications don't apply for the smaller size model.

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Yesterday at 1:52pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Here are a couple shots of the wings.

And here are a couple of shots of my radio gear I will be using after removing them from other planes.  I'm going to go with the standard rotary servos - I'm just not comfortable with the micro servos for this size plane. 

For motor I'm thinking of using a Firepower 300 w the Talon 25 ESC.  The 250's I have seem so small, the FP300 even looks small (see photo of it on the plans), but I'm more used to the physical size of gas motors.

WannaPlay_II_020.jpg (120 KB | 0 )
WannaPlay_II_020.jpg
WannaPlay_II_021.jpg (117 KB | 0 )
WannaPlay_II_021.jpg
WannaPlay_II_023.jpg (127 KB | 0 )
WannaPlay_II_023.jpg
WannaPlay_II_024.jpg (107 KB | 0 )
WannaPlay_II_024.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 2:08pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Top wing framed up  Smiley

WannaPlay_II_016.jpg (106 KB | 1 )
WannaPlay_II_016.jpg
WannaPlay_II_017.jpg (106 KB | 0 )
WannaPlay_II_017.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 2:27pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Bottom wing progress   Smiley  I have the ailerons cut and fitted.  I still need to bevel the front edge.  I've done an initial LE shaping and got things fairly smooth.  I do need to sand down the TE stock I'm using for the ailerons.

I pulled out a micro rotary servo last night and started to look at placement and mounting to utilize flexible pushrods.  I'm stumped!!  I need to have access to the server for replacement/adjustment etc. I would need a 'chin hatch' and that would only give limited access.  I'm thinking of trying two micro linear servos in the wings.  I think 2 rotary servos would be too heavy (one for each aileron). 

Tonight I'll work on prepping the ribs for the top wing as well as notching the LE and TE at rib locations.

What are everyone's thoughts on having the top wing/struts removable? vs fixed?

Brad

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I have the lower wing almost built, at least the basic frame.  I was held up a bit on the fully symmetrical airfoil and how to build it.  I ended up finding an airfoil that was the correct size on an old set of plans for a "fan Trainer" I had built.  It's much easier to work with and I think will fly a bit easier as well.  I forgot that biplanes have twice the ribs!! ha.  The bottom wing I'm beefing up with sheer webbing out to the landing gear mounts/ailerons.  I'll build the top wing lighter.

Brad

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 11:22am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I've decided to go with the 25 inch span plans.  The extra size will make everything easier.  I'll save my 16.5 plans for the future and build the Full Tilt Boogie version for free flight.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 8:53am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Another fascinating subject - this will be fun to watch come together.  For display you've got to model the tongue...

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 8:01am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

This is a great looking plane and I have no doubt you will find a way to get this linkage worked out.
Mike

"Vision is the art of seeing things unseen." James Joyce
IP Logged

Jan 8th, 2020 at 5:58pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

By posting this I'm committing to this build!!  I've been undecided and thinking I might do something easier..... but no.  I'm all in.

This is the Wanna Play II.  A highly modified Mong biplane flown by Tom Aberle which is the last 'rebuild' prior to selling the place to Patty Johnson who flew it as "Full Tilt Boogie".

I purchased plans for Full Tilt Boogie from Wendell Hosteller plans:  both the 35% scale , 61.5 inch span and a smaller 25 inch span which is about 15% scale.  I've scaled in down further to about a 16.5 inch span (which fits on 11x17 paper  Smiley).

I plan on using my micro RC gear using 4 channels:  elevator, rudder, ailerons and throttle.  I might skip the rudder control.

I'm still contemplating switching over to the 25 inch plans I have - I'm already experiencing issues with RC and my 16.5 version being small.  I've only built the stabilizer and I'm hitting issues with the short T-tail rudder and flexible pushrod up to the elevator.

Brad
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2020 at 11:19am by Brad »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print