Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Peanut Crosby CR4 (Read 1631 times)
Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:05pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Don, thanks for the profile photo it does fill in my ideas of how the a/c looked.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 10:44pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Not a problem Bob.  This next pic shows the other side of the fuse, and the 52 has quite a distinct 'meat ball' (yellow in colour according to plan).  Wondering if the airplane had the fuse number with a yellow back ground ('meat ball') on one side and just the number on the other side?

9042L-2.jpg (38 KB | 6 )
9042L-2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:23pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Don, thanks for posting the photo of the real a/c. Ive never seen this one.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 5:18pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

I think splice plates that allow removal of the wing tips.

9042L-1.jpg (38 KB | 6 )
9042L-1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 4:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

OOPs...my bad, wishful thinking!  What are the rectangles above and through the numbers for?

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:58pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Hi Tom,

Forgot to include a pic of the top side of the tissue.

CR_12.jpg (232 KB | 4 )
CR_12.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:20am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Don,
The chalking really makes the yellow pop from the looks of the tissue turned over to top side. Nice!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 8:15pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Printed and 'chalked' some tissue for the wing.  The 'chalk' is really compressed charcoal.

CR_9.jpg (289 KB | 7 )
CR_9.jpg
CR_10.jpg (237 KB | 7 )
CR_10.jpg
CR_11.jpg (221 KB | 5 )
CR_11.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 2:25pm

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Yes Don, that is correct.  You just need to buy the 3mm Project Knife Blade.  A set of two is $16.99.  Also the Cameo 4 has a 5 kg blade down force ability.  I hope to be able to experiment with this.  I am doggedly determined, however, to do this all from my Raspberry Pi using InkScape and not Silhouette Designer on a PC.  So that means I'll probably have to modify the Python code to get it working right. 

One thing you mentioned is the need for several passes to prevent balsa splitting.  Another approach may be to adjust the pressure (more) and the speed (down).  These can be selected from the computer screen menu before you send the cut to the machine.

Marlin

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:52pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Hi Mike, Marlin,

Just read the info on the Silhouette Cameo 4 and (I think)  discovered it will cut material up to 3 mm thick (almost 3x the thickness I can cut with my Portrait).  Being able to cut 1/16 and 3/32 sheet balsa certainly opens up a tonne of new projects.

Mike, Marlin (or anybody else), please don't hesitate to post anything relating to craft cutters on this thread.  I'm a slow builder, and it's always good to keep a thread going.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:56pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks Marlin - I have Inkscape but I'm not very far along the learning curve with it.  I've downloaded the extension and will give it a try.  I plan to chop up some cheap bond paper before attempting to cut balsa with the machine.

Will also have to determine whether the adjustable depth cutter blades will work with this first-generation Silhouette.

Good gouge on the multiple passes Don, will keep that in mind.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 1:28pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Hi Marlin,

My craft cutter will cut to a depth of .040" max with the blades provided with the cutter, so it does limit the thickness of balsa that can be used.  There are other blades available that will cut deeper, but I haven't tried them.  I believe Tony Ross has successfully made deeper cuts.

Also, when I make a cut, I do it in 6 or 8 passess.  Just keep resubmitting the cut file after adjusting the knife depth.  I found the balsa would tear if I tried to cut out parts in say, 2 or 3 passes.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:32am

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Mike, for Christmas I bought myself a new Silhouette (Cameo 4).  If you are proficient with Inkscape and can install Python on your computer without working up too much of a sweat, you might consider installing this software: https://github.com/fablabnbg/inkscape-silhouette

With this solution you do not need to use the Silhouette Designer software, instead you do all of your work in Inkscape. When you are ready to cut you go to the menu and do Tools->Export->Send To Silhouette and you get a menu that lets you select your preferences.  The preference menu gives you most of the options that the S. Designer gives you and should be sufficient to get you cutting.

I'm providing this info with the caveat that I, myself, am not yet able to cut properly because my cutter is so new that certain features have not been implemented yet.  However, I think your older cutter should do fine.  (I am able to score foam to a certain depth with my own Inkscape designs but I can't get the appropriate blade to cut fully through the foam yet).

Also note that if you do choose to experiment with this software and it doesn't work for you, you can always use the Silhouette Designer, i.e., you don't have to commit to using one or the other.

Marlin

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 2:05pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Thanks for the great comments guys. 

Tom:  Pres's plan shows the fuse circles as yellow with blue numbers so probably will go with that.  Not sure about the wing.  In the attached pic it looks like the registration is white, but the plan says yellow.

Mike:  If you are comfortable with a drafting program that can make a dxf file, I would use that.  The Silhouette reads a dxf file without problem.  For me, Tony Ross is the expert when it comes to making cut files for the craft cutter.

cr4-12.jpg (19 KB | 7 )
cr4-12.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:11pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Don - Fantastic work and the framing is top shelf. As Tom said, looking forward to the tissue on this, should be great.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print